Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 09:00 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I want to know how largely ignorant and sometimes illiterate migrants decide spontaneously and in large numbers to take the arduous trip to the U.S. I seriously think some news person who speaks Spanish should interview some of the migrants and report on exactly what the migrants were promised and who made the promises. Too bad if it has to be conservative media.

I would not expect people, unless induced, to be able to come in the hundreds of thousands from isolated rural villages.
I think they come the same way that all immigrants came before them. Life where they live, is dangerous. It could cost them their lives.

Whether they were victims of the potato famine, the pograms of Russia, the early rumblings of Nazism, the desire to practice Protestantism in France or other Catholic countries, poverty caused by a society that did not permit average people to read, evil overlords, persecution by the royals, WHATEVER - where they lived was dangerous and they had leave. Even if they had no idea where they were going, or if it would be any better. And, remember, if could have been even worse. They knew that they had to leave. They heard about this country and it's ideals.

Could it be better? Maybe. It was a risk worth taking.

It is no different with these immigrants. They also lack passports and visas. When they arrived at Ellis Island or Plymouth Rock, they were not invited. They had no legal right to be here. However, it was a way to survive.

These people to try to migrate here today are escaping organized crime, gangs, drug lords - and worse.

Instead of a WAQLL, built a Welcoming Center, that gives our newest Americans papers that permit them to be here. Instead of giving low-wage work to CHINA - give it to people who want to be AMERICANS!

Our newest future Americans have no path to become "legal" as some of you call them.

Forget a WALL - build a BRIDGE and a patriotism center where they are MADE AMERICANS.

Instead of helping China's economy, help our OWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 11:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I did not know that N. Tesla and H. Kissinger were BOTH illegal aliens.

Can you provide documentation for that?
SUBJECT TITLE : Who Tells the Migrants, Most of Whom are Not Educated, to Come to the U .S.? I Want to Know

Bolded mine- Ergo the subject is on the matter of migrants- Had the original threadstarter said " Who tells the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" then maybe we can open a conversation. At this point most are displaying rightwing rhetoric . My perspective is more in line with the subject matter of migration to the USA .

Old 01-09-2024, 11:34 PM

14,217 posts, read 4,587,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
SUBJECT TITLE : Who Tells the Migrants, Most of Whom are Not Educated, to Come to the U .S.? I Want to Know

Bolded mine- Ergo the subject is on the matter of migrants- Had the original threadstarter said " Who tells the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" then maybe we can open a conversation. At this point most are displaying rightwing rhetoric . My perspective is more in line with the subject matter of migration to the USA .
The OP also wrote

Quote:
I want to know how largely ignorant and sometimes illiterate migrants decide spontaneously and in large numbers to take the arduous trip
Do legal migrants make “arduous trip” to the USA? It’s quite clear from the OP post that he was talking about illegal immigrants. Also, this is an “ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION” sub forum. Legal immigration talk is here https://www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

Why do left wingers like yourself only pick and choose what you want to see?

Old 01-10-2024, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisal1902 View Post
Question: Admit how many?
The whole world, obviously

Old 01-10-2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think they come the same way that all immigrants came before them. Life where they live, is dangerous. It could cost them their lives.

Whether they were victims of the potato famine, the pograms of Russia, the early rumblings of Nazism, the desire to practice Protestantism in France or other Catholic countries, poverty caused by a society that did not permit average people to read, evil overlords, persecution by the royals, WHATEVER - where they lived was dangerous and they had leave. Even if they had no idea where they were going, or if it would be any better. And, remember, if could have been even worse. They knew that they had to leave. They heard about this country and it's ideals.

It is no different with these immigrants. They also lack passports and visas. When they arrived at Ellis Island or Plymouth Rock, they were not invited. They had no legal right to be here. However, it was a way to survive.

These people to try to migrate here today are escaping organized crime, gangs, drug lords - and worse.

Instead of a WAQLL, built a Welcoming Center, that gives our newest Americans papers that permit them to be here. Instead of giving low-wage work to CHINA - give it to people who want to be AMERICANS!

Our newest future Americans have no path to become "legal" as some of you call them.

Forget a WALL - build a BRIDGE and a patriotism center where they are MADE AMERICANS.

When the immigrants came through Ellis Island, there were no social safety nets like we have now. It was you either you swim or you drown. Open your eyes and see what’s going on in NYC and Chicago with their migrant crisis. The lower class Americans, mostly black and Hispanic, have to compete for resources with the new migrants. We can’t even take care of our homeless Americans, yet we somehow will be able to take care of the worlds poorest?

Also, we can buy cheap crap from Walmart made in China because the Chinese abused their workers aka “Chinese sweatshop” and abused their environment with harmful industrial waste. Do you think we are going to be doing the same thing with the “new Americans” and dump industrial waste in Colorado river?

Appreciate your enthusiasm and utopian ideology , but real life doesn’t work like that

Last edited by Du Ma; 01-10-2024 at 12:22 AM..

Old 01-10-2024, 06:49 AM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

You're wrong! There was no law preventing the early immigrants from coming here. They came here under the rules in place at the time. These present day illegals are not coming here under the rules set in place today. It's against to law to sneak into our country illegally. The early immigrants did not sneak into our country they came through Ellis Island where they were vetted.

As for those using the excuses you denoted in your post to flee their countries today to claim asylum they aren't coming here under our asylum rules in place either. Those are not viable asylum claims. So yes, there is a difference between the early immigrants and the illegal aliens of today and bogus asylum claimants.

Future Americans is that what they are called by the liberal left and ethnocentrics now? There is a process to become an American and it starts with them applying to come here first from their home countries and waiting to be accepted. You don't just show up at our border without papers or sneak into our country. The wall is to keep out those who don't follow our laws.

These poor, unskilled and uneducated foreigners don't help our economy they take way more than they give. At least with outsourcing we don't have to cover their socials costs, are avoiding the overcrowding that they cause and the added strain on our social and natural resources and they wouldn't be taking jobs from Americans by working for less. There is no benefit to that!

Old 01-10-2024, 08:00 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're wrong! There was no law preventing the early immigrants from coming here. They came here under the rules in place at the time. These present day illegals are not coming here under the rules set in place today. It's against to law to sneak into our country illegally. The early immigrants did not sneak into our country they came through Ellis Island where they were vetted.
No, early immigrants just showed up and started claiming land without permission from the people who lived here. Then they started making rules to keep others from doing the same.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:12 AM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
No, early immigrants just showed up and started claiming land without permission from the people who lived here. Then they started making rules to keep others from doing the same.
Those weren't immigrants they were settlers. Immigration wasn't established law until after we became a country with borders, a government and with immigration laws. The settlers from Europe had every right to come here before that. There was no permission needed and no land was owned. Even those who lived here prior to that migrated here to. They didn't just sprout up out of the ground like corn, you know.

What happened hundreds of years ago has nothing to do with our right as an established country today to have modern immigration laws and to enforce them.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:28 AM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Borders mean nothing if you don't have the will and manpower to deter and send them back. We are openly allowing people to come in the only deterrence is not giving people the means to survive on these lands but lately the sanctuary cities are doing so against the wishes of the citizens. You've voted for these government workers that are providing migrants shelter and resources. This is your choice as voters.

I explained this to someone who complained about all these illegals but they would still not vote against the democrats. I guess the Republicans are still evil in their eyes and are willing to keep getting screwed by the illegals coming in than switching parties.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:36 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Those weren't immigrants they were settlers. Immigration wasn't established law until after we became a country with borders, a government and with immigration laws. The settlers from Europe had every right to come here before that. There was no permission needed and no land was owned. Even those who lived here prior to that migrated here to. They didn't just sprout up out of the ground like corn, you know.

What happened hundreds of years ago has nothing to do with our right as an established country today to have modern immigration laws and to enforce them.

My dad (a career marine) used to call this sort of logic "shove off mac, the boat's loaded" or "I've got mine."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration