Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 25,368 times

Advertisements

I'm a female (no wallet in the back pocket) I ONLY have the pain when driving my car and it only started when I got my new/used vehicle. I have tried everything - moved the seat, stering wheel, pedels etc. Bought one of those seat cushions with the opening in the back to relieve presser. The pain is so bad from my ankle up the front of my leg and into my right butt cheek. I had back surgery several years ago and I have been pain free ever since. I went to my chiropractor. I ask the car dealership today if it was possible to get a different driver seat installed NO LUCK. Stopped by a truck stop today to see if maybe they had something different I could use - nothing there either. I drive 30 miles one way to work everyday. I have only had the vehicle for a little over 2 months and it has been a misable time. I use to enjoy the drive. Any help out here???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Update from my Aug/2010 post re the spinal surgery.

Current problem is still with my right foot/leg up to the knee and is now starting on the left foot.

Did some extensive reading on the Internet (Dr's had not given me a solution to the problem).

Seems that I have "Peripheral Neuropathy".

This is based upon all my symptoms of "Tingling,Burning,Numbness,Cramps,Muscle Weakness and in addition a nail problem which is a small form of Diabetics.

No known cure other then to take small doses of pain pills when needed.

Saw my provider last Oct and the Hospital is sending me a notice (two) to make an appointment. Cannot see any reason as I complained of my existing problem for the last yr and still no positive results. I had to do a self diagnosis via the info on the Internet which varified all my symptons.

Back surgery of two yrs ago seem to work well up to the new problem that I now have.

To the person with the leg and right rear pain...it is a sciatic nerve being pressed. I had that problem 20 some yrs ago. Try SOMA (pills) which is a muscle relaxer. Other then that another car with a different seat may be in order.

Steve

Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 PM

39 posts, read 167,274 times
Default pinched nerve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarmi6251 View Post
Anyone else experience this? It first hit me about 2 months ago while driving to the beach. The pain starts in my right butt cheek and runs all the way down to my foot while driving. It can start as quickly as 5 minutes into a drive. I'm reduced to driving with cruise control as much as possible and bending the leg to alleviate the pain.

Is this something for a chiropractor? Ortho surgeon? Thanks!
Sounds like a pinched nerve to me, and I think a chiropractor would be useful.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,277 times
I know this thread is old but if you have no history of accidents that leg pain you feel COULD be a symptom of genital herpes that is moving around in the base of your spine, it then sends shooting pain up and down your back/legs.

Go get a blood test.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 23,537 times
These people talking about medical problems are off base If you get the ache only while driving something is wrong positionally I have had this since i got my fit. My right leg ACHES!!!! going to try differne tthings to sit on and hope for the best!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Go immediately to YouTube, and search for / sciatica exercise /. There are small muscles in your back that form a supporting saddle for those nerves, and you rarely use those muscles, so they have atrophied, and not giving your nerve bundle any support. Learn to do them, follow the instructions to make sure you are putting the correct muscles in play.

If you go to a doctor, ask him to prescribe physical therapy, they'll show you how to do them correctly. Don't do anything else, until you've given the exercises a chance to work. If a particular exercise causes you pain, don't do it.

The exercises are very easy, and might take 20 minutes a day at first, and you should notice improvement in a month or so. You can just do them on the floor, no exercise machines necessary, but you should have elastic stretch bands. Think about your posture. Walk and stand with your stomach muscles pulled in, in such as way as to arch your lower back outward. Pull your shoulders back, stand up straight.

What the OP has described sound a lot like the first manifestation of sciatica. Even if it's not, these exercises are harmless and sooner or later, you will probably develop sciatica to some extent, so learn now how to relieve it.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 23,018 times
Default Leg Pain when driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarmi6251 View Post
Anyone else experience this? It first hit me about 2 months ago while driving to the beach. The pain starts in my right butt cheek and runs all the way down to my foot while driving. It can start as quickly as 5 minutes into a drive. I'm reduced to driving with cruise control as much as possible and bending the leg to alleviate the pain.

Is this something for a chiropractor? Ortho surgeon? Thanks!
I am experiencing the same thing. Your symptoms are identical to what I have. I do not have pain when a passenger; only when I drive. I have been doing physical therapy and that has helped some. They think it is a sciatic nerve but I am not convinced.

I am not sure what to do?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I am experiencing the same thing. Your symptoms are identical to what I have. I do not have pain when a passenger; only when I drive. I have been doing physical therapy and that has helped some. They think it is a sciatic nerve but I am not convinced.

I am not sure what to do?
It sounds like a sciatica issue to me.
I had the same issue years ago (when i was quite young) and it "self corrected".
The sciatica pain that i've been dealing with this winter is unrelated and on the left side but it's slowly getting better.
It's my understanding (and i could easily be wrong) that sciatica pain is either due to a spinal issue or it is "sourced" in the butt area and it sounds like, in your case and in the case of the o.p., that may be the case.
I think that it makes sense that you only have this pain when you drive because you're using your right leg (therefore always a degree of tension) while your left leg is generally relaxed.
This thread may be relevant to you if only to give you some cues and clues.
My post #9 explains what you may be dealing with.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...ciatica-2.html

Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
For Sciatic pain try to get "SOMA" a muscle relaxer. Was told this by a nurse I met while my Dr gave me NO advice. it helped but took a while.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 22,540 times
Default Help

My husband (age 66) has the same symptoms as you, he can bike, hike, walk with no problem but after 20 minutes of driving he is in pain. Did you ever find out what you had and did it go away? Thanks for your help.

vsicard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness