Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 10:40 AM

10,845 posts, read 4,529,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
When I had my nat gas generator installed, I had to have a new larger gas line and tap to the house installed to service the unit as well as the rest of the house. The gas company did it for free.

niiice. I asked peoples gas (my co) for a 30-35 kweq (as I am all gas so my hotel loads are high) and the quote was like buying a used rv....no thanks I said...5 gallon cans much easier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 01:48 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
Start calling early. ...........

I'll second that.

My son bought my generator as a Christmas gift so I didn't deal with any of it myself, but he was told there would be a 6 months wait because there wasn't a generator available. About three months into the wait, someone else canceled their order after their generator arrived and it was the size (but not the brand) wanted here and my son grabbed it up really quick.

So even with some accidental good fortune, it was a three month wait for the actual generator.

I talked to my electrician a couple of days ago and he says the wait for generators and for the generator parts needed is even longer now. He has a large waiting list and can't take care of it because he can't get generators.

So if you want one that is installed, I suggest you get on the waiting list.

A smaller portable generator might be easier to find, if you are happy to do the extension cord thing, which can work. My son walked right into the Honda dealership and bought the small generator he wanted for camping and they had it in stock. That size would run a couple of lights and your fridge. It runs the air-conditioner in my son's camper, but probably would not run electric heat or a house size AC.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:24 PM

841 posts, read 553,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I’ve been on their email list and just today, got yet another, “get a quote and a 7 year warranty free” email. Ours came from Northern Tool and will be installed in the next month or so. It’s been at the builder’s warehouse for a few weeks. Our home is new and the electrician had no issues accommodating their transfer switch and the wiring requirements. I’ll call them tomorrow and see if I can’t get the warranty bump.
Yes! That is what it was. My dad had to call and give them our electrician's name to get it all tied together since the electrician is the one who buys the generators.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:37 PM

841 posts, read 553,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Total cost for the generator, installation, site work was around $7K. Note that a standby generator does require some routine maintenance like changing the oil and replacing the battery, and you need to plan who's going to do any repairs if there's a problem (not me). I discovered that often generator sales and installation companies will only service what they sell, my installer didn't service anything after 90 days, and it was a pain finding an independent company to provide service particularly on a urgent basis. If I was going to do things over, I would have made sure that my installer (electrician) was on board with servicing the generator.
Yes, my parents went with an electrical contractor who does a lot of generators and made sure maintenance was offered. For services, their website advertises - "Residential Generator -
We meet with owner to determine the needs, size, and location for a backup power system. We perform the necessary dirtwork concrete pad and enter connection with the existing electrical service. We complete a startup and test along with instruction before the owner. We can provide maintenance and service for the generator for the owners convenience."

Really, they will do everything except for running a propane line. And they did give my dad names for that part since our propane company stopped doing it. If you are going to go big, try to find a company that will do it all.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:25 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
fuel is the most important consideration.........my buddy built a 8K sq ft house and put in a huge generator. It would not fit in a long bed pickup truck, it arrived on a flatbed and got lowered in by crane. You could barely hear it run.

The glitch? Propane tank was 250 gallons, it ran dry in less than 48 hours of run time......ooops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House