Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 146,974 times

Advertisements

I have an update to my condition. The following is an email I sent to a concerned someone with the same symptoms....

Since I posted on the forum, I have had surgery on that ear. A doctor in Singapore sectioned both the tensor tempani and steapidal(sp?) tendons. The frequency of the thumping attacks had increased to almost daily up to the day I had surgery. Since then, four months now, I have not had the thumping attacks, but occasionally hear sounds similar to the thumps. It has still been difficult in that I still get very anxious when I hear a sound similar to the old thump. But I feel that the surgery probably worked since I do not have any symptoms nearly as bad as before the procedure. It's possible the noises that I do still hear are different, yet infrequent "natural" sounds in my ear and nothing to worry about. I've also considered that what I am hearing now are only phantom thumps. I had the thumping for almost two years, and in that time spent most of my time thinking of the thump; now it's hard to forget. It's possible that the surgery had a prolonged placebo effect in my case, but if so, I am still confident that I can defeat issue if it returns as it might be caused by stress or anxiety.

There were no complications from the surgery. I was under general anesthesia and spent a half day in the hospital. I had four stitches and had packed gauze in my ear for a week.

One other thing. I had noticed before the surgery that I could voluntarily tense those muscles and produce a roaring noise in my ear. When I did this, I could not hear or feel the thump. I noticed sometimes also (presurgery), that sometimes when I would burp (or internally hiccup), I could hear the same roar and often this would trigger the thumping. After the surgery I no longer have the ability to tense the muscles (obviously, since they're cut), and can not produce the roaring sound. Also, the operated ear does not react anymore to the burping or hiccuping.

Hang in there. I understand how stressful you feel. I felt that my whole world was falling apart and that I would never have control of my mind again. I considered suicide many times. And I know many people won't understand, but I felt that without my mind and imagination, I was already dead. You get sick of people saying, "just don't think about it", but it can take complete control of your thoughts. It was possibly self-reinforcing as well. Anxiety may have induced it, and the thumping just caused more anxiety. The doctor that gave me the surgery understood tinnitus very well and told me that ringing tinnitus and pulsatile (thumping) tinnitus affect sufferers differently. He said that pulsatile tinnitus is much more difficult to deal with psychologically because of the intermittent nature of the sound and constant anticipation it causes. It was very comforting to have a doctor that actually understood the problems that the disorder was causing (I went to 5 different doctors).

So, if you are not scared of the surgery, and do not feel that you can deal with the thumping, I suggest you have the operation. You might have to go through a few check-ups first. I had to have a few different hearing tests and an MRI before the doctor would agree to the surgery. Also, I suggest visiting a doctor when you have an attack as they have an instrument that can determine if the membrane (eardrum) is moving, caused by the thumping. If the condition is due to the tendons, the doctor should be able to see the membrane move.

Hope this helps. Let me know if have any other questions. Good luck.

-Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 15,858 times
I have that sensation as well. Hypothyroidism appears to be a cause. Iron Deficiency Anaemia as well as B12 Anaemia could also be the culprits.
A chiropractor would help if misalignment is the cause.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 15,789 times
throbbing on my left ear started 11 years ago when i gave birth. if i change position it will go away. now its not going away even i change position, in addition i have this pain on my left head on the bottom of my skull that started 2 weeks ago. went to dr today and they want me to go back for blood drawn tomorrow morning and schedule mri.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 15,690 times
I hear a pulse in my ear every once in a while. I hate it. Sometimes when I run up the stairs I can hear it, I usually get a headache right behind it. It is annoying. It comes and goes. I am afraid of it but from listening to every one. I have heard over 3 things it could be and I dont wanna waste my time with a doctor tryna figure it out. That is annoying as well. I dont know what to do, but it is scary.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,811 times
This (old) thread caught my eye as I've been dealing with ear problems for a year now.

While I don't have the throbbing/pulse hearing symptoms - I did have vertigo (now gone with the help of a daily diuretic RX), bilateral head pain, deep inner ear pain, outer ear pain, inner ear warmth, and the occasional "wet ear" upon waking-up in the morning.

Constantly in and out of Urgent Care and in contact with my ENT. I'm currently taking Hydrocodone as needed for pain and was just told the other day that I may need to have tubes put in.

I'm (usually) a very healthy 39 year old runner (don't drink/smoke/low salt GF diet, etc...) so needless to say, I'm very unhappy with my situation.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 15,538 times
it could be low iron, i take iron complete from
GNC, eat more red meat take a multi-vitamin
with iron, and also say out loud " My Ear is healed by the" STRIPES-OF-JESUS !!
say this on a regular basis, and take those vitamins (:
God-Bless !::/!!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 14,800 times
i suffered a blow to the right side of my head(near my ear) a few years ago atm im having problems with hearing out of the R ear and my head on the R side is always got a headache and tight. I have had scans for my head they r fine should i get my R ear checked.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,180 times
I am having the same thing, just started 2 weeks ago. Left ear throbbing, pulsating and I can hear my pulse when it's quiet. Comes and goes and when i am stressed or heart beats faster I can hear it. I also have a weird sensation in my left head, like a discomfort feeling. Not painful per say, just a strange feeling like a headcold. Made an appt with Dr.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 27,615 times
I have just been diagnosed with Underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism) I saw earlier on in the thread that this could be related. Would love to hear any ways to cure, it's really annoying, more so when I'm typing in work

Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Thyroid replacement therapy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness