Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:07 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
No, I do not. I do not allow anything invasive to be done to my body. It looks like I am just going to try a kelp supplement and see if that is helpful.

Thanks to all for your replies.

20yrsinBranson
What???? How old are you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Quote:
I have had more than one person suggest that I might need to have my thyroid checked to see if it is functioning properly.I have never had this done before and I would like to know what it entails before going to the expense of seeing a doctor. I am not interested in any testing that involves needles. Can anyone who has had this done, please tell me what the procedure is?
Thanks
20yrsinBranson
Sorry....the whole thyroid testing procedure begins with bloodwork. We all have something in our blood called TSH or Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. A simple blood test will tell you if you have too much or not enough. Depending on which way the tests come out, your primary care physician will then decide if you need to see an endocronologist (gland doctor I believe). I have been on Levoxyl for over 5 years to help treat a very slow thyroid. My metabolism was very, very slow and I was having issues losing weight, I was tired all the time, my hair was thinning out, my feet and hands were always dry and I had no clue what was going on.

Don't let a thyroid problem go without treatment for any length of time. It can become a serious issue of left untreated and the treatment is real simple...go get tested AFTER you see your Primary Care Doctor.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:24 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Do you have to fast for this test?
Re: Thyroid Testing...yes, I believe you do have to fast. Thyroid function works along with how well you are metabolizing food so I believe it does require a fasting blood test...last time I was tested which was a month ago...I did fast..and I do have a thyroid issue. Been on levoxyl for 5 years.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:01 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
No, I do not. I do not allow anything invasive to be done to my body. It looks like I am just going to try a kelp supplement and see if that is helpful.

Thanks to all for your replies.

20yrsinBranson
Are you a Christian Scientist?

Old 07-16-2009, 04:02 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Re: Thyroid Testing...yes, I believe you do have to fast. Thyroid function works along with how well you are metabolizing food so I believe it does require a fasting blood test...last time I was tested which was a month ago...I did fast..and I do have a thyroid issue. Been on levoxyl for 5 years.
The fasting period is generally pretty short, is it not? Like a minimum of six hours?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
I've never fasted for a thyroid test. Nor has my daughter.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:10 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
I have had more than one person suggest that I might need to have my thyroid checked to see if it is functioning properly.

I have never had this done before and I would like to know what it entails before going to the expense of seeing a doctor. I am not interested in any testing that involves needles.

Can anyone who has had this done, please tell me what the procedure is?

Thanks

20yrsinBranson
I am so glad I did mine, I was really having a hard time and okay done.

ha ha that is pretty much what it was, the nurse was talking and then she finished and had my blood that she needed.

Go to your doctor and tell him/her what your issues are and they will tell you what needs to be done. I have had some major issues and it has been blood drawings, urine tests, and xrays to help them make me better.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
I did not fast for mine.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
I have my blood drawn every 6 weeks or so to test thyroid function, and I do not have to fast. I have Graves Disease and have been taking tapazole to suppress my thyroid function. Graves is an auto-immune disease, and untreated can ultimately result in death, although that is extremely rare. You can take all the kelp supplements you want, but if you have a thyroid problem neither that or any other type of supplement is going to help you. I was experiencing heart palpitations, weight loss, shortness of breath, clammy skin, rapid pulse, extreme fatigue, night sweats, tremors, anxiety...a number of other symptoms. I have been lucky in that I have not had the terrible eye symptoms that are often a result of the disease (remember Marty Feldman?).

A simple blood test revealed the hyperactive thyroid, and further tests revealed Graves as a diagnosis. The tapazole has to be closely monitored, as too high a dosage causes the opposite problem - hypo-thyroidism.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What???? How old are you???
I know

You don't need to fast for a thyroid test.

If you are getting weight, have low energy, have slowed mental process and memory, sensitive to cold, have hair loss, have heavy periods, you may be hypothyroid.

If you are losing weight even if you eat 3000 - 4000 calories a day, have rapid heartbeat, nervousness, light periods, shaking hands, changes in your eyes - you may be hyperthyroid.

Google for hypothyroid and hyperthyroid symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness