Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 AM

373 posts, read 1,853,125 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever lost their contact lens in the eye? I know it can't go to the back of the eye, but mine is just plain missing in there somewhere. It's been gone since yesterday. I've gone to the OD, but they just gave me a tech and she didn't use dye. She says she "doesn't think" it's in there, but if it is, "it should work itself out." How comforting!

I really feel like these Acuvue lens flip around a lot in the eye and just plain fall out, too. But, this one really feels like it's back there somewhere. I've heard stories of folks having the lost contact just show up a few days later.

Has this ever happened to any of you? What was your experience like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 AM

364 posts, read 527,258 times
I have had that happen. I wear Acuvue 2. I'm sure you know how you lift up your eyelid and move your eyes around to try to find it? Usually I see it peaking out because mine are colored. If yours are clear might be more difficult. Mine came out in my sleep. I woke up with an uncomfortable feeling and as soon as I openned my eye it fell out. I also once slept in them and had them both crack in many pieces. Took about 48 hours for all of the pieces to come out. I would NEVER sleep in them again. If it does not come out soon, I would really seak a doctor's help.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-19-2007, 08:46 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
You're right - that is uncomfortable. I've lost one like that, but never for that long. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:35 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Did you try to put drops in your eyes? It might help move them closer to the front. I don't wear soft so I wouldn't know about losing them in my eye, I have had mine move to the top or sides and it hurts. My hubby wears soft but I never heard him mentioning this happening to him.

I would go see a dr. if you don't find it soon.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:57 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
Has anyone ever lost their contact lens in the eye? I know it can't go to the back of the eye, but mine is just plain missing in there somewhere. It's been gone since yesterday. I've gone to the OD, but they just gave me a tech and she didn't use dye. She says she "doesn't think" it's in there, but if it is, "it should work itself out." How comforting!

I really feel like these Acuvue lens flip around a lot in the eye and just plain fall out, too. But, this one really feels like it's back there somewhere. I've heard stories of folks having the lost contact just show up a few days later.

Has this ever happened to any of you? What was your experience like?
I wore contacts for years. I was under the assumption that the muscles that surround the eye would prevent a contact from getting behind it as well. I had a few get stuck under my eyelid over the years. I did have a few pop out as well (very common when I originally started with hard lens in the 70's) and didn't notice it until I realized things were a bit out of focus. Hope you find it!-

Old 03-19-2007, 12:06 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,331 times
Ack, my eyes are watering just reading this

Old 03-19-2007, 12:56 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,340 times
I had that happen a couple of times. It worked its way out by the end of the day. It came out of inside corner of my eye..that was a wierd feeling. Good luck!!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:13 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times
I've been wearing contacts for close to 30 yrs now and I can count on one hand how many times that's happened to me. At first I think maybe it fell out and that's why I can't find it. But somehow, someway, on it's own, it typically comes out within a day or two. I realize it's a pain, but I've never been harmed by the experience. Mainly annoyed. And I remember putting a 2nd contact in that same eye, because I still had to see. I believe (though it's been awhile) that it normally works it's way back towards the front of the eye during the night and I'm able to get it out in the morning. I hope you find it soon. Best wishes!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
I wear contacts and can remember a couple of times this has happened to me. Mainly because I s u c k at putting contacs in and only do it because I'm vain! Anyhow, once it got stuck up top, behind the eye, and let me tell you that it drives me CRAZY-not just painful...but like panicky. Anyhow, my husband got it out for me. Then about 2 weeks ago it got lost again, and no hubby this time. I think I almost blinded myself by stabbing my eye so many times to find it. I couldn't find it but the little crapper was killing me. I put drops and everything in there. Do you feel it, or do you just think it's there? I always felt mine. Needless to say, 15 minutes later it plopped in the right spot all on its own, but my eye hurt so bad (probably from me spearing it) that I couldn't wear them for about 30 minutes.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
It happened to me because I got lazy and started wearing contacts to sleep and enjoying waking up with good vision. One morning I woke up around 3am with my eye streaming and clamped shut and I couldn't get it open and it literally was pouring tears. My contact had broken up and scratched my cornea and it took hours to get the part out.
I couldn't drive to work that day and I had to pull the shades and put on sunglasses in the house and wear a ballcap with a visor to even stand what light got through.
I went to the eye doctor and they told me I was scratched up pretty good and just had to wait for it to repair itself. It was awful. I didn't wear contacts again for five years...too scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness