Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:07 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times

Advertisements

Horray! I just found out my thyroid hormone levels ARE low! I know it sounds weird to be so happy but it explains SO many of the symptoms I have. My thyroild lab results have always been in the extremely low normal range....so I have never gotten treatment. After a little reading on the topic I was clued in to ask for a thyroid antibody test as well as the normal TSH, Free T4 and T3 levels. Well it shows I do have anitibodies (Hashimoto's disease) and I need to take thyroid hormone to correct it it!

The point I'm trying to get to...DO NOT GIVE UP if you think you have something just keep pushing the doctors until they figure it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 AM

453 posts, read 2,100,808 times
what are they giving you for treatment? t3?

Old 05-04-2007, 10:16 AM

No T4; hope it works!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 PM

t4 will work well, partially because it converts into t3. is it going to be a temporary treatment or will it be something that they expect you to take forever?

Old 05-04-2007, 03:17 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,046 times
I had it and had to drink radioactive iodine, it has been a few years ago, but mine is fine and I do have to go in every six months just to get my levels checked.
So far so good, but when I get starting to feel like I have no energy, I am calling my doctor to see if it is time to have it checked again. I hope all goes as well with you good luck!!!! Yorkie

Old 05-04-2007, 04:15 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
I thought I had carpal tunnel - went to the doctor and they ran tests - low thyroid - I take the smallest dosage but no more carpal tunnel-like symptoms....my doctor said that many cases of carpal tunnel are mis-diagnosed because many docs don't check for low thyroid....I had tingly hands that fell asleep at night - the cause was low thyroid.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
t4 will work well, partially because it converts into t3. is it going to be a temporary treatment or will it be something that they expect you to take forever?
I don't know I only got the news this morning...I have had these complaints for several years getting worse each year...and my lab values always creeped in at the lowest reading for normal so no one ever did anything. I had a thyroid nodule diagnosed a few years ago, biopsied and benign, so I see an endocrinologist every year to monitor it. Well this year before my appointment I looked up every possible disease for the symptoms I was having...and came up with several possiblities...all endocrine related. I made a list of the tests I wanted and had him do them...he thought I was crazy...but he obliged (probably to shut me up). Today he called me and said he was surprised (but didn't give me any credit for making him run the antibody test in the first place) that I did have a thyroid disfunction. So he's putting me on a low dose and will recheck my levels in 3 months if I feel good or sooner if I don't. But I'm just happy I'm not crazy or temperature impaired...I was starting to think so.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Horray! I just found out my thyroid hormone levels ARE low! I know it sounds weird to be so happy but it explains SO many of the symptoms I have. My thyroild lab results have always been in the extremely low normal range....so I have never gotten treatment. After a little reading on the topic I was clued in to ask for a thyroid antibody test as well as the normal TSH, Free T4 and T3 levels. Well it shows I do have anitibodies (Hashimoto's disease) and I need to take thyroid hormone to correct it it!

The point I'm trying to get to...DO NOT GIVE UP if you think you have something just keep pushing the doctors until they figure it out!
yes i have this too, so take pills , and i do not like pills.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 PM

I'm sorry Mr.Dude...doesn't T3 convert into free T4? One of us has it backwards so I'm just checking.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 PM

i'm not a guru when it comes to thyroid hormones, but i do know for a fact that t4 does convert to t3; a significant portion of t3 comes from t4.
i've never heard of t3 converting back into t4. maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself can answer that one for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness