Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 PM

350 posts, read 4,157,634 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that my menstrual cycle is getting shorter. I am 31 years old, don't smoke, don't drink, have never been on any birth control, don't have PCOS. I don't know why this is happening. I used to be every 29 days, then this year I've been mainly every 27 days but the last few months have been 24-25 days. I was just at my gyn for my annual 3.5 months ago, and all was fine. I did not bring this issue up at the time. Is this shortening of my cycle cause for concern? Otherwise, the menses are normal in length and everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,717 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I have noticed that my menstrual cycle is getting shorter. I am 31 years old, don't smoke, don't drink, have never been on any birth control, don't have PCOS. I don't know why this is happening. I used to be every 29 days, then this year I've been mainly every 27 days but the last few months have been 24-25 days. I was just at my gyn for my annual 3.5 months ago, and all was fine. I did not bring this issue up at the time. Is this shortening of my cycle cause for concern? Otherwise, the menses are normal in length and everything else.

Everything is fine" is being vague to say the least:
I imagine that some doctors don't bother to explain what they mean.
did you bring up your concerns as to why your menses were getting short
could be perimenopausal? it's worth asking the doc, to run the diagnostic test for it, but he/she may have since she the prognosis was fine.
I would not be too concerned with until your next visit, unless you are
way too abnormal in your flow , like spotting etc.
I hope you get the answers you need

Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Quote:

Just gettin' older, probably.
It's normal. My cycles have gotten even shorter than this since I entered my 30s.
24-25 days is still within the realm of "normal".

Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
My cycle started to change in my mid 30's.
Getting older ... nothing to fear.
I know it's disconcerting especially when you're used to a very consistent cycle.
But we're not machines and the body does change.
Just relax and go with the flow ... so to speak.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:

How old are you?

Could it also be that you are hanging out with different people?
Yes, cycles do shift. A few months ago my daughter was a week after me, now all of a sudden she is a week before. She's now getting it the same time as her friend

Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
Kibbles, how old was your mother when she first began to experience perimenopausal symptoms? Even though you are definitely young, you could be in the early stages of perimenopause.

I'm 38 and have been perimenopausal for about 3 years now. It hit my mother at the same age (34-35 or so)...and her mother before her. One of my symptoms has been a shortening of my cycle. It used to be 35 days -- that was my regular cycle -- and now it's 28 days. Also, my period used to last for 5 days, and now it lasts for 3 days.

But my paps are all normal and everything "looks good" and my doctor doesn't seem remotely concerned about the changes in my cycle. He has just advised me to keep track of things, make notes of anything unusual, keep him posted, etc.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:36 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Kibbles, how old was your mother when she first began to experience perimenopausal symptoms? Even though you are definitely young, you could be in the early stages of perimenopause.

I'm 38 and have been perimenopausal for about 3 years now. It hit my mother at the same age (34-35 or so)...and her mother before her. One of my symptoms has been a shortening of my cycle. It used to be 35 days -- that was my regular cycle -- and now it's 28 days. Also, my period used to last for 5 days, and now it lasts for 3 days.

But my paps are all normal and everything "looks good" and my doctor doesn't seem remotely concerned about the changes in my cycle. He has just advised me to keep track of things, make notes of anything unusual, keep him posted, etc.
Ditto; I'm 36 and have been experiencing a shortened menstrual cycle since I was about 33.
It's kind of a pain in the butt; I feel like I'm on my period all the time now.
But my gyno says it's normal, and that perimenopausal symptoms can start ten to twelve years before actual menopause.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Ditto; I'm 36 and have been experiencing a shortened menstrual cycle since I was about 33.
It's kind of a pain in the butt; I feel like I'm on my period all the time now.
But my gyno says it's normal, and that perimenopausal symptoms can start ten to twelve years before actual menopause.
But that doesn't mean that if you're cycle starts to change in your mid 30's that you'll be menopausal by your mid 40's.
And there are ways that we can support and balance our hormones throughout our life.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 350,237 times
Default Help

Im 26 my menstrual cycle last 8 days and this month it only last me 4 days can their be a baby on borad.this has happened to me with my our 3 kids and im not ready for number 4.... i feel like i am sleeping all day using the rest room 2-3time in 1 hour...

Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIANNA83 View Post
Im 26 my menstrual cycle last 8 days and this month it only last me 4 days can their be a baby on borad.this has happened to me with my our 3 kids and im not ready for number 4.... i feel like i am sleeping all day using the rest room 2-3time in 1 hour...
pee on a stick and find out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness