Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,153,578 times

Advertisements

IMO just another attempt to panic the proles. Notice how freely they toss around the word "pandemic" when what's happened is not even the bubbly beginning of an epidemic.
Histrionics love hysteria.

When people start croaking by the 10,000s is when to start worrying.

Remember Rule #1 of the news business: If It Bleeds, It Leads.

This is more about panicking people into thinking they're helpless, than about any real risk of epidemic.

If there were a real risk, wouldn't our great leaders ensure the southern border was difficult to cross?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:16 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The "link" I provided is dated 4/25/2009 from the CDC....

But then you obviously know more about this then the folks in Atlanta....right

It tells the history of the SWINE flu and how the virus can live indefinitely in a pigs gut, without notice and transferred to people. They don't know how or why this particular strain is circulating. The link your provide is generalization about the old school virus.
You're in denial buddy, face it. What did those 70 people die from? Too much of Grandma's chicken noodle soup? If any flue virus that is this contagious kills 10% of those it infects, it is damn serious!
Here are some facts.

1. The human immune system has NO resistance to this strain of virus.
2. It is the first virus that holds both bird, swine and human viruses
3. Is is also the first virus that can go from animal to man and then man to man, that contains multiple strains.
4. The virus is still in the infancy stages and will mutate and grow more aggressive unless it is stopped......unlikely now.
5. It is a durable virus living up over 96 hours outside a host.
Burry your head in the sand if you like. I'm preparing.

I doubt this will be the end, but I can see this thing killing 50 million or so worldwide. ALL the experts agree, we are WAY past due for something of this nature.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:34 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,963 times
Isn't there a huge deadly flu outbreak every 90 years or so? I'm sure we're overdue. Luckily the bird-flu didn't end up spreading thoroughly or far.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
If it follows the pattern of the 1917-18 Spanish Flu pandemic, Wabbit, it won't be killing off people by the tens of thousands until maybe next winter or thereabouts.

This virus is of a very similar type to that one.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:48 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
While I'm not ready to go into panic mode, I do think we need to watch this outbreak very closely.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 AM

519 posts, read 981,892 times
I find it interesting that the CDC and other health organizations are telling people not to overreact. As with any flu strain, the young and the elderly are much more susceptible. Also, the two people in Kansas who contacted the swine flu are already getting better since they didn't overreact and took the necessary acts to quarantine themselves from others and then got the proper medical attention. (The husband had just returned from a trip to Mexico).

Of course, we should compare ourselves to Mexico. What was I thinking?! I mean, this is a country that reminds tourists to not drink the water. This is a country that, even if you are in perfect health and have the health records to prove it from your own doctor, still make you get a blood test before you get married!

We should all take the necessary precautions when it comes to protecting ourselves from any disease. But we shouldn't overreact. As we look up to watch the sky falling, we avert our eyes from all the other things that could seriously harm us.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Will we ever learn to shut the borders to third world countries? You'd not believe the TB coming here on illegal immigrants.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:40 AM

519 posts, read 981,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Will we ever learn to shut the borders to third world countries? You'd not believe the TB coming here on illegal immigrants.
Right, because the couple from Kansas and the people from New Zealand contracted the swine flu because of illegal immigrants. Maybe, just maybe, all these people who contracted the swine flu did so because those people travelled TO Mexico.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
pictures please!!!!
lmao! :d

Old 04-26-2009, 07:01 AM

646 posts, read 2,050,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
As with any flu strain, the young and the elderly are much more susceptible.
That is actually incorrect in this case. As in the Spanish Influenza of 1918, the victims who have died of this flu have been adults in good health aged 25 to 45.

I agree we don't need to over react (the OP is just so over the top he had to have been going for satire), but healthy adults need to pay attention as much as the young and elderly this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness