Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:33 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,665,776 times

Advertisements

Whenever I'm visiting the Assisted Living facility, there's always a bunch of the staff (mostly women) outside smoking. I'm somewhat appalled that, if anyone out there should know better, it would be these people. I have to wonder why smoking is so prevelant in these environments?

Old 12-11-2009, 03:39 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,177,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Whenever I'm visiting the Assisted Living facility, there's always a bunch of the staff (mostly women) outside smoking. I'm somewhat appalled that, if anyone out there should know better, it would be these people. I have to wonder why smoking is so prevelant in these environments?
you are kidding-right?
They are outside.............it's their business so mind your own.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,800,602 times
Quote:
It may be a high stress job.

It would be nice if more health-care places placed higher insurance premiums on smokers and overweight employees.
I know the guy over the Cleveland Clinic I believe said he wished he didn't have to hire overweight people. He refuses to hire smokers.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,888,048 times
Quote:
Are they RN's? Or, are they CNA's? There's a huge difference between the 2. The RN spent a few years in school to train for a career position. The CNA generally spent a few weeks in school to train for a dead-end position that they will not likely make a career out of.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Are they RN's? Or, are they CNA's? There's a huge difference between the 2. The RN spent a few years in school to train for a career position. The CNA generally spent a few weeks in school to train for a dead-end position that they will not likely make a career out of.
I still fail to see what difference either makes.
My daughter ( non-smoker and also non-judgemental about those that do) is in the healthcare field. The rule where she works is No Smoking on the grounds. A doctor there goes to an area in the back and smokes. I think that is his business. He knows the pros and cons. Only issue there is he breaks the No Smoking rule and gets away with it but no one else could probably get away with that.
People beware of rights being taken away. Someone else's today---yours tomorrow.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,699,559 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
you are kidding-right?
They are outside.............it's their business so mind your own.
These workers as simply exercising their right of choice that has nothing to do with where they work. Smoking is a personal choice that goes with that person wherever they go.

And what business is it of yours anyway?

Old 12-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
These workers as simply exercising their right of choice that has nothing to do with where they work. Smoking is a personal choice that goes with that person wherever they go.

And what business is it of yours anyway?
that is my point...........it is not my business

Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I still fail to see what difference either makes.
I'm a smoker, but i don't feel that the OP isn't looking to troll with the question that they asked. The OP is rightly puzzled that health care workers are smoking, and my point was that most of these facilities staffs are not comprised of "career" medical workers.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm a smoker, but i don't feel that the OP isn't looking to troll with the question that they asked. The OP is rightly puzzled that health care workers are smoking, and my point was that most of these facilities staffs are not comprised of "career" medical workers.
the OP should worry about the OP and let others make their own choices.
The issue is about as wacky as someone saying they saw a worker at McDonalds eating the food there. Everyone knows fast food is bad for you-right?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
the OP should worry about the OP and let others make their own choices.
I understand that non-smokers can rub us the wrong way at times, but still, they're entitled to ask a question. This is America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness