Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times

Advertisements

This was an interesting article in Scientific American magazine talking about how Scientists are discovering in clinical research that the protein in grains (Gluten) is setting off a whole host of autoimmune diseases (multiple sclerosis, lupus, rheumatoid etc.) in the body as the gluten is causing massive inflammation in the gut causing our Killer T Cells to go on a rampage and attack healthy tissue in the human body. They think that in many humans that the 10,000 years we've been eating grains is still not long enough to have caused genetic drift in our 2 million year old genome as Hunter Gatherer's.

Magazine article for those interested.
Celiac Disease Insights: Clues to Solving Autoimmunity - Scientific American Magazine Aug/2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Unfortunately I think the link to MS is not there. Many people like to throw in the MS name when talking about Autoimmune diseases. I have several friends that have gone on Gluten Free diets after being diagnosed, and notices absolutely no change after several years of trying it.

Recent studies on MS has brought up the possibility that the Mono virus might be the trigger for a genetic predisposition to MS.

Interesting article though.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
This concept has been around the alternative health world for years. The copyright on Braley and Hoggan's "Dangerous Grains" is 2002, and the info was generally available even before then. Again, mainstream medical "wisdom" is far behind the curve in some areas. I'm just waiting for the community to discover that N.A.E.T. actually takes care of a lot of the issues and then try to work backwards to figure out HOW it does it.

The SA article starts out with a synopsis of Braley's concepts, then ends up touting a new drug. Yet another reason for me to be disillusioned with the quality of the magazine.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 PM

221 posts, read 379,652 times
I am new to the whole concept so I thought this was interesting. Thanks so much for posting.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:56 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
We just bumped heads hard with Crohn's this week.
I think we ruled out celiac, but they are a couple of wierd disorders.
Who really knows?

Good reading that lead me down another path of reading.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:26 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We just bumped heads hard with Crohn's this week.
I think we ruled out celiac, but they are a couple of wierd disorders.
Who really knows?

Good reading that lead me down another path of reading.
as in you know someone with Crohn's or another yet to be determined AI disease? or you personally are being checked?

either way, I wish luck on finding out what is wrong, and it gets treated accordingly

Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Huh, that's interesting. My brother has crohn's disease. He eats like crap any way, and I doubt he would try diet modification, but if anyone has a link to a full text study, that would be great.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
They thought I had Ms for the last 2 yrs. Diagnosed by 2 neuros. I decided that although the symptoms were the same, my stomach was more of a factor. Had history of 4 bowel obstructions and intestinal cancer 3 yrs ago. No marker in spinal fluid for MS but had 4 cysts on brain non spec for MS. So I suggested to reg MD to test for Celiac and tests just came back positive. I am on GF diet and my numbness in arms and legs as well as terrible peripheral neuropathy is almost gone except in tiny portion of head near/above my right ear. My right eye pain is gone and the iris swelling is gone. I believe that there is a connection between Celiac and MS and also diet is crucial. Speaking from personal as well as family experience. My mother also had MS and surely would have suffered less if she had been checked for Celiac I'm sure. Her Diabetes could have been put in check with the diet changes. Other than my early morning BS being too high...my GF diet is putting my Diabetes in check. Now, if I could only get into deep REM sleep ...my Blood Sugars would also fall in to shape in the a.m. Thanx for listening.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
I've been doing some reading on links between gluten and celiac symptoms. An interesting find is that current #1 Tennis champ Novak Djokovic started a gluten free diet a year or so prior to his ascendency to that #1 rank, to which he attributes in large part that gluten free diet. After one of his major wins he joked that he might have a pizza that night.

There's a whole range of symptoms or recognized problems related to gluten. Some reports that the gluten we get today is modified for mass production thus resulting in an increase of gluten related problems. Some of those symptoms may be a result of the use of antibiotics for health problems or surgery. Those antibiotics killing off natural gut flora. I've started eating yogurt regularly. I also include 'inulin' in my diet... NOTE: Inulin does NOT have an 's' in it. It's a product of chicory (or other) root and may be good for the flora of the large intestine. Biotics of yogurt don't make it to the large intestine, inulin does. I discovered it when buying Stevia packets - some brands include inulin.

My diet includes only one or two slices of bread a day, brown rice only, lots of frozen veggies but NO frozen packets of taste enhancers.

Start reading labels in the grocery. Any ingredients that say 'natural' or 'artificial' may include gluten. Most any 'powdered' enhancer (excepting actual spices of course) is going to include gluten. Start looking for products that say 'Gluten Free'... you'll be amazed.
Quote:
http://espn.go.com/espnw/training/nu...ng-gluten-free

A protein in wheat, barley and rye, gluten is found in these grains and the foods made from them. Although oats don't contain it naturally, they're often processed in facilities that handle wheat. Because of its thickening and preservative powers, gluten is also used in a long list of supermarket staples, including ketchup, ice cream, salad dressing, sauces, soups, seasonings, cold cuts, hot dogs, chips and dietary supplements.

While gluten is safe for most, it's no picnic for the 3 million -- or one in 133 -- people with celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder. For people with this hereditary condition, gluten triggers inflammation and damage in the small intestine. That blocks absorption of nutrients, leading to anemia, osteoporosis and other problems.

Last edited by Willsson; 05-02-2012 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I Some of those symptoms may be a result of the use of antibiotics for health problems or surgery. Those antibiotics killing off natural gut flora. I've started eating yogurt regularly. I also include 'inulin' in my diet... NOTE: .
The lead author (researcher) in that article was stating that one of the reasons why some people who have celiac that show no symptoms when young only to suffer from it later in life was do to the alteration (antibiotics, diet, etc.) of the intestinal lacto and bifidum strains of bacteria throughout life.

Ive read research articles over on Science Daily over the last several years about the connection between oral health (inflammed gums) and the ration of good to bad bacteria in our gut .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness