Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:31 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
My best friend had it and died 6 weeks afterwards. She was 35 and due to be married 9 months later. A mutual friend of ours (my deceased friend and I) also had a friend who died from it.

It's not worth your life. I have very few soapboxes but this is one of them. Please investigate all other possibilities before this one. Best of luck to you.
Wow, my condolences to you. It IS a dangerous surgery. At the same time, morbid obesity kills people too, but you know from my previous post that I think people should lose weight the natural way if at all possible. I know what you mean though, about "soapbox." I am that way about liposuction because a woman at our church died from it. When we see the statistics "up close and personal" like this, it really makes an impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I have two friends that did Gastric Bypass. One died later from complications and the other is fine. The one who is fine went from 301 lbs to 146lbs (she's 5'3" tall) and is now back up to 170 lbs and is struggling to get back down. The problem with the surgery is that you still need to exercise and eat right, which if you did you would lose the weight anyway (this is what I did with out surgery). The one that didn't die has has numerous problems with constant diahrrea and vomitting, anemia, reflux, high blood pressure and pain from the surgery. Not to mention that a post op infection almost killed her as well. I think you should truely try to learn how to eat right and exercise BEFORE you go to surgery as an alternative...the surgery is by no means easier than doing the actual work youself.
Yes, some of my friends that have had the procedure have also dealt with issues such as malabsorption, intestinal obstruction etc. And yes, some have regained a good portion of what they lost even though I doubt they will ever be as heavier as they were originally.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 AM

800 posts, read 4,298,750 times
My mom had it done and then, reversed. She almost died to malabsorption issues. She still had a lapband done though about 2 years ago.

I'm not judging, but yes, you have to deal with the underlying emotional issues with food. I don't have a weight problem 'cause I've always been an active athlete and have eaten healthy all my life. And, my heart does go out to those who are overweight...often, in society, people are marginalized for being overweight.

But, yes, please do your research if you decide that surgical weight loss is best for you. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Wow, my condolences to you. It IS a dangerous surgery. At the same time, morbid obesity kills people too, but you know from my previous post that I think people should lose weight the natural way if at all possible. I know what you mean though, about "soapbox." I am that way about liposuction because a woman at our church died from it. When we see the statistics "up close and personal" like this, it really makes an impression.

Thank you kaykay. I do realize that morbid obesity does kill, but I see this surgery as a quick fix to mostly non-morbidly obese people. Also, this surgery has what I consider an alarmingly high mortality rate.

I didn't consider my friend morbidly obese, but by a strict definition she was I guess. Also, I do think doctors are too quick to recommend this surgery, rather than giving the support and tools needed to do it the "right" way.

And you are so right about "up close and personal", sometimes you don't even see or concern yourself with issues until they hit close to home - human nature I guess.

My condolences to the loss of your church member - it's terrible when seemingly "routine" procedures end up like this.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:58 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times
It's interesting - some months ago I started a thread on "lap-band" and learned about the site mentioned above.

I have spoken to a few people who have had lap band and to doctors as well. The downside apart from the obvious is the fact that you can regain all the weight - this was a head thumper for me.

I have struggled with my weight all my life .. I know here is no silver bullet.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Thank you kaykay. I do realize that morbid obesity does kill, but I see this surgery as a quick fix to mostly non-morbidly obese people. Also, this surgery has what I consider an alarmingly high mortality rate.

I didn't consider my friend morbidly obese, but by a strict definition she was I guess. Also, I do think doctors are too quick to recommend this surgery, rather than giving the support and tools needed to do it the "right" way.

And you are so right about "up close and personal", sometimes you don't even see or concern yourself with issues until they hit close to home - human nature I guess.

My condolences to the loss of your church member - it's terrible when seemingly "routine" procedures end up like this.
Yes, I know what you mean. I especially don't like to see people have these surgeries who are just not THAT overweight. IMHO-it's just MUCH too risky to be undertaken unless you are so obese that not having it is more risky possibly than having it. And even then, I would really like to see people give it "the ol' college try" so to speak with the natural route before going the surgical way. I struggle with weight myself. So I know it's not easy. Presently, I am going to Weight Watchers. There is one lady that attends occasionally as a "lifetime member" who has lost 150 pounds. She said it took her four years to do it, but she did it. Kind of inspiring for the rest of us in that class.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:01 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
I believe you have to be 100 lbs overweight plus to be a candidate for the gastric bypass.

I know several people who have had it and they've ALL had problems. Some worse than others. These are mostly younger people - 30's/40's. One woman had a terrible time and she was looking really awful for over a year. She had another problem too though. Although she lost the weight, her thighs were still heavy, so she kept losing until her thighs were "acceptable". She almost died.

There are studies about mortality rates, depending on your age.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:07 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
And don't forget, since you lose the weight so rapidly after the surgery, that you will have to have a large amount of sagging skin removed after all the weight is lost.
I accidentally tuned in one day to discovery health channel, and they were showing the surgery for that. I about fainted. lol And the poor lady they were doing that to, she was in agony.
They have to cut the skin off, then sew you back up. So it's like being cut in half almost.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:00 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,463 times
i would avoid a dangerous surgery when the problem can be cured with diet and exercise. also, with gastric bypass surgery you have a VERY strict diet and can only eat minute amounts of food. i believe that if you don't have the willpower to eat specific foods in small quantities before surgery, you will likely have some problems after surgery. it's very easy to overeat and blow out the staples in your stomach.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:54 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
And don't forget, since you lose the weight so rapidly after the surgery, that you will have to have a large amount of sagging skin removed after all the weight is lost.
I accidentally tuned in one day to discovery health channel, and they were showing the surgery for that. I about fainted. lol And the poor lady they were doing that to, she was in agony.
They have to cut the skin off, then sew you back up. So it's like being cut in half almost.
Well this will happen if you lose a lot of weight slowly as well. Your skin loses it's elastin and can not regain it's original shape. It will be the worst in areas that you have lots of strech marks in as these marks are actually scarred tissue that has been expanded beyond it's elastin. So if you have the surgery and lost 100+lbs or you just lose it yourself you are liable to have loose skin...but you will still be healthier with out the fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness