Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
For some reason we are seeing more & more cases of diseases in this country that we never seen in the past, or some are on the comeback. Like TB.

From what i have read and recently heard from a well know surgeon its mostly coming from outside our country.

People sneak into our country without getting tested, then they pass that on to our kids.

sad
Um... the norovirus, or Norwalk virus, is named after the town of Norwalk, OHIO, where the virus was first discovered in the 1960s. And it's been spreading ever since.

"Foreigners" have nothing to do with this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
In CT. my family got that nasty bug. It started at daycare with my neice. She brought it home to mom and dad, and then it spread to grandma, grandpa and her aunt. It hit my brother so hard it attacked the heart and he had a silent heart attack. It put him in the hospital for 3 days with numerous tests. Everyone is ok now, but WOW! I'm staying put in NC and not visiting for awhile. Scary for sure.

Stay Well,

Debbie

Old 02-15-2007, 05:49 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
It is a nasty beast; I was felled by it about 5 years ago. Last year, I got something even *nastier*, the so-called C. diff. (or Clostridium Dificile) bacteria bug. Imagine Norwalk virus but with a 2-day hospital stay. Ugh... :-(

Old 02-15-2007, 05:49 AM

89 posts, read 417,264 times
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=triangle&id=5035397
This is the story I was referring to. It's all over the triangle! I work in downtown Raleigh and my son attends school in Garner. I did go on the CDC website and found that you can get it more than once (found that out the hard way when my son got sick again). I was down for almost a week, but the energy I could muster was hosing everything down with bleach and washing every piece of clothing and linens in the house.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:43 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
WE got it back in NY last year, 1st the kids, then me. Even though I opened the windows & lysoled everything, we all got it.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM

676 posts, read 3,076,139 times
My baby and husband just got it the first week of Feb. My friend with her baby had visited me, she called me the next day to say her baby was throwing up and 3 hours later my baby was throwing up too. Then bam, my husband, her husband and my friend all got it the following day. I was the only one left standing! It felt like the worst 3-4 days of our life. I was a fanatic with wiping everything down. My hands are still dried out from all of my handwashing. We didn't know what hit us and then we started hearing about it on the news. I don't wish this virus on my worst enemy.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:09 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Default Is it airborne??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
WE got it back in NY last year, 1st the kids, then me. Even though I opened the windows & lysoled everything, we all got it.

If it is a airborne bacteria, change out your heating filters, run the system, and replace them again.
It it is airborne, it can also get into your car heater/ac, so that needs to be flushed as well......

Old 02-15-2007, 12:50 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default put that on the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
For some reason we are seeing more & more cases of diseases in this country that we never seen in the past, or some are on the comeback. Like TB.

From what i have read and recently heard from a well know surgeon its mostly coming from outside our country.

People sneak into our country without getting tested, then they pass that on to our kids.

sad
They should put that on the news when illegall immigration issues come up!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:05 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
They should put that on the news when illegall immigration issues come up!
I have a hard time believing that an illegal immigrant would be able to traverse the harsh US/Mexico border while infected with a stomach virus.
Many healthy people die of thirst trying to make that trek throught the desert. I doubt someone vomiting constantly would have a chance.

Illnesses like this are spread around the world through airplanes and cruise ships, and international travel is much more common than it used to be. That's why you see outbreaks like this. For instance, almost all flu outbreaks in the US originate in China. That's how they develop flu vaccines each year....they develop vaccines based on whatever is currently popping up in China.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Um... the norovirus, or Norwalk virus, is named after the town of Norwalk, OHIO, where the virus was first discovered in the 1960s. And it's been spreading ever since.

"Foreigners" have nothing to do with this one.
I grew up not far from Norwalk...and it's always been a small joke that this the the places biggest claim to fame since the furniture industry left decades before.

However, it's so much easier to blame 'them there foreigners' then a small community in North Central Ohio!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness