Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
khp khp started this thread

40 posts, read 1,084,439 times

Advertisements

I have been having annual gyno exams for about 5 years now. A friend of mine recently mentioned that she had a rectovaginal exam during her visit. I was somewhat shocked by this, considering she is in her early twenties with no case history(including familial) of reproductive problems. She continued to tell me that her doctor, who is a male, performs this during every annual exam as a standard procedure. I have never heard of someone healthy who is under 40 years old having this performed. Is this a common practice among male gynos? My two gynos have both been female and have never even mentioned such a thing. They are both highly-recommended and well-respected physicians. Since talking to my friend, I have read articles on the reasons for a rectovaginal exam, but none seem to relate to the under 40 age group. I would feel incredibly uncomfortable if a rectovaginal exam were suggested, much less if it were performed "as standard" without asking me! What are your experiences/opinions on this? Should I mention to by gyno on my next visit that I do NOT want this performed?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:15 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
This is the recommended procedure for all gyno exams by some. It can't hurt, even though it is not pleasant!

Gynecologist: Is Rectal Exam Necessary?

Ovarian cancer is very deadly and usually not detected until it is too late.

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-25-2008, 02:21 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khp View Post
I have been having annual gyno exams for about 5 years now. A friend of mine recently mentioned that she had a rectovaginal exam during her visit. I was somewhat shocked by this, considering she is in her early twenties with no case history(including familial) of reproductive problems. She continued to tell me that her doctor, who is a male, performs this during every annual exam as a standard procedure. I have never heard of someone healthy who is under 40 years old having this performed. Is this a common practice among male gynos? My two gynos have both been female and have never even mentioned such a thing. They are both highly-recommended and well-respected physicians. Since talking to my friend, I have read articles on the reasons for a rectovaginal exam, but none seem to relate to the under 40 age group. I would feel incredibly uncomfortable if a rectovaginal exam were suggested, much less if it were performed "as standard" without asking me! What are your experiences/opinions on this? Should I mention to by gyno on my next visit that I do NOT want this performed?
My obgyn does this during a certain time during pregnancy... but that is the ONLY time I have ever had it...

Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times
I have been to a bunch of different gyns because I've moved so much, most of which have been highly recommended. I'd say 75% of them have performed a rectal exam. I am in my early 30's now and have had this done since my early 20's. Not every gyn does it, but almost all of mine have and I never had a problem with it. What's the big deal? They're already down there and seeing your nether regions up close, and performing the internal exam anyway.

Just to clarify--What I'm talking about is that I have had a rectal exam performed separately as part of my pelvic exam, but I've never had a rectovaginal exam performed. The rectal exam doesn't hurt though it is uncomfortable, and they are checking for any rectal masses that could signal rectal/colon cancer. Some gyns ask before they do it, others just inform you that they're doing it. I view it as part of a complete annual pelvic exam.

It was my understanding that this exam is recommended for all women in all age groups, as part of a complete pelvic exam.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Yes, this is a NORMAL part of a complete gyn exam, as we were taught in medical school. Part of the reason it's done is that there's a very thin wall of tissue between the rectum and the vagina. Doing a bimanual exam, with a gloved finger in the rectum and one in the vagina you can actually feel if there's a mass in that wall of tissue. This has saved lives. Not to mention the exam for occult fecal blood, which is a screen for colorectal cancer.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,274 times
My dr does it at the annual exam, too, but did mention it before the exam began so I wasn't surprised.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 PM

Default Thanks for your comments

I appreciate all of your commentary and advice. I actually find it rather interesting that nearly everyone agreed that this is normal as the majority--though not all-- of the responders on other sites (including "women's health" sites) felt that a rectal exam on a young woman was "shocking," "weird" and made them as uncomfortable as I feel about it. It may be a standard practice in the medical field, but I feel very uncomfortable with the thought of it and will definitely make my gyno aware that I will not agree to have this performed until I am much, much older. As for doctors who simply "inform you" that they are going to do one, I literally would get up and leave. I value my medical doctors' advice, however I also believe in a patient's right to only undergo what she (or he) is fully and completely comfortable with.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 PM

Default After more research...

After reading your responses I was a little disturbed and quite paranoid about my next gyno visit, so I did some more researching and found that the recommendation for a rectal or rectovaginal exam is about 50%-50%. I assure you that I visited not only "chatroom" type sites, but also read internet articles by practicing gynecologists that you can also readily find online. It appears at surface level at least that the older generation of gynos is the one performing the rectal exams.

As for the earlier response of "What's the big deal?" a rectal exam is a HUGE deal to me. I have never had anything go up there and don't intend to until around the age a man would begin getting his yearly prostate exam. Although I'm sure your comment was meant to put me at ease, if you do a little searching you will surely find that many, many women find this to be an invasive and upsetting procedure.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
my femaile gyno does it and it's a very quick procedure. Not invasive and very necessary. It is NOT a big deal; however rectal cancer IS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khp View Post
After reading your responses I was a little disturbed and quite paranoid about my next gyno visit, so I did some more researching and found that the recommendation for a rectal or rectovaginal exam is about 50%-50%. I assure you that I visited not only "chatroom" type sites, but also read internet articles by practicing gynecologists that you can also readily find online. It appears at surface level at least that the older generation of gynos is the one performing the rectal exams.

As for the earlier response of "What's the big deal?" a rectal exam is a HUGE deal to me. I have never had anything go up there and don't intend to until around the age a man would begin getting his yearly prostate exam. Although I'm sure your comment was meant to put me at ease, if you do a little searching you will surely find that many, many women find this to be an invasive and upsetting procedure.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 PM

There is absolutely no history of any cancer in my family aside from male prostate cancer. I feel so uncomfortable with the thought of a rectal exam that if one were required to be performed I may stop going to the gyno altogether. I appreciate your reassurance, but I am yet to me convinced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness