Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,662,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone

Costco is in the news cycle again. Per today's Post Register Idaho Falls Mayor, Jared Fuhriman, was contacted by Costco recently to be informed they are doing "a study on the region's demographics." This is good news for Idaho Falls, IMHO, given the terms ( they (I. F. City Council) set with Costco to make the zoning changes and incentives offered to Costco. In return, Costco had to guarantee 100 new jobs at the lowest entry rate for future employees.

Also included in the article was Ammon Mayor, Steve Fuhriman's reaction. Mayor S. Fuhriman was quoted essentially saying he didn't know about the study but the fact the company was interested in the area was good. Later Mayor Steve Fuhriman said something I personally find tacky and classless. From Zach Kyle's article today Mayor Steve Fuhriman was quoted as saying, " 'But it's not good news until they announce Costco is coming to Ammon.'" WOW! What if Ammon residents are employed at an Idaho Falls Costco, does that not help Ammon? And what secondary business may locate in Bonneville County given a Costco draw?

Potentially more confusing to me, or something Mr. Kyle opted not to include in his article, was the role of Ball Ventures. Maybe he doesn't know, but if not, why not? It's an easy path to follow.

Overall, maybe an additional reason to smile on St. Patty's day

MSR
This all sounds like a normal discourse when a deal is imminent. I would expect an IF or Ammon announcement soon. But as I posted on another thread, both properties that would seem to be in play still have "for sale" signs. So, when one of those signs come down, we will know. For those who drive this route, keep a keen eye!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
This all sounds like a normal discourse when a deal is imminent. I would expect an IF or Ammon announcement soon. But as I posted on another thread, both properties that would seem to be in play still have "for sale" signs. So, when one of those signs come down, we will know. For those who drive this route, keep a keen eye!
I don't know how long the study will take. Plus, the X factor no one talks about is Ball Ventures.

I'm just disappointed in how the mayor of Ammon responded. Perhaps he got a DIFFERENT call from Costco and wasn't pleased with the results.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It looks like the City of I.F. will finally be forced to replace the downtown Fire Station. I can't think of which parking lots downtown would be best for building the Fire Station. So that is one to watch too, b/c they have to build or someone is going to get hurt, if not many, in their present building. However, taking one empty parking lot downtown creates a shortage of parking. What other answers for parking exist?

MSR

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM

432 posts, read 533,727 times
I think the Mayor of Ammon had his feelings hurt because Costco didn't call him too. Either property is extremely desirable at this point, Costco just needs to flip a coin honestly.

And the fire station being replaced could actually jump start some downtown redevelopment. I would say the time is right to ask the INL to fund the parking garage so that the whole "I don't go downtown cause there's no parking" issue goes away.Don't get me wrong the work done downtown over the last 5-10 years has done wonders, but something big needs to happen or companies will continue to build on large parcels that won't cost them as much as a downtown property would.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
I think the Mayor of Ammon had his feelings hurt because Costco didn't call him too. Either property is extremely desirable at this point, Costco just needs to flip a coin honestly.

And the fire station being replaced could actually jump start some downtown redevelopment. I would say the time is right to ask the INL to fund the parking garage so that the whole "I don't go downtown cause there's no parking" issue goes away.Don't get me wrong the work done downtown over the last 5-10 years has done wonders, but something big needs to happen or companies will continue to build on large parcels that won't cost them as much as a downtown property would.
Interesting thought about asking INL (or sub-contractors) about downtown. I don't disagree with you IFGuy, I just want to understand more how you arrived at that thought so let me be the Devil's Advocate.

If you were an INL Contractor Decision maker (or if you were on the IF City Council and approached INL) what would be your key points of why it was INL's turn to step up and help? It would be easy for them to say they are west of the river and don't go downtown. What's the direct benefit to INL for stepping up to the leadership plate?

BTW - with the new facilities on University Blvd, does the Skyline fire station have enough equipment to deal with any fires in the new buildings, or do they rely on equipment from downtown? If it's the later, that's where I'd start to have discussions.

MSR

Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 PM

432 posts, read 533,727 times
If you go to the Idaho Falls Downtown Development website, there's is a link for a parking structure and if i remember correctly, the INL would be the main contributer as well as for the walking bridge over the river.

The fire station on Skyline is no longer, I think the airport fire dept and the downtown crew cover that area now.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
If you go to the Idaho Falls Downtown Development website, there's is a link for a parking structure and if i remember correctly, the INL would be the main contributer as well as for the walking bridge over the river.

The fire station on Skyline is no longer, I think the airport fire dept and the downtown crew cover that area now.
You're right about the fire station. DUH on my part - I hope you read your mail and understand how I would have made that goof. The newer station is closer to Melaleuca's expanding County Campus. Actually, I wonder if the county will have to put additional equipment at that fire station to cover all the additional buildings Frank is adding.

That information alone is reason enough of why the ONLY fire station downtown that is north of Broadway and would cover INL facilities should get some help from BAE or other contractors at INL.

Thanks

MSR

Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM

I just wanted to clarify IF Guy, was the rezoning etc. for FV on the west or east side of Sunnyside?

There's a hearing permit for "WATS LLP, Cromwell Trust, and Melaleuca Inc., for rezone from Agriculture A-1 to General Commercial C-2. GENERAL LOCATION: Property lying East of Interstate 15 and South of Sunnyside Road," That would be Melaleuca on the east side. I'm not sure why Melaleuca would be part of Commercial rezoning unless they plan to open a store and maybe be part of a larger development.

Does anyone remember the original planned size of the Outlet Malls - Sunnyside Crossing?

Is this what you referring to or is this in addition to what you originally mentioned as over 200 acres being rezoned? It is about 217acres and it borders the west side of Gem Lake and along the river. I can think of lots of commercial businesses that could benefit
from such a close connection to fishing, boating and water access.

If this is what you original meant IFGuy, then I owe you an apology. I somehow thought the property you mentioned was west of I-15. Maybe there is more than one hearing and maybe ~ 200 acres on each side of the Sunnyside - I-15 exit are being zoned differently for different purposes.

If anyone else knows, please feel free to comment.

Thanks

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 03-24-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM

I was also glad to see the bid request for the 5,000 sq ft. expansion and remodeling for the IFRA terminal. Let the building begin

MSR

Old 03-24-2013, 04:04 PM

Just found this. Perhaps this will clarify the above rezoning.

From Paul Menser at bizmojoidaho.com: The rezoning above is for the Smith Group.

BizMojo Idaho: Smith Group plans to move Chevy, Honda dealerships to Sunnyside Road

I'm still confused/puzzled why Melaleuca would be part of that deal.

So maybe there is indeed a different rezoning on the west side of Sunnyside?

MSR

Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 AM

I'd like to thank Jeff Robison, Post Register, for answering the question about a portion of what is being rezoned on Sunnyside Road. WATS, LLP is the Smith Group requesting the rezoning for a car dealership. What Robison also added is the commercial rezoning requested by the three different businesses/trusts previously listed, only announced plans for the WATS, LLP (Smith Group). Whatever plans Melaleuca and a Cromwell Trust Fund have for the area were not disclosed.

It was kind of odd to me to read what Robison wrote given how posts had been written here the last week. If you have access to the PR, check out what he wrote in the Business section and judge for yourself whether or not the wording seemed quite familiar.

FWIW, Robison didn't utilize bizmojo.com as a source. LOL (Paul Menser who writes the bizmojo.com was a long-time employee of the PR and who covered the business news and penned the weekly column). Many of us were happy to see him have a forum again via IF Magazine to update business news.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls