Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times

Advertisements

Well, you certainly don't want to hang upside down for long periods of time, as it will slowly kill off brain cells, at least that's the dangers of what I've read. But we're talking long periods of time.

But, in this brainless world today, it may not be a bad idea to kill off some brain cells.

I completely understand the reverse blood flow to the brain. When, traveling, and I arrive late afternoon and am feeling really tired, and would like to make the most of my evening, I stand on my head in the room for a few minutes, and Wow! I'm good to go the rest of the night!

Last edited by tijlover; 03-03-2011 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 AM

8 posts, read 214,043 times
Inversion therapy can provide any number of benefits for your health. Inversion therapy can relieve back pain, decompress your spine, stretch muscles and ligaments, relieve stress, improve circulation and help maintain overall good health. However, inversion is not for everyone.

If you have any of the following health conditions, please DO NOT invert without the approval of a licensed physician. Anti-Coagulants, Blood-thinning drugs or Aspirin
Bone weakness, recent fractures, skeletal implants
Conjunctivitis - (Pink eye)
Glaucoma
Osteoporosis
Heart or circulatory disorders
Hatial hernia or ventral hernia
High blood pressure or hypertension
Middle ear infection
Extreme Obesity
Pregnancy
Retinal detachment
Spinal injury
Stroke
Mini-stroke (TIA)

The use of a back pain inversion table causes blood to rush to the head, and exerts pressures on soft structures inside the body as well. People with high blood pressure, cardiac function defects, or with glaucoma in the eyes, should not attempt inversion therapy. However, such routine precautions should not deter other sufferers from using inversion to get relief. A primary care physician is the best judge of whether inversion therapy is safe and suitable for each individual case.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 63,451 times
Thumbs up Interesting results

Have been using an inversion table daily for about ten days, now lower back pain virtually gone, hip pain much less, can now walk and run with no problems, my posture is much improved - I now stand very straight. All this following an increase in lower back pain and hip pain this winter to the point where just walking was difficult. There's one other benefit that seem to be real: improved urinary flow! Don't know how to explain that, I'm 75 and have occasional "weak stream" common to those males my age. Now I can pee like a 20 year old - well pretty close to it. I've just worked up to 5 min vertical and plan to increase that when I can find a solution to my ankle hurting problem. Some one on this forum suggested cowboy boots, I've go a pair some where and will give those a try. Excuse me now I've got to get back to my "bat machine".

Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,296 times
I bought one 2 days ago.
I dunno if it's helping or not. I'm only on it for about 10 min 3 times a day.
MAN--this thing hurts my feet after about 5 min.
Maybe I should have bought a better one.
Mine was only $92.00 at Sears

Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I bought one 2 days ago.
I dunno if it's helping or not. I'm only on it for about 10 min 3 times a day.
MAN--this thing hurts my feet after about 5 min.
Maybe I should have bought a better one.
Mine was only $92.00 at Sears
I have had mine since around 1986. The rubber that grips the ankles has been pretty hard for many years now......ouch.

Soooo.....I wear two pairs of thick socks, one pair over the other, for extra padding.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,296 times
Annie---how long are you on yours? 15 min?? half hour?
Daily? Weekly?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Annie---how long are you on yours? 15 min?? half hour?
Daily? Weekly?
I haven't used it in a few years....although I probably should.

I used to use it everyday in the beginning, many years ago....and I never timed it.....I just hung there until I got uncomfortable.....probably 10-15 minutes.

I read your other thread about your leg/back pain earlier......THAT is the reason I got mine in the first place......lower back/leg pain....down the front of my thigh too. At the time.....the doctors told me that was IMPOSSIBLE.....as there was no nerve to cause pain there. Also, like you.....standing is what killed me....the longer I stood the worse it hurt.

At the time, I had gone to a chiropractor who put me on one.....it helped....so I bought my own.....much cheaper. LOL {mine was $250 way back then from Sears.}

It took me 6 years and a myriad of doctors to get properly diagnosed.....and by then I had permanent nerve damage. I was told I had tendonitis, maybe a large ovarian cyst pressing on the nerves, perhaps Rhuematoid Arthritis, that my hip was disintigrating, you need to see a psychiatrist.....there is nothing wrong with you.....finally a correct diagnosis.....a bulging disc.....but the doctor {Orthopedic surgeon} poo-pooed it and said THAT wasn't the problem. Two more years and I finally found a neurologist/neuro surgeon who said I had a buldging disc at L-5 and I needed surgery.

It was a long, horrible ordeal.....and I had many treatments that worked for awhile....and then quit. Most mentioned by others in the other thread. The prednisone pill packs worked great for awhile, then the epidurals, physical therapy, pain pills, sick leave-rest....all temporary relief.

The surgery was like a miracle. I had microscopic surgery.....got up and walked down the hall about 30 minutes after I woke up and felt GREAT.....compared to that I had been feeling. My back was just sore....like I had done too many sit ups.....the leg pain GONE.

I thought it was too soon to get into the surgery.....that's why I didn't post in your other thread.....I was just going to follow it for awhile.......because.....as everyone there said.....what works for one doesn't work for all.

A friend of mine has 3 bulging disks that never bother him.....my one was KILLING me. Your disk might heal.....good exercises in that video....I do those whenever my back/leg start to bother me to this day.....along with a few others. I still can't stand for long periods of time without starting to ache.....but it is mild and usually goes away after sitting for awhile. Probably wouldn't even have that if it hadn't taken years to get the surgery that, in my case, was needed.

It is going to take trial and error for you to find out what is going to work for you.....what you need to get better.....and very few need surgery like I did. HOWEVER.....don't let this go on for a year or more.....you don't want to end up with permanent nerve damage like I have.

One other note....all of the Orthopedic surgeons I saw never got it right.....only the Neuorosurgeon nailed it.

And....if you do end up needing surgery.....find a surgeon who can do the microspopic surgery.....I had a one inch cut, no stiches, just a band aid.....and was walking around great immediately. A friend of mine also had the L-5 done, but by an Orthopedic surgeon with regualar surgery.....a nearly 4 inch incision.....and he was in pain for weeks while it healed. Less muscle cut......quicker recovery.

I also used to lay down on a towel wrapped ice pack.....at my lower spine.....for temporary/some relief before I had the surgery.

For now....baby the hell out of your back, take your preds, try some ice and mild exercises.....and if you do start to feel better.....don't blow it.....keep being careful with your back for months until you can be sure you are healed.

If your doctor wants you to go to physical therapy...... do it....that usually works for most people.

If you have any questions....just ask. And don't worry about surgery....chances are VERY slim that you will need it.

BTW.....I had my surgery in 1989.....ancient times....LOL. They probably ALL do microspopic back surgery nowadays.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Mine is wonderful. It keeps my height, and stretches out my hips and spine. Use it for maybe 10-15 minutes.

I have a Kettler, had it for years, will probably last forever. German-made, about $400.,but so sturdy that it's reassuring. Even my senior friend who's scared of everything got on it and liked it.

Another friend who has scoliosis was prescribed an inversion table by her orthopedic surgeon, and insurance paid for it.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
First time I used mine, I couldn't believe how good I felt when I got off...absolutely zero pain in the back which was not something I was used to.. Now, I just need to be more diligent like some of you other posters, cause it really does help, even my posture feels straighter, and (strangely enough) I feel lighter.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 62,690 times
I just bought the Moderator cut: need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations after visiting with a chiropractor, who gave me 5-6 adjustments that felt pretty good. I was suffering from a spinal disc bulging issue, which was suppressing the sciatica nerve and giving me lots of pain. I was seeing a physical therapist as well for the past two months, using pain killers prescribed at Kaiser, etc. An MRI Scan affirmed my above described condition.

So, if hind sight is 20-20 vision, I will say that the Inversion Table is the best thing I got, by far. I have had it for under 24 hours now. Starting with short 2-3 minute sessions, I am now able to hang on it for 30 minutes easily on an empty stomach. I can already feel my spine straightening out, my sciatica pain is greatly reduced, and my ability to move has greatly been enhanced. All in less than 24 hours !!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-01-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness