Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:34 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,981,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykisses01247 View Post
omg this stuff is really scary ecspessaly sence i have been sick for like a week now i thought i had the flu but a doc i seen (not my normal doc my insurance got messed up) at an urgent car place said it was strep and i was like "strep would make me hack my brains out and cough up a bunchof nasty stuff and make me sick to my stomche and give me a head ache ect." and she's like "its probly also an upper respitory infection" she gave me antibiotics and now my mom and lil sis are sick but she get a step test and it came back negative and an upper respoitoriy infection is not contages so i like to see her explain that one lol but hopefully my insurence will put me back with my reagular doc so i can tell her if i am not better but i am probly just over reacting buti am not to worried thati would have it i never go anywere i have social anxiety so i dont have to much human contact but i go to like walmart and small places and we live in OK so i dont think theres been any outbreaks here so far so o well lol hope it dosnt turn to empidemic that would be bad!!!
An upper respiratory infection is contagious... they include the common cold. If you do'nt have a bacterial infection, then the antibiotics are not going to help you. Antibiotics don't work against viruses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Okay, we have potentially bad news about the 75 students in Queens who became ill on Thursday and Friday:

New York sends flu samples from school to CDC-CNN | Reuters

The Queens samples have been sent to the CDC. They tested positive for Type A.

Officials had hoped the initial test woud show them to be a normal flu. It's not.

Now the CDC will do further testing to see if it's a match to the strain in Mexico, California and Texas.

Another article says that it's "likely" the kids in Queens have the swine flu:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...swine-flu.html

We can expect the CDC's confirmation or annulment sometime tomorrow.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Thanks, Hopes. It definitely seems very contagious, but so far it only seems to have been deadly in Mexico City.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:04 PM

82 posts, read 237,438 times
If its already reached NYC, then its pretty much too late to stop it from spreading. Hopefully the virus isnt as deadly as feared. Very scary stuff.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
The World Health Organization is very concerned right now. Mexico is closing museums and schools. The flu has so far killed 61 healthy young people — not babies or old folks — so it appears deadly.

All it take is one person flying out of Mexico on an airplane to somewhere in the U.S.

Mexico swine flu deaths spur global epidemic fears (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090424/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu - broken link)
That is eerie to say the least---------------typically; influenza takes out either young kids or people my age on up, I am age 51.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe143 View Post
If its already reached NYC, then its pretty much too late to stop it from spreading. Hopefully the virus isnt as deadly as feared. Very scary stuff.
I suspect that the Mexico will take the brunt of it---------although; it may wreak havoc on Mexican immigrants-----------legal and/or illegal here.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
This is the important one to watch. If they have the Mexican swine flu, then it's going to go pandemic. It might turn out to be like the Spanish Flu of 1918, which is bad but not as catastrophic as if the bird flu went pandemic.

I've been thinking that maybe the economy would manage to make a partial recovery in a couple of years IF there were no other stressor ...... like nuclear terrorism ..... or a deadly pandemic ...... heh. Kinda looks like either could happen soon.
Remember too that such a flu could really do damage in the Middle East, etc.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That is eerie to say the least---------------typically; influenza takes out either young kids or people my age on up, I am age 51.
That's actually typical of the most deadly epidemics such as SARS, bird flu, or the 1918 Spanish Flu (which this one most closely resembles, being h1n1 type).

What happens is that the virus turns the immune system against the person's own lung tissue, there's a desperate overblown attempt to defend against the virus so that the lungs get damaged, swell up and fill with fluid.

Young people with healthy, powerful immune systems are more likely to have this autoimmune reaction called a cytokine storm.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,981,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I suspect that the Mexico will take the brunt of it---------although; it may wreak havoc on Mexican immigrants-----------legal and/or illegal here.
Just out of curiosity, why do you think that it would affect Mexicans in the United States more than other people in the US? Or is that not what you are saying?

Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I think because its said to be human to human and the outbreak started in mexico. The more people in contract with those exposed the harder hit. Just as its said that two of the children in NY had been to mexico. In fact that is probaly why its hitting thoise 20 to40 the most;they work and have more contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness