Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:06 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Bean View Post
I was shocked the other day to see advertising for a Bipolar drug on television. Can you imagine all the people thinking they have bipolar disorder and this drug will help? We have a nation of brainwashed people going to the doctor and putting in orders.
They say that Bipolar is under diagnosed in this country. I know that one of the drugs used to treat it is the same as what epileptics take, so there is something to the condition and often a person has to be on meds for life. Likewise with lithium, an older drug used to treat the condition and especially for manias. I think it's hard for the general population to understand BP, unless you have it yourself and know the havoc it can cause in one's life. I have a cousin with BP and she was charged with a felony in a manic state. She'd gone off her meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
It's sad how we've become as a society when it comes to prescription drugs.

I'm into natural healing so I personally avoid drugs whenever possible, but I'm all for someone taking medication they need to get better. Being that said, we have gone overboard. You can't turn on the TV without seeing a commercial about some new drug, go back just 10 years and it was nothing like what it is today.

Every little ache or pain and it's time to pop a pill, instead of getting to the root of the problem the medical & pharmaceutical industries are creating disorders that don't necessarily exist, but they are rather treating the symptom with medication instead of the actual problem.

It's much easier for your physician now a days to write you a prescription than it is to take some time and truly understand what might be going on, your no longer a respected patient but just a number at the doctor these days.

The good news is we have the freedom as individuals not to go down this road of turning to prescription drugs for every little thing. By all means do what you have to do if your in a position where you need medication to survive, but if your able to get to the root of your problems whether it's physical or mental you will have much better results.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Default What Big Pharma and Bigfoot have in common!

What Big Pharma and Bigfoot have in common:

• They're both based on fabricated evidence. Both Bigfoot and Big Pharma rely on utterly fictitious evidence offered up by unscrupulous people with an ulterior motive. In the case of Bigfoot, the motive is publicity. With Big Pharma, the motive is profits.....Mike Adams

Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
all part of the 'medicalization of society'
check out Peter Conrad regarding the subject

Old 08-19-2008, 06:46 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,826 times
Here's what I figure - sometime somebody decided that we were never supposed to be a little uncomfortable. Sure, if you've got something serious that causes significant life problems and medication will alleviate or reduce it, fine. But since when are we all supposed to always feel fine and dandy? Sad and blue? Take an antidepressant. Jittery legs? You've got "restless leg syndrome." Knees hurt when you get up in the morning? Take some anti-inflammatory or osteoarthritis prescription. You get the drill...any problem, we've got a pill for that.

Well, don't do it! Life ain't perfect. Sometimes it hurts...talk to your doctor and USE YOUR HEAD. If it's significant, OK, take the pills. If it's just a matter of some comfort, maybe you need to tough it out.

So, here's the personal confession stuff. I don't need any prescription medications. I'm not into alternative medicine or natural healing. I'm well over 50, have a variety of aches and pains, and should lose some weight. I don't exercise religiously, but I don't sit on my duff all the time either.

I guess I'm lucky to be able to just suck it up and get on with things. My little gizits ain't that bad. For folks who are really sick - you bet, get help, take the right pills, and live better. But have we become a nation of hypochondriacs? I think maybe so...

Just my opinion. Hope I haven't offended anyone.

Last edited by windtimber; 08-19-2008 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Hit "save" way too soon!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I think the big problem is all of a sudden, they started letting the pharmaceutical companies the ability to directly advertise their drugs on tv! this is the worst. you hear a commercial and right away, people think they have the same symptoms and need a drug. the worst part is that some doctors will just give people medicine. I am just the opposite. I would rather have a doctor tell me to quit eating or drinking something, make some lifestyle changes etc. then, if necessary take some meds. I bet if the tv commercials stopped, people would not think that there was a pill for everything!

Great point. People don't want to make lifestyle changes. They want to smoke, drink, eat crap, never exercise, and then they complain that they can't get health insurance and someone owes them something.

Primary care begins with each individual doing his or her best to be as healthy as possible. The medical field should only have to step in when something goes awry. Not treat your self-induced diseases.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
There are very few drugs that are commercially available that CURE any disease state, they merely ease the symptoms.

Doctors are no longer able to practice effectively due to the "infomercials" big pharma puts out. Patients are dictating the presription power of the doctors. It is truly a sick state.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 PM

It always gets me on the ads how often they never say WHAT the medication is for...and then list all the possible side effects!

No thanks, I'll just keep what the pill is for!
...then you need meds for the side effects...viscious cycle me thinks.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,660 times
Three problems, drug reps in docs offices too many, samples to the ones that cannot really afford the scripts are fine but a lot other stuff goes on also.

Pharmaceutical commercials, yup gotta laugh at those, dang near as bad as the medical forums on the net, commercial comes on and if they give a few symptoms of which it could probably fit anything, some folks go to thinking hmmm I better ask doc if I could have that it might help me.

Number three is steady gaining speed, I’ll call them the low lifers, go to docs (doctor shopping), make up ailments so there is no true way to confirm nor reject their claim for pain or what ever drug they’re after, they walk out with script or scripts, then sell the stuff by the bottle or pill, some claiming it’s the only way they can help pay bills is by doing this, most using gov programs that pay for the meds, well uhhh yea ok I’m sure the judge will buy that one too.

I added a fourth since it’s associated with the problem, drugs that are used for certain conditions are being written for far too many other things the drug was not manufactured nor intended for, and while were bashing the drug companies, drug companies misrepresenting or misleading in there pre FDA clinical trials.

All in all pills are becoming an everyday acceptance in our lives, for those that truly need them for their medical conditions yes they can help tremendously in ones daily living but many times for some they are clearly not needed not to mention the adverse drug interactions some can cause also, cost wise drugs have been rising in price for years which accounts for some of the increase in sales dollars, research costs are astronomical but they have been given an open door somewhat to those increases also.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:57 PM

It is sad how many patients have there little mouths open like baby birds with no clue what is going in. Soemtimes if yo are lucky, you can find a good pharmacist to talk with and they are so much more knowledgeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness