Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times

Advertisements

WHAT are they thinking?!! Haven't they done enough damage to adults that now they want to include the children? Children whos brains and bodies are still growing and developing. This is the most outragous thing I have ever heard of!

Is this just a plot to kill off the kids who may possiably grow into obese adults or make lifelong mindless cripples out of them?

From the CBS News web sight

Quote:
There have been recent studies done on children that suggest they are safe," Senay said on CBS News' The Early Show, "but I imagine a lot of people are going to have a problem with that in that these drugs have not be studied long-term in children."
(Yea, they are saying they are safe for adults too and refusing to admit the damage these drugs are doing to the adults that are taking them or just how many lives they are ruined. Not to mention what little effect statin drugs are really having on long term mortallity and how they play with the numbers to make them sound like they are saving more lives than they actually are.)

Quote:
Dr. John LaRosa, who studies statins, told Cordes that he's surprised by the new guidelines.

"We have very little evidence that it does any good to start lowering cholesterol with drugs in children to prevent something that might not happen for 20 or 30 years down the line," Dr. LaRosa said
The academy has long recommended against reduced-fat milk for children up to age 2 because saturated fats are needed for brain development
Li said that 15 years ago most of her patients with cholesterol problems had an inherited form of cholesterol disease not connected to obesity.
Hay, but look how much more money they can make on thes drugs and how busy the doctors will be when these kids get hit with all sorts of problems that are the side effects of these drugs!

Quote:
"If we are more aggressive about this in childhood, I think we can have an impact* on what happens later in life ... and avoid some of these heart attacks and strokes in adulthood," Daniels said. He has worked as a consultant to Abbott Laboratories and Merck & Co., but not on matters involving their cholesterol drugs.
"

*Darn right, it'll have a BIG impact on their lives... just look at the long list of side effects they DO admit to! You want that for your children and grandchildren? There you go, do you get that? Why is it that these people are always on the payroll of big pharma who wants more wide spread use of these drugs?

Quote:
Screening is recommended sometime after age 2 but no later than age 10, at routine checkups.
Kill them while they are young, right?

Read the whole article here and PLEASE protect the children from these drugs!

This scares the daylights out of me, it really does! It is one thing to do this to unsuspecting adults, to to do it to our children is nothing short of killing any chance they have at a normal life.... EVEN the life as an obese child!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:08 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
I'm not surprised one bit, and I find that very sad that it isn't surprising. It's much easier to put our children on statin's then it is to teach a proper diet along with a healthy lifestyle. That's absolutely inexcusable.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:10 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
another push by drug companies to get people to pop a pill instead of changing their diet or lifestyle. how absurd!!! I wouldn't take these drugs and I am 50.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,474 times
If we didn't have all those video games, computer games and 300 TV channels we wouldn't even need to think about offering statin drugs to children! Parents need to get these children off of their rear ends and out riding their bikes, swimming, playing games outdoors, walking, running, playing with the dog, involved in sports, whatever.

Nancy

Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
WHAT are they thinking?!! Haven't they done enough damage to adults that now they want to include the children? Children whos brains and bodies are still growing and developing. This is the most outragous thing I have ever heard of!

Is this just a plot to kill off the kids who may possiably grow into obese adults or make lifelong mindless cripples out of them?

From the CBS News web sight

(Yea, they are saying they are safe for adults too and refusing to admit the damage these drugs are doing to the adults that are taking them or just how many lives they are ruined. Not to mention what little effect statin drugs are really having on long term mortallity and how they play with the numbers to make them sound like they are saving more lives than they actually are.)

Hay, but look how much more money they can make on thes drugs and how busy the doctors will be when these kids get hit with all sorts of problems that are the side effects of these drugs!

"

*Darn right, it'll have a BIG impact on their lives... just look at the long list of side effects they DO admit to! You want that for your children and grandchildren? There you go, do you get that? Why is it that these people are always on the payroll of big pharma who wants more wide spread use of these drugs?

Kill them while they are young, right?

Read the whole article here and PLEASE protect the children from these drugs!

This scares the daylights out of me, it really does! It is one thing to do this to unsuspecting adults, to to do it to our children is nothing short of killing any chance they have at a normal life.... EVEN the life as an obese child!
I just saw this on CNN.
Outrageous ... it's child abuse.
Very upsetting.
ACLU? Who will speak for and step in for these children?
I can't believe it .... well, sadly, yes i can.
again ... outrageous.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:42 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
If we didn't have all those video games, computer games and 300 TV channels we wouldn't even need to think about offering statin drugs to children! Parents need to get these children off of their rear ends and out riding their bikes, swimming, playing games outdoors, walking, running, playing with the dog, involved in sports, whatever.

Nancy
Yeah, they're messed up by a crazy and imbalanced culture that they have no control over and then they get drugged for dis-ease that results from this messed up culture .... whether drugs for "ADD" or high cholesterol or depression.
When i was a kid in the late 60's and early 70's a classroom of 30 usually had one (or two at the most) overweight kids in it.
Today, the number of overweight children is astonishing.
But we didn't have snack bars in the libraries, soda and candy machines at school, etc. and we ran around and played all day after school and on the weekends.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:24 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Decades ago, when in college taking Economics, the professor made a comment that stuck. In the U.S. the business of business is making money and the business of government is business. So to get some effective action on this isssue it seems to be left up to the grass roots, the people. It starts from person to person and grows from there. The people who read and participate in boards such as this are by definition more aware that the real issue is diet and lifestyle. The doctors are aware but appear to be somewhat hesitant to aggressively push the real solutions. There does seem to be a growing number of med professionals taht are becomming more active. If enough people make the effort to evaluate their own doctor to see what actions that doctor takes with the nutrition education of patients, we could get active. If that is a low priority to them, change doctors and tell them exactly why you are doing so. That could be a start. In the end, we would need massive co-operation from organizations that do not have commercial interest in perpetuating the problem. Hopefully to get Mass media (TV) education to reach the millions of millions of families who don't even give the subject a thought. Not a simple task, in fact it would be a daunting task, but it could be done. Each person could start their own action. Not simply in boards such as this where you would be in effect, preaching to the choir.

Last edited by florida.bob; 07-08-2008 at 04:34 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
I do agree that our children are leading more sedimentary lives...BUT, there are kids (and adults) who are genetically predisposed to having high levels of cholesterol. No exercise or any lifestyle modification is going to change anything. I can see parents using them as a last resort. What are they supposed to do? IF they have a child who has dangerously high cholesterol (from genetics) and there is nothing that will bring it down into a safe level...what is the other option? Just ride it out? Let their little vessels just corrode over time so they might drop dead by age 35?

I think their are pills for everything. Do I think that is a good thing?? Sure. We must (as patients) research and know all the options and risks of the meds they are recommending. As a parent, it is not a doctor or a pharm company that will be tossing the pills in my kids mouth...it will be me.

ETA...There are side effects to all meds. Just because one med is not right for *you* (a general 'you') does not make it the devil drug for other people. As long as it is being monitored the right way I am sure it could work very well.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
That's disturbing... but no more disturbing than all of the other dangerous drugs offered to people (including children) on a daily basis.... It's all about the pharma's pocket, NOT about helping people to stay healthy.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I do agree that our children are leading more sedimentary lives...BUT, there are kids (and adults) who are genetically predisposed to having high levels of cholesterol. No exercise or any lifestyle modification is going to change anything. I can see parents using them as a last resort. What are they supposed to do? IF they have a child who has dangerously high cholesterol (from genetics) and there is nothing that will bring it down into a safe level...what is the other option? Just ride it out? Let their little vessels just corrode over time so they might drop dead by age 35?

I think their are pills for everything. Do I think that is a good thing?? Sure. We must (as patients) research and know all the options and risks of the meds they are recommending. As a parent, it is not a doctor or a pharm company that will be tossing the pills in my kids mouth...it will be me.

ETA...There are side effects to all meds. Just because one med is not right for *you* (a general 'you') does not make it the devil drug for other people. As long as it is being monitored the right way I am sure it could work very well.
First of all, I CATEGORICALLY disagree with you about not being able to lower cholesterol with diet and exercise. It's simply not true. There is some evidence that an elevated cholesterol level, with other levels being normal (blood pressure, enzymes..), healthy weight, exercise, etc. is not a bad thing. So. Cholesterol medications are money makers for companies....and by giving them to kids they are just expanding their market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness