Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:49 PM

89 posts, read 417,264 times

Advertisements

In the last month I've seen about a third of our staff at work be hit with (like a ton of bricks) a stomach virus and be down for a week. It's also torn through our house like Fran. And I just happened to see on the news where the VA hospital is just telling people to just stay away because of it! Is this something everyone else is experiencing? I've never seen anything like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 05:24 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariegirl View Post
In the last month I've seen about a third of our staff at work be hit with (like a ton of bricks) a stomach virus and be down for a week. It's also torn through our house like Fran. And I just happened to see on the news where the VA hospital is just telling people to just stay away because of it! Is this something everyone else is experiencing? I've never seen anything like it.
While I have not heard of an outbreak here on the west coast, I would not wish rotavirus on anyone!! DH and I both got it when our first child was only 6 months old. Fortunately, DS, did not get it. But it was definately one of those "in sickness and in health moments" that tested our parenting strength.

Handwashing is key to prevent it. And if you do get it, handwashing is even more important to prevent the spread in your household.

Good luck and stay well!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:28 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
We haven't seen anything like that and I have 2 kids in school..so far this winter not even a cold (fingers crossed!).hopefully it won't make its way to the classroom in our area!! HOpe it clears out of your area soon!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:11 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I am in OH right now and we are dealing with it, too. Lasts about 6 days....LONG for a stomach bug. UGH!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:59 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
Only thing we have had has been off and on coughs, walking pneumonia and my daughter had a fever for 2 days with a stomach ache. All mild. I do know a little boy down the street had a confirmed case of influenza.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariegirl View Post
It seems I saw on the local raleigh news that there is an outbreak of something in some NC hospital. The hospital was telling people not to even go to their hospital....just stay away....lol

I think it was Greensboro....but not sure

Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
It seems I saw on the local raleigh news that there is an outbreak of something in some NC hospital. The hospital was telling people not to even go to their hospital....just stay away....lol

I think it was Greensboro....but not sure
Yeah, I heard on the news it is Greensboro...This is a nasty bug folks. Wash those hands frequently! While visiting my sister in Delaware she was very suddenly struck down with this thing last month and ended up in the ER. But first, before we could even get her there we had to go buy some DEPENDS! Otherwise she never could have made the trip!!! She's only 40 so you can imagine the humor in that NOW. Anyway, the rest of us avoided getting sick by sanitizing all door knobs and other surfaces in her house and washing our hands constantly. Plus, I opened every single window in the house (22 degrees outside, yikes!!) and left them open for 30 minutes. I will be glad when this little epidemic on the east coast ends - so far I haven't heard of many cases in Charlotte, but Greensboro is still too close for comfort!

Old 02-14-2007, 10:36 PM

106 posts, read 512,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yeah, I heard on the news it is Greensboro...This is a nasty bug folks. Wash those hands frequently! While visiting my sister in Delaware she was very suddenly struck down with this thing last month and ended up in the ER. But first, before we could even get her there we had to go buy some DEPENDS! Otherwise she never could have made the trip!!! She's only 40 so you can imagine the humor in that NOW. Anyway, the rest of us avoided getting sick by sanitizing all door knobs and other surfaces in her house and washing our hands constantly. Plus, I opened every single window in the house (22 degrees outside, yikes!!) and left them open for 30 minutes. I will be glad when this little epidemic on the east coast ends - so far I haven't heard of many cases in Charlotte, but Greensboro is still too close for comfort!
we have had this virus in upstate ny as well --nasty little bugger--you also can get it more than once..... so wash your hands

Old 02-14-2007, 11:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
The latest on the Greensboro hospital outbreak:

Date: February 13, 2007
Stomach virus is under control, Moses Cone says

An outbreak of a highly contagious stomach virus within the Moses Cone Health System is under control, a spokesman said Monday. The illness, called norovirus, is still making its way through the Greensboro area, Doug Allred said. Twenty suspected cases of the virus came into the health system's facilities Sunday alone. A number of those cases were from area nursing homes, Allred said.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/noro-qa.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 02-14-2007 at 11:25 PM..

Old 02-15-2007, 12:45 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,923 times
Default thats a problem all over

For some reason we are seeing more & more cases of diseases in this country that we never seen in the past, or some are on the comeback. Like TB.

From what i have read and recently heard from a well know surgeon its mostly coming from outside our country.

People sneak into our country without getting tested, then they pass that on to our kids.

sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness