Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:22 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,292 times

Advertisements

I don't think there's anything wrong with "uneducated", because that's just a description, to me. Do people see that as offensive?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 AM

902 posts, read 717,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with "uneducated", because that's just a description, to me. Do people see that as offensive?
I agree but I am guessing that if one is uneducated then they might see it as offensive. I am uneducated and ignorant about many things, rockets for one thing. People can be and ALL of us are uneducated and ignorant about many things. That is just a fact.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,605 times
I hope calling people who want some sort of legalization for illegal immigrants open borders,trollls, unpatriotic etc stops too.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It all depends on the context. When I've heard "The only people against illegal immigration are uneducated hillbillies", then I believe the poster meant it to be offensive.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 AM

402 posts, read 1,060,916 times
I guess I fall into the Guilty list here by calling my Governor an Anchor Baby. Not only was I personally attacked for that but the white race, Texas and AZ were also attacked as well in one poster's reply to my post .

Re:
Quote:
Calling Bill Richardson an "anchor baby" is ignorant, racist, and clueless. I don't think some Latino counterparts in New Mexico would be very warming to that statement. I remember someone complaining about how racist Latinos are in New Mexico. With a statement like that, they'll probably think you're a honky from Texas or a Bike Hog from AZ. All is forgiven by me friend.
Does slandering States, also fall into the rules we have just been reminded of ? Just curious.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:24 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Did you call the Governor an Anchor Baby in an attempt to disparage him? If you did, you are as guilty as anyone else for unnecessary slurs.

And those that retorted with counter-slurs are equally guilty.

How about civil discussion, sans slurs and racial remarks on everyone's part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
I guess I fall into the Guilty list here by calling my Governor an Anchor Baby. Not only was I personally attacked for that but the white race, Texas and AZ were also attacked as well in one poster's reply to my post .

Re:

Does slandering States, also fall into the rules we have just been reminded of ? Just curious.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:43 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Did you call the Governor an Anchor Baby in an attempt to disparage him? If you did, you are as guilty as anyone else for unnecessary slurs.

And those that retorted with counter-slurs are equally guilty.

How about civil discussion, sans slurs and racial remarks on everyone's part?
Yes, I believe we can do without things that are intended to infuriate. Once things devolve into those types of scenarios, responses don't contain anything worthwhile.

I'm asking for you all to seriously consider these measures because I see people on both sides of the issue attempting to make their points in a civil manner, and those attempts to reach out are not really noticed or rewarded by those on the opposing side.

I've also noticed the more people post on here the more engaged they become in the discussion and they feel a kind of ownership in the debate; they become part of the long-term discussion and would like to maintain a respectable persona.

All it takes is one or two "choice words" sprinkled into the conversation that slander an entire group of people for the discussions to erupt into a shouting match. THAT is what I want to avoid.

For example, instead of saying "illegal lover," "redneck," or any other such pejorative, let's try and keep the discussion straightforward and discuss facts with reputable sources (at least as reputable as possible). If the source is obviously biased, and most are, instead of yelling at the person promoting the source, try and discuss those issues with which you disagree in the most civil manner possible and perhaps some sort of middle ground can be reached and the discussion can end on a civil tone. Nothing will be perfect, but I think using these techniques will go a long way in fostering rational debate.

I've noticed that most who are pro-illegal immigration may not necessarily be pro-illegal as much as they don't believe a rational solution can be reached using the current rhetoric and/or policies. But when the discussion takes a negative turn, they become irritated and go into attack mode.

Likewise, most who are anti-illegal are not harsh or radical either, but when discussions digress, they become irritated as well and the same attack mode mentality goes into action.

Intentional "buzz words" used by both sides prevent either side from making any kind of headway in the discussion. The more civil the remarks, and even an occasional "positive rep" when you see someone from the "other side" making a sensible remark will go a long way toward promoting trust than you might think.

Once a person sees that someone on the other side of the issue is reaching out, even if just a little bit, the discussions tend to become much more civil and rewarding.

I hope I'm making some sense here and have not offended anyone. My intent is to unite us all into looking for some kind of common ground, however little that may be.

-Synopsis

Last edited by Synopsis; 01-17-2008 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM

402 posts, read 1,060,916 times
Quote:
Did you call the Governor an Anchor Baby in an attempt to disparage him?

Of course not, I was simply making that statement because He, himself told the world that his father sent his mom to US from Mexico to to be born here, to me that is an Anchor baby.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:30 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I hope calling people who want some sort of legalization for illegal immigrants open borders,trollls, unpatriotic etc stops too.
And I hope that people that are anti illegals are not called racist or bigots anymore.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
And I hope that people that are anti illegals are not called racist or bigots anymore.
This is my intent Nea1. I want to leave racism and bigotry out of the discussion on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration