Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,369 times

Advertisements

I read lots of reviews on using inversion tables for lower back issues. Mixed reviews but many said it helped. So a week ago I purchased one. Wow, has it helped! I started slow, relaxed and did not force the inversion too fast. The second time I used the table I was totally relaxed and about 80 degrees back. I felt a hard pop and click in the back and felt a cool feeling run down to my legs where the nerve had been piched for months. I could feel my feet fully again! I felt the disk pop back in and it was the most wonderful feeling ever!

Been using it for a week now and worked up to 20 minutes fully inverted and the benefits have been dramatic! I can walk again! I can roll over in bed without having to use the headboard and arms to roll over. First time I could walk more then a block in almost a year now! Pain is about 75% gone for the time being.

I use daily for two 30 minute sessions and ice down the back between use.

Doesn't work for everyone, but it sure has for me. Thought I would share my results.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 08:05 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
Love mine. I hang completely by my ankles and with a little flexing stretching can totally work my back out. Once that is done it is totally relaxing to just hang there for a few minutes.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
That's great! Which ones did you buy? I might have to break down and buy one for hubster.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Used to get a lot of chiropractic done, he had an inversion bar in the the workout room, decompresses the neck and spine, your upper body's hanging completely upside down though. It definitely helped me.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Used to get a lot of chiropractic done, he had an inversion bar in the the workout room, decompresses the neck and spine, your upper body's hanging completely upside down though. It definitely helped me.
Yeah that is how I use mine. It is considered "advanced" on an inversion table but all it is is getting used to how the table works and familiar enough with your body to know how far or how much is too much. You just set the stop at more than 180 so it hangs farther back than gravity holds you. At that point it is just your ankles holding you and you are hanging free.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
That's great! Which ones did you buy? I might have to break down and buy one for hubster.
I bought the Teeter Hangups. A little more money, but well worth it. The results have been dramatic for me thus far. For the past 6 months I was unable to even put my own socks and shoes on, or stand without using support to get upright. All that is gone now.

I have worked my way up to full inversion and do about 10 minutes of upside down crunches, twice a day, with another20 minutes of traction. This is supposed to force the last disk inward back into place and build muscle around it to hopefully hold it there. So far so good.

I have went from being incapacitated, using a walker to stand, sit, could not even roll over in bed, etc. to going for 2 mile walks in under 9 days now. There is no placebo affect with me, it's real.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
they're great ... but just a warning about them for people with uncontrolled high blood pressure.
in that case, definitely not advised.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 AM

8 posts, read 214,041 times
Good to know about your recovery. Back pains are killing, i know very well.
You did the right thing by trying inversion therapy for your problem.
Inversion therapy has lots of other benefits too.

1. Maintains your height. Regularly inverting will help you avoid the "shrinkage" others your age are showing because of the cumulative effect of gravity over a lifetime.

2. Improves circulation. When you're inverted, your body can circulate your blood aided by gravity rather than having to work against it. In addition, with inversion, gravity helps the lymphatic system clear faster, easing the aches and pains of stiff muscles.

3. Relieves stress. A full-body stretch feels rejuvenating! And the inversion table makes that relaxation easier to attain than climbing on a jungle gym or taking a yoga class. Many people sleep better with regular inversion therapy.

4. Heightens mental alertness. Any upside-down activity increases the supply of oxygen to the brain, which many authorities believe helps you maintain mental sharpness.

5. Increases flexibility and range of motion. With inversion, your joints stay healthy and supple, so that you can easily remain as active as you were in your younger years.

6. Improves posture. The stretch that comes with reversing the direction of gravity helps you sit, stand and move with more ease and grace.

7. Realigns the spine after workouts. Running and other aerobic activities inevitably compress your spine, frequently unevenly. One-sided activities like golf or tennis often pull the spine out of alignment. During inversion, minor misalignments often correct themselves naturally.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 AM

419 posts, read 868,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
Been using it for a week now and worked up to 20 minutes fully inverted and the benefits have been dramatic! I can walk again! I can roll over in bed without having to use the headboard and arms to roll over. First time I could walk more then a block in almost a year now! Pain is about 75% gone for the time being.
That is so cool for you! I have an inversion table, but my lower back hurts while I'm hanging upside down and my eyes get 'stuffy', so I rarely use it. But my husband swears by it for back pain relief.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Serious question:

Doesn't the blood rush to your head and make you dizzy or light headed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness