Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:56 PM

252 posts, read 1,071,944 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on here had this procedure and if so what was the outcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 08:03 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
I thought about it but I'm going the exercise route. 130 pounds to be normal - I can do it! Besides, I'd rather spend $30K on the costmetic surgery! hehe

However, I used to work at a home infusion pharmacy and several of our patients who were on TPNs (IV nutrition) had botched gastric bypass surgeries. I think that's why I decided not to get it!

The mortality rate is also pretty high. I hope somebody can share their story though b'c I think it's amazing to have that kind of courage. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to surgery. Please please please do research b4 you consider this! Good luck.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:24 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
Go to sparkpeople.com. Sign up, its free. Then go to the 100+ lbs to lose forum. There are lots of people that have had gastric bypass surgery,the good, bad and the ugly of it.
There are some rather bad side effects, besides them cutting you open. So good luck.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:06 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I think if you are thinking of the surgery, lapband would be the better of the two. So many patients have come through the office I work in with so many problems, even 25 years down the line. As an earlier poster said, do much research, but they wont let you do it without going through a course of sorts. One problem is severe anemia, malabsorption, we have so many being hospitalized, over and over. The weight is gone. That is a plus if you cannot do it after trying to exercise and all of that, eat appropriately. I feel like I should lose 70 lbs, dh thinks I am crazy. I have changed my eating habits and I have been losing, but it has also been shifting, LOL.

Good luck in all of your endeavors.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:18 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Default Banding can cause serious probs too!

I have known several people who have had both surgeries. I don't think the lap band is totally free of problems though initially it seemed and I guess, is, less invasive. One of our friends had the band done about 2 or 3 years ago and she was happy with it and lost about 100 pounds. She looked great, but a few months ago, she started having severe abdominal pain and to make a long story short, it was caused by the lap band that had caused a hole in her stomach. It had to be removed permanently and had caused scar tissue to build up in the area. Besides this, I might add that one of our major medical centers here in the Dallas area, Baylor, have recently stopped doing the banding but are still offering the roux en y (spelling?) gastric bypass. They said they had seen too many issues with the banding.

My take on the whole issue after, again knowing quite a few people personally who have had it done, is that there are quite a few problems occurring with both surgeries. They are not simple. If you can lose weight the "natural" way, do it! Don't even think about surgery unless you are really morbidly obese because there are many complications with these surgeries. Don't get me wrong, though, I do realize the health implications of remaining morbidly obese. Some people may need to go ahead and do it, but from my observations, I sure wouldn't advise unless you just can't get the weight off any other way. Not to be done lightly IMHO.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:31 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
Weigh all the risks first before you decide to have bypass surgery. People in fact do die from having this procedure. More frequently than people realize.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 PM

548 posts, read 2,648,160 times
Any surgery on someone who is obese is riskier than on someone who is not. On top of that, this procedure in and of itself is a risky one. Two things working against you there....there is a high mortality rate. The safest way to lose weight is the old fashioned way...

Old 05-14-2007, 05:52 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
I have two friends that did Gastric Bypass. One died later from complications and the other is fine. The one who is fine went from 301 lbs to 146lbs (she's 5'3" tall) and is now back up to 170 lbs and is struggling to get back down. The problem with the surgery is that you still need to exercise and eat right, which if you did you would lose the weight anyway (this is what I did with out surgery). The one that didn't die has has numerous problems with constant diahrrea and vomitting, anemia, reflux, high blood pressure and pain from the surgery. Not to mention that a post op infection almost killed her as well. I think you should truely try to learn how to eat right and exercise BEFORE you go to surgery as an alternative...the surgery is by no means easier than doing the actual work youself.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:44 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
I want to add, too, that some people are addicted to food. Just b'c you get the surgery, doesn't mean you resolved the addiction. I saw on TV recently that many folks who lose the weight end up with other addictions like alcoholism and spending.

If you fall into this category, I think seeking mental help is also a good idea.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:54 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
My best friend had it and died 6 weeks afterwards. She was 35 and due to be married 9 months later. A mutual friend of ours (my deceased friend and I) also had a friend who died from it.

It's not worth your life. I have very few soapboxes but this is one of them. Please investigate all other possibilities before this one. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness