Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:58 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times

Advertisements

I've had mine for almost two months now and I was frustrated with them for about a week. After a week, it was like riding a bicycle. I didn't have to worry about how to tilt my head or how to point my nose to read stuff.

I love how I can just tilt my head back a bit when I'm reading really small print and I have no problem going from reading a book to looking at the tv or computer. I see awesome for distance when driving now.

I would have to suggest that you at least give it 7 days. If after that, you may have a problem with the lenses or your prescription is not not good for it.

I don't have too much myopia but have quite a bit of astigmatism... so my situation may be different than yours.

Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I never adjusted to them. They made me nauseous. I returned mine.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Progressive lenses have to be done very carefully and very well. Great care has to be taken to line up the lens with your eye properly. That said, it took me about a week to adjust to the progressives the first time, and a few days the second time. I'm using them right now and don't even notice most of the time. They're nicer than bifocals too cause you can look through a certain part of the lens to get the right power for that computer distance that's too far for using reading power but too close for distance power. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I never adjusted to them. They made me nauseous. I returned mine.
This happens to a minority of people and in that case you just have to go back to bifocals.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJParisi View Post
I've had my progressives since December. At first I was doing fine , or at least I thought I was, as I do not wear them for everything, but now, occassionaly, I get dizzy/lightheaded, especially on the computer! I noticed the other day when I was cleaning a top of a dresser and then went to something below that, I got very dizzy! Has this happened to anyone? I switched back to my reading glasses for now and have no issue other than I can't see far. Why is this happening? Maybe it is not the glasses? I seriously feel like I am losing my mind!
It is the glasses. Vision is an integral part of balance and closely connected to the vestibular system. If the progressive lens isn't lined up right, on top of the regular distortion, it sends visual cues to your brain that you are not upright and that causes the dizziness. It's important to have a perfectly-lined up lens that is carefully ground. If that still makes you nauseous (as sometimes happens in a minority of cases where people never adjust) then you have to go back to bifocals.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-23-2011 at 12:08 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 12:00 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
This happens to a minority of people and in that case you just have to go back to bifocals.
I think it's about 10% of people who can't adjust. Personally, I adjusted within a week, but I did feel like I was trying to look through fishbowls for a few days. Tried contacts, but my eyes are essentially incompatible with them.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva S. View Post
As an optician, i hope the following information helps new progressive wearers.
[cut for brevity]
1. RX. the stronger it is the harder it is to adapt.
I can personally attest to this one. I have +4.50 D OD +6.00 D OS with a +2.00 D add OU. Having progressives at that power take awhile to adjust to. On top I have strabismus so my lenses have to really be perfectly aligned with my eyes or it screws with my double vision.

Quote:
3. Size and Shape of the frame: The bigger and wider (rectangular shaped) the frame is, the more distortion you are more likely to have. If customer refuses to restyle into a smaller frame, i always suggest upgrading.
I definitely agree--smaller frame makes a huge difference. The only downside is that for plus lens wearers, you can end up looking through a very small "window."

Quote:
3. You will ALWAYS have peripheral distortion out of a progressive lens. There are many lenses progressive type of lenses like Advanced View Progressive (AVP) or Varilux Progressive lenses that minimize the distortion (especially when it comes down to your reading and intermediate channels) but there is nothing out there that completely gets rid of it.
I also notice this and the only way around it for me is to just not look there. The worst is walking down stairs. I never look down when walking down stairs.

Quote:
7. if after reading and following the above you still cant adapt, then lined bifocal lenses would be your answer or just having to pairs of glasses 1. for dist and 2nd for reading.
Two pairs of glasses are a pain in the neck. I used to have 4 base out PD OU for my reading portion and so I had to have separate reading glasses. It's very annoying to keep track of distance and reading glasses. It's very different from having reading glasses. Reading glasses you have to worry about not losing. Having two pairs you have to worry about not losing AND switching back and forth. If you do any sort of look far away then look near (e.g. copying notes from a blackboard) you either have to switch fast between both pairs or rely on someone else to read the blackboard or the notes to you. Very annoying. JMO.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-23-2011 at 12:13 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I think it's about 10% of people who can't adjust. Personally, I adjusted within a week, but I did feel like I was trying to look through fishbowls for a few days. Tried contacts, but my eyes are essentially incompatible with them.
I can't do contacts either. Plus needing reading glasses over contacts defeats the whole purpose of contacts. IMO I think bifocals or progressives are easier than having reading glasses over contacts.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I can't do contacts either. Plus needing reading glasses over contacts defeats the whole purpose of contacts. IMO I think bifocals or progressives are easier than having reading glasses over contacts.
Agree - I'm still vain enough to never have tried actual lined bifocals. Got my first pair of progressives at 37. I beat the doctor's estimate by 30 years! He warned my mom I'd need bifocals soon when I was 6.

My prescription is +6.25 and +7, add 2 for the bifocal portion. With astigmatism and strabismus, throw in some nystagmus in my right eye, just for fun. <breaks into song> And a partridge in a pear treeeee!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Agree - I'm still vain enough to never have tried actual lined bifocals. Got my first pair of progressives at 37. I beat the doctor's estimate by 30 years! He warned my mom I'd need bifocals soon when I was 6.

My prescription is +6.25 and +7, add 2 for the bifocal portion. With astigmatism and strabismus, throw in some nystagmus in my right eye, just for fun. <breaks into song> And a partridge in a pear treeeee!
I feel you! Lol. I got my first reading glasses at 12 and my first progressive around 15. I don't have nystagmus, but I have strabismus in all three directions--vertical, horizontal, and torsional (my eyes wander outwards, my left eye wanders downwards relative to my right eye, and my eyes tilt inwards on an axis that runs through the pupil). I have a mild astigmatism but it's also hard to get the axis right with a cylindrical lens when my eyes themselves are constantly moving around in the wrong way on that axis (usually when you tilt your head, even slightly, your eyes make up for it by tilting the other way to keep the retinal images upright--mine don't). Needless to say, definitely makes fitting glasses hard. But hey, if we can get by with progressives, then there's definitely hope for the rest of the lens wearer population.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-23-2011 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness