Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 03:24 PM

87 posts, read 310,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Whoever needs progressive lenses should certainly consider multifocal contacts. NO time at all getting used to them. Mine have 3 distances and your brain just figures it out - no tilting your head up or down. Mine are pretty expensive because I also have astigmatism but having to wear readers or resorting back to glasses after 30 years of contacts did not interest me.
Good advice, and people should definitely look into that option.

Unfortunately they don't fit everyone (they didn't for me). I had contacts, one fitted for far, the other near and my brain also figured it out, but I have to say the quality of vision with the glasses is so much better - I tried a lot of contacts over the years. I have had contacts for 5 years or so, but my eyes got tired of them, and I of having to deal with them

The progressives I have render the world suddenly in Hi-Def I thought I had ok far-sight (needed glasses for reading). I had no idea my vision had gotten so bad. I’m getting a big kick out of that.

Intermediate and reading are a challenge, it feels as if I’m looking through a straw. I *especially* find them impossible to use on the computer with both of my screens (not as bad on the laptop with the smaller screen). I suspect I may have to get a dedicated pair of glasses for just computer work.

I just got the glasses on Saturday, I'm going to give them a bit more time to see if I can adjust better to them.

I’ve been taking short walks the last two night just because I can see the stars (what little there are visible here) as clear pin-pricks in the night sky that I couldn’t see before. And those that I could see before, are no longer fuzzy double or triple disks.

Bites getting old (late 50s) .. but technology rocks (they still have some work to do on progressive lenses though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 05:13 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
I never did.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Whoever needs progressive lenses should certainly consider multifocal contacts. NO time at all getting used to them. Mine have 3 distances and your brain just figures it out - no tilting your head up or down. Mine are pretty expensive because I also have astigmatism but having to wear readers or resorting back to glasses after 30 years of contacts did not interest me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH2CA View Post
Good advice, and people should definitely look into that option.

Unfortunately they don't fit everyone (they didn't for me). I had contacts, one fitted for far, the other near and my brain also figured it out, but I have to say the quality of vision with the glasses is so much better - I tried a lot of contacts over the years. I have had contacts for 5 years or so, but my eyes got tired of them, and I of having to deal with them

The progressives I have render the world suddenly in Hi-Def I thought I had ok far-sight (needed glasses for reading). I had no idea my vision had gotten so bad. I’m getting a big kick out of that.

Intermediate and reading are a challenge, it feels as if I’m looking through a straw. I *especially* find them impossible to use on the computer with both of my screens (not as bad on the laptop with the smaller screen). I suspect I may have to get a dedicated pair of glasses for just computer work.

I just got the glasses on Saturday, I'm going to give them a bit more time to see if I can adjust better to them.

I’ve been taking short walks the last two night just because I can see the stars (what little there are visible here) as clear pin-pricks in the night sky that I couldn’t see before. And those that I could see before, are no longer fuzzy double or triple disks.

Bites getting old (late 50s) .. but technology rocks (they still have some work to do on progressive lenses though
Multifocal contacts are not the same as having one eye fitted for near and the other eye for far. For multifocal you use both eyes and have THREE levels of correction - that sounded better to me so it's the route I took. The middle distance is perfect for computer work. Also, no blurry periphery as those with progressive glasses seem to have.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:30 AM

87 posts, read 310,135 times
Quote:
Multifocal contacts are not the same as having one eye fitted for near and the other eye for far.

Sorry, not very clear phrasing/formatting on my behalf. Perhaps this would have been better:

"Unfortunately they don't fit everyone (they didn't for me).

Instead I had contacts, one fitted for far, the other near and my brain also figured it out, but I have to say the quality of vision with the glasses is so much better .."

I didn't meant to imply that multifocals and what I did were the same, thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify this for others.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH2CA View Post
Sorry, not very clear phrasing/formatting on my behalf. Perhaps this would have been better:

"Unfortunately they don't fit everyone (they didn't for me).

Instead I had contacts, one fitted for far, the other near and my brain also figured it out, but I have to say the quality of vision with the glasses is so much better .."

I didn't meant to imply that multifocals and what I did were the same, thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify this for others.
Yup - just two different routes trying to get to the same destination.

And I know that if you've never worn contacts, probably folks won't consider them at the age of 50+ but with all the negativity I seem to see on progressives it seems like an option. You can get "trial" lenses for free though you would need to pay for an eye exam / lens fitting from your eye doctor.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 746 times
What is everybody meaning when they talk about "adjusting" to progressive lenses? Is it just learning to point your nose at whatever you want to look at, and learning how to tilt your head to access the right part of the lens? Or something more than that?

I just got my first pair of progressives a few days ago, and I'm having a horrible time using them. I can deal with how everything tilts left and right as I turn my head from side to side; for me that's not the main problem. My issue is that at what I consider normal viewing distances, things are blurry. I have to sit 1 1/2 arms length from the computer screen until things are clear when looking through the middle part of the glasses. When looking at my phone, I have to hold it about 21" from my eyes until it's in focus when viewing through the bottom part of the glasses. Distance at the top is amazing, though, and I'm getting a kick out of being able to see things across the room or street clearly.

When being fitted with the progressives, I mentioned that it seemed I had to sit pretty far back to read a computer screen, but they kept saying that my eyes would adjust and that my brain was used to me sitting too closely to the screen with my single-focus reading glasses.

I can't tell if something wasn't measured correctly with these glasses, or if I'm supposed to endure the blurriness until my eyes learn how to focus at a different distance or something. I'd sure appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2018, 11:51 PM

240 posts, read 586,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeep View Post
What is everybody meaning when they talk about "adjusting" to progressive lenses? Is it just learning to point your nose at whatever you want to look at, and learning how to tilt your head to access the right part of the lens? Or something more than that?

I just got my first pair of progressives a few days ago, and I'm having a horrible time using them. I can deal with how everything tilts left and right as I turn my head from side to side; for me that's not the main problem. My issue is that at what I consider normal viewing distances, things are blurry. I have to sit 1 1/2 arms length from the computer screen until things are clear when looking through the middle part of the glasses. When looking at my phone, I have to hold it about 21" from my eyes until it's in focus when viewing through the bottom part of the glasses. Distance at the top is amazing, though, and I'm getting a kick out of being able to see things across the room or street clearly.

When being fitted with the progressives, I mentioned that it seemed I had to sit pretty far back to read a computer screen, but they kept saying that my eyes would adjust and that my brain was used to me sitting too closely to the screen with my single-focus reading glasses.

I can't tell if something wasn't measured correctly with these glasses, or if I'm supposed to endure the blurriness until my eyes learn how to focus at a different distance or something. I'd sure appreciate any advice. Thanks!
I have worn progressives for probably at least 15 years and I have never encountered the problems you are having - such as this tilts and stuff. I had a pair of lined trifocals about 8 or 9 years ago and I hated them passionately. At least with progressives you don't have to have your eyes dead on. I would say there is something badly wrong with your prescription or glasses maker. By the way - one year about 8 years ago when I was even broker than I am now I got lined tri-focals and as far I was concerned they were a nightmare. I was constantly bobbing my head up and down to find the lines.
The main problem with lineless was overcoming all the crap about how horrible everybody said they were.. You really shouldn't hardly have bob your head up and down at all. Your eyes will just naturally be looking through the part you need. By the way I just measured and I am 16 inches from my computer screen. You've gotta get your PD right though. That is the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness