Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:21 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
"Yeah, there must be a massive conspiracy out there among doctors to do a rectal exam on you. I suggest you sue them."

I can't help it..........ROTFL

I never heard tell of some one so adamant against a rectal during a GYN exam. It's not like they are gonna stick a speculum up your rear end! and once a year at most?
Hey for a what, 10 second quickie check, that could mean early detection of a problem?? I said poke away LOL, you're already down there.
Now THIS is the one that sends me ROTFLMAO!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 04:39 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Although it is a "normal" part of the exam, she is young and highly unlikely to develop any cancers. If you are uncomfortable with it, you need only say it and prefer that the doctor don't do it. He should make a note in your medical charts which basically makes him immune to your lawsuit should you develop cancer there and it was "missed". BUT he won't ignore it completely, he still will be looking for evidence of a mass even though he won't perform that procedure... He just has a better chance of finding it with that procedure.. Doctors are more aggressive "to do everything" because lawsuits don't care whether you are right or not anymore.. The patient could always claim "I am a non-medical person, the doctor shouldn't have listened to me when I refused the rectal exam. I am going to sue him." These type of claims are more common than you think...

Old 07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
khp khp started this thread

40 posts, read 1,084,462 times
Default Why are you so rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Yeah, there must be a massive conspiracy out there among doctors to do a rectal exam on you. I suggest you sue them.
I mentioned earlier that this would be my last post on this thread; however I had a "computer break" after hanging on the beach and simply had to respond to this.

Why are you so rude? What is it about internet forums (or any form of anonymity) that makes people feel it is okay to degrade others and insult their feelings? You can respond to people's questions without hurting their feelings. Asking for other's opinions is not asking for their sarcasm.

Also, you clearly misunderstood me about suing. I was using a hyperbole to get my point across.

Finally, you also clearly have not read posts on other forums, such as yahoo, about my same question if you believe that many girls and women do not feel violated. You should research before you respond is such a nasty way.

After your rude reply to a topic I find very sensitive (and the rude reply in a later post) I WILL NOT EVEN BE READING THIS THREAD ANYMORE, SO PLEASE STOP REPLYING TO ME.

Maybe DREs aren't a problem for you, but I'd like for you to think of a topic that is very sensitive in your heart and mind and imagine others mocking you for it. You should be ashamed...

Old 07-26-2008, 06:22 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Unhappy How disappointing to see a fellow poster hurt for an innocent inquiry!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
"Yeah, there must be a massive conspiracy out there among doctors to do a rectal exam on you. I suggest you sue them."

I can't help it..........ROTFL

I never heard tell of some one so adamant against a rectal during a GYN exam. It's not like they are gonna stick a speculum up your rear end! and once a year at most?
Hey for a what, 10 second quickie check, that could mean early detection of a problem?? I said poke away LOL, you're already down there.
I don't usually like to play devil's advocate or take sides with one poster over another, but I do find this type of reply insulting and insensitive.

I'm sure that to many reading this thread it might seem silly to be concerned over a rectal exam during a GYN visit. But, we all have various levels of modesty and tolerances for invasion of our bodies.

I would react the same way if a doctor did not tell me what he/she was going to do during my annual exam. I do have yearly rectal exams when I see my gynecologist, but she never fails to tell me (after she has changed her gloves, BTW) that she is going to perform one. She has seen me for years, but still respects my dignity enough to try to put me at ease for this exam. It is even more vital when one is seeing a male doctor - at least, to those of us who are modest and ill-at-ease with the exam.

To laugh and ridicule an individual is never called for under any circumstance and is certainly very insensitive with such a personal subject. Some women may have poor body self images, are quite shy about exposing themselves or DO feel violated if a doctor takes advantage of his/her position of superior authority and performs such a personal exam without first asking consent.

Before responding to a poster's serious inquiry, consider the dignity and self-worth of the individual. We never should impose our own lax or rigid standards of conduct on another.

I am sure that if those of you who responded to khp in a condescending, mocking tone had considered that your response might hurt her feelings, you would have reconsidered your post. I have found that almost all posters on C-D are some of the kindest, most considerate posters of any forum that I have ever been involved with.

I'm sure that some of you may want to look at the other point of view. How about it?

Old 07-26-2008, 07:29 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,795 times
Quote:
To laugh and ridicule an individual is never called for under any circumstance and is certainly very insensitive with such a personal subject. Some women may have poor body self images, are quite shy about exposing themselves or DO feel violated if a doctor takes advantage of his/her position of superior authority and performs such a personal exam without first asking consent.
To paraphrase Nancy Reagan...."Just Say No to a Rectal Exam" if you don't want one. But to insinuate that doctors are "aggressively persuading" or "forcing" their patients to have rectal exams against their will is exaggeration. Not saying it doesn't happen, but most doctors I know would rather not do rectal exams if they can help it. The reason they do it is to be consistent with their training and the standard of care.

If a doctor performs a rectal exam against your will or without your consent, then you obviously have the right to object. But the way the OP phrased her posts is such that even if the doctor were to ask for her consent, she is still afraid that she will be pressured/forced/aggressively persuaded to do the rectal exam. This seems more based on paranoia than on reality. All you really have to say is "NO, I don't want a rectal". End of story.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:57 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,795 times
Quote:
You can respond to people's questions without hurting their feelings. Asking for other's opinions is not asking for their sarcasm.
You were not asking a question or opinion. You were seeking confirmation for your already established bias against rectal exams. You were given reasonable answers by other posters, some of whom are knowledgeable in medicine. Yet you countered them by marshalling your own arguments and presenting websites that confirmed your bias. To me, that doesn't sound like somebody who is asking a question. You sounded to me like someone who is out on a crusade. No amount of reasonable input would have dissuaded you. There's no discussion to be had, and somehow you expected a different outcome.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:14 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,791 times
Hey all I said was I never heard anyone so against a rectal , and my gave take on them. The OP can do whatever she wants to do. Anyway I was responding to ndfmnlf.

Should I say lighten up... don't be so anal ?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:04 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,258 times
Ok we are done with this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.