Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 27,979 times

Advertisements

Well, I am 47 years old, and I've always been regular on my period. I have always been on time, exactly 28 days cycle. Now, I am having 20 days every other month. All I know is that I had something done on my ovaries because I was having heavy periods. My doctor removed some tissues in the walls, etc… My periods have always last 5-8 days and month of them heavy, every since that procedure now it's like 3-5 days and shorter cycles every other month. I wonder if that doctor messed up my cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizMiranda View Post
Well, I am 47 years old, and I've always been regular on my period. I have always been on time, exactly 28 days cycle. Now, I am having 20 days every other month. All I know is that I had something done on my ovaries because I was having heavy periods. My doctor removed some tissues in the walls, etc… My periods have always last 5-8 days and month of them heavy, every since that procedure now it's like 3-5 days and shorter cycles every other month. I wonder if that doctor messed up my cycle.
You don't know what your doctor did to your ovaries?

I'm assuming it was a surgical procedure where you were knocked out possibly? Did they go in through the abdomen or through the vagina?

Removing tissue from the walls sounds like a D&C which is done for heavy cycles. Could this be the procedure you had? This is done through the vagina. They go in and dilate your cervix and scrape out the endometrial tissue that lines your uterus. I just had this done last week as well as a polypectomy (polyp removal). This procedure CAN change the amount of bleeding you do during your period, most often to lighter/shortened bleeding.

If you didn't have laproscopic surgery it's likely they did not touch your ovaries. Usually manipulation/surgery of the ovary requires conventional surgery or laproscopic surgery to get to them.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizMiranda View Post
Liz, you have resurrected an old thread. In the future. it would be better to just start a new one. Welcome to City Data!

At age 47, your ovaries are slowing down and you are very likely not ovulating any more.

As just the6ofus said, you really need to know what procedure you had done, the reason for it, and the results of any biopsies obtained. It is unlikely that your ovaries were "scraped" for a bleeding problem; it is more likely that the lining of the uterus was scraped.

Not ovulating can lead to problems with overgrowth of the uterine lining, which can cause irregular and sometimes prolonged bleeding. It can also predispose to cancer of the uterine lining over the long term.

If the timing between the first day of one period and the first day of the next period is starting to vary, but you only have 3 to 5 days of flow, that most likely is related to the coming onset of menopause. We call the time just around menopause "perimenopause." Actual menopause requires that you have no bleeding for a year.

Now would be a good time to have a visit with a gynecologist for an exam and to find out if any testing other than your regular Pap smear should be done and to get an idea of what to expect over the next few years.

Do keep a written record of any bleeding or spotting. Your doctor will find it helpful.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 30,704 times
Default Menstruation Cycle

There is nothing to worry more about. It was for 3 months almost I had Menstruation Cyclenot on time. The same case no smoking, no drinks, no more freaking out with friends and parties. I was so worried that my mind filled with all kinds of disease occurred in woman. I had diagnoses, Ultrasound etc to find what has happens. All the reports showed up nil. Later my friends Doctor Jenny, Gyno helped me showing different unique reports of woman to say that some times it would be too faster and in few cases late. There is nothing to worry but yes if it is too late you have to seek a doctors advice. Hope you are not confused and worried now. Write back with out hesitation for any help.

Moderator cut: not allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-26-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
Then I am doomed. My mom had more babies accidently at 39, 41 and 43, all natural. She was not even trying. She said her mother went through menopause at 60. I don't want to have periods until I am 60.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,984 times
I am 52 (53 in a few days) and my cycles started shortening when I was in my mid-30s. Since I was on a 33 day cycle before that, it wasn't too bad. When I got into my early 40s, the cycles went down gradually to about 25 days. By 50, they were 18 days apart and then, mercifully, they mostly stopped. The medical profession declares you're in menopause when you've been one year w/o a period. I had one in February 2010 and one in November 2010. None since. I am SO happy to be ALMOST done with this phase of life.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
OK old thread but I'll mention this in case anyone else is wondering. Since I think my late 30's I've been on a 21 day cycle with period lasting about 8 days. Now I'm 52 and still regular, though I've lengthened it to 26 days with the use of vitex and the reason I have a short cycle is because of fibroids. Many (most?) women can have these and have no symptoms, but if you start having a shorter cycle, it's one thing to look into.

I'm looking into trying a natural remedy that I'm hoping helps: I'm strengthening my liver with milk thistle extract, and trying pancreatic enzymes, b/c they're supposed to break down the walls of the tumors, though you have to take them on an empty stomach. I'll check back in here if I experience any success or notable failure.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 27,184 times
Ok, so ladies help me here... I'm 27 and my cycle has been shortening for a couple of months now, first time 24 days, then 22, now 19 days, and my period only last 4 days sometimes extremly lite 5th day. Not sure if this is some result of stress or if I should call my Gyno?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I would call since you are so young. Note the post above that talks about fibroids that don't hurt.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Then I am doomed. My mom had more babies accidently at 39, 41 and 43, all natural. She was not even trying. She said her mother went through menopause at 60. I don't want to have periods until I am 60.

if you have sex, you're trying. There's no 100% birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness