Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 01:00 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Went to the mail box and got a circular from Lowes. I generally haven't got a sales circular from them in a few years..

I started looking at it and it was completely in Spanish. The whole thing from beginning to end was in Spanish. I live in SW Florida and in a diverse neighborhood , hardy all Spanish. Most speak English. Am I still in America?
FYI,
America is the 4th country in the World with most Spanish speakers

Old 04-19-2024, 01:08 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What I don't get is that we are constantly being told that Spanish speakers are assimilating linguistiically in our country and know English and in fact a good many of them are citizens of our country and do know English. So why do they need anything provided to them in Spanish? I'll tell you why. It's because of the massive number of illegal alien Spanish speakers in our country. It's pandering at it's finest.
I've wondered the same thing. In order to become an American citizen one of the conditions is to read, write, understand and speak our language which for those who don't know is English.

Since the majority of illegal invaders come from Latin America. By adopting Spanish as a second language makes it that much easier for the illegal invaders to live in our country and blend into our cities and communities. Multiculturalism will spell the end of our Constitutional Republic, this is intentional in order for the Democrat Party to maintain their power structure. As these illegal invaders are only here to be taken care of courtesy of the American tax payer. They will never bite the hand that feeds them and the Democrat Party is all too willing to accommodate them.

Anyone who wants to put a stop to this illegal invasion will be labeled as a racist by the Democrat Party. But this has nothing to do with race. The United States of America has become the world's dumping ground for its indigent population and criminals. After all if the American taxpayer pays to take care of these people they no longer have to and they are now our problem.

Quote:
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else . . . .. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation . . . .You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it." - Adrian Rogers, 1931

Old 04-19-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I've mentioned this before but for those who haven't seen it --- Spanish was my Dad's first language. Despite that, whenever he had to call a business and got the recording that said "Para Espanol, oprime dos", he refused to do so. As he put it, it has no place in this country.

However, he did make an exception when we lived in PR for a time when I was a kid. If he had to call a business, he would speak Spanish then. That was understandable as Spanish is the official language in PR.

Because we had what was referred to as a "Spanish-American surname", once I was out on my own and had my phone number listed, I would sometimes get calls where the caller spoke Spanish. Same thing happened to my brother and SIL. They were living on Long Island then and they noticed that flyers with coupons and ads came to them in Spanish. My SIL made an interesting observation---she said the coupons printed in Spanish were better than the ones printed in English.

Those who think giving things in Spanish is being helpful, have it all wrong. What it does is discourage learning English. English is the language that binds us all. Many legal immigrants get it. For example, once when I was waiting in line to place an order, two young women behind me were conversing in English. Both had East Indian accents. What that told me was that they were from different parts of India and English was the one language they had in common.

Then there is this --- Many of the illegals are functionally illiterate and can't read all that signage in Spanish, let alone English.

Plus there is this takeaway --- We have people who have immigrated here from literally all over the world. The non-Spanish speakers don't get everything given to them in their native languages. Rather, they are expected to learn English.
Indeed it does!

Old 04-19-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I can offer my opinion, while he is still formulating his answer to your request to elaborate over his statement: Assimilation died when the powers saw it would get in the way of letting in mass amounts of migrants on a sustained basis. It’s by design.

America used to require immigrants to assimilate. E pluribus unum. Immigrants were expected to adopt American language, culture, norms, dress, and habits. They were discourage from failing to assimulate in various ways. For example, if you went to court and could not speak or read English, you were not likely to win your case. You needed to learn conversational English in order to function in court.

More recently, US Progressives have encouraged immigrants NOT to assimilate. They are encouraged to embrace their tibal hypenated difference from all of the other American tribes, be it African American or Hispanic or Asian or East Indian, whathaveyou.

They encourage you NOT to learn English by providing all election material and court material & etc., in your old native home language, then provide interpreters at the police station if you are arrested or if you are making a crime report, etc. They have provided a cultural infrastructure to insure you never have to learn English and can function from cradle to grave without knowing any English, if you so choose. I see youtube videos of immigrants who have been in America for 25 or 30 years, and can't speak a single word in English to the reporter interviewing them.

The goal is Balkanization.

They don't want a melting pot of Americans assimilated from all manner of immigrants from a multitude of nations. No more E pluribus unum -- out of many, one. Now the goal is, out of many, remain many. Embrace your old cultural diffences rather than finding common similarities with other US subcultures.

As he said, this is by design. The goal of Balkanization is "divide and conquer". The US government wants us to be suspicious and distrustful of other "tribes", and not to help them when there is a need, but ignore their plight when we only look out for our "tribe".

He can elaborate when he meant by his statement, but I agreed with what he wrote and this is my explanation of what I agree with.

I am sure he will be happy to correct me if I am wrong in what I wrote.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:03 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,631 times
In increasingly more places such as FL, TX, and CA, employers demand bilingual applicants only. For instance, military wives at Fort Bliss (El Paso) are unable to get jobs.

Old 04-19-2024, 11:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with people in the United States speaking a language other than English or receiving advertising in a language other than English. It is very silly to get panties in a twist over it.
Even though our thread is about advertising fliers, the issue is obviously much deeper..
It's about a balkanizing American society, that needs some unifying elements to retain social cohesion. Multilingualism does not unify cultures, it divides them.
It's not an issue of right or "wrong". To me, it's about practicality.
I've never heard a convincing argument of how supporting multilingualism strengthens a society.. and from my own firsthand experience, I see that multilingualism keeps a country fragmented.

(Regarding your post #32) Personally I don't subscribe to the idea that since Spanish conquistadors of Central America spoke Spanish.. Spanish somehow has an eternal claim on the language of California, Texas, etc. It's American now, and benefits all parties involved there to speak English. (peace)

Old 04-20-2024, 01:16 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,274,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Went to the mail box and got a circular from Lowes. I generally haven't got a sales circular from them in a few years..

I started looking at it and it was completely in Spanish. The whole thing from beginning to end was in Spanish. I live in SW Florida and in a diverse neighborhood , hardy all Spanish. Most speak English. Am I still in America?
Yes, you are. The United States has never had an official language although some erroneously think it’s “English.” Of course a business is going to market to its base and that will be different according to where you live in America.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:31 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
When we acquired all this land from Mexico, in fine print at the bottom: CA, AZ, in particular, would always remain bi-lingual. Florida is a separate issue.

Americans are the laziest in the world in learning a 2nd language. Learn Spanish and you've suddenly got 22 keys in your pocket, to 22 Spanish speaking countries.

Old 04-20-2024, 06:23 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When we acquired all this land from Mexico, in fine print at the bottom: CA, AZ, in particular, would always remain bi-lingual. Florida is a separate issue.

Americans are the laziest in the world in learning a 2nd language. Learn Spanish and you've suddenly got 22 keys in your pocket, to 22 Spanish speaking countries.
It's not laziness it's not needing to learn Spanish when there are far more important things to learn. Why just Spanish anyway? We have several Americans who can speak a different foreign tongue should we learn them all? Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so we have our common national de facto language to communicate in.

When just visiting any foreign country it's a good thing to know a few sentences or words of their native tongue to get by but beyond that it's ridiculous to become fluent in their entire language just for a visit. If you don't use it you lose it!

I notice that it's mostly Spanish speakers in this country that demand that we learn their language. How arrogant! English is our national de facto language not Spanish. The only reason we hear so much Spanish these days is directly due to the number of Spanish speaking illegals here. No thanks!

Old 04-20-2024, 06:24 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
SW Florida is a hotbed of WASPS, a bunch of retirees from the northeast, not exactly what you'd see in Your more likely to see a Goldman, Silverberg, or Cohen in SW Florida than those with Spanish heritage.
Those may not be WASPs though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Yes, you are. The United States has never had an official language although some erroneously think it’s “English.” Of course a business is going to market to its base and that will be different according to where you live in America.
English is what's known as the "working" language. Ditto Australia and Great Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration