Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 06:25 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Yes, you are. The United States has never had an official language although some erroneously think it’s “English.” Of course a business is going to market to its base and that will be different according to where you live in America.
The only base that businesses are catering to in this country are Spanish speakers. It's not Hispanic-Americans they are catering to because most of them also know English. So the base they are catering to are the Spanish speakers here illegally. Anything for a buck though, right?

Old 04-20-2024, 06:51 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Americans are the laziest in the world in learning a 2nd language. Learn Spanish and you've suddenly got 22 keys in your pocket, to 22 Spanish speaking countries.
I think this is a separate issue.. Native born Americans not motivated to learn second languages vs an ideological effort to advance multilingualism.

My broad, general question (in good faith), is what are the benefits of multilingualism? If an overwhelming majority of Americans speak English, and generations of American immigrants have attested that English speaking elevated their success.. what does America gain by actively pursuing multilingualism? I'm not seeing the benefit, only the balkanization..

Old 04-20-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I think this is a separate issue.. Native born Americans not motivated to learn second languages vs an ideological effort to advance multilingualism.

My broad, general question (in good faith), is what are the benefits of multilingualism? If an overwhelming majority of Americans speak English, and generations of American immigrants have attested that English speaking elevated their success.. what does America gain by actively pursuing multilingualism? I'm not seeing the benefit, only the balkanization..
Yep, balkinization is their goal instead of assimilation. They are the same ones who claim diversity is our strength. No, it keeps us divided not united. You're right, the overwhelmingly majority of Americans speak English not Spanish or any other language. Spanish speakers however are the ones who would like us to turn into a majority Spanish speaking country. They fool no one. Reconquista is alive and well. They are accomplishing it via massive illegal immigration to.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:54 AM

3,454 posts, read 2,781,479 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIKUkcNeZfQ
Are the good times really over for good?

Old 04-20-2024, 09:36 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
At the end of the day, though…it’s…just…a…language.

Applying this logic, where I grew up was majority Asian…lots of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Filipinos, and Indians. Are we supposed to give something up there, or…? We didn’t all speak the same language, but yet things got done. It’s a terrible place to be an adult, but I think the novelty of different folks helped make it a fantastic place to grow up.

Old 04-20-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
At the end of the day, though…it’s…just…a…language.

Applying this logic, where I grew up was majority Asian…lots of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Filipinos, and Indians. Are we supposed to give something up there, or…? We didn’t all speak the same language, but yet things got done. It’s a terrible place to be an adult, but I think the novelty of different folks helped make it a fantastic place to grow up.
I guess you're just not getting it. Cultural and linguistic clashes are becoming more and more of a division in our country.

Old 04-20-2024, 01:56 PM

1,934 posts, read 821,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I guess you're just not getting it. Cultural and linguistic clashes are becoming more and more of a division in our country.
That's because assimilation has become a dirty word.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:55 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
That's because assimilation has become a dirty word.
Not to me. And I am a leftist Democrat.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:32 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don’t get it. I’ve lived where it worked just fine, and it’s one of the most prosperous places in the country. People are messing something up which works just fine, organically, on its own if it’s not forced.

Old 04-20-2024, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t get it. I’ve lived where it worked just fine, and it’s one of the most prosperous places in the country. People are messing something up which works just fine, organically, on its own if it’s not forced.
Well, it's not working in many places where there is too much cultural diversity and English it taking a back seat to Spanish. There are entire towns and neighborhoods where English is hardly spoken and resembles Mexico or some other Latino country and that is directly due to this illegal invasion from south of our border. There are also towns and neighborhoods where other foreign languages are being spoken more than English and that is the norm along with them resembling a foreign country to. Who's messing something up and what does that even mean? I don't know what's fine about not being able to relate to those foreign cultures and not being able to communicate. We are losing our identity as a nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration