Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times

Advertisements

I take a bunch of prescriptions. Nothing addictive though. But something that I'm taking bothers me.

The doctor gave me prescription "A", but it damages kidneys. So he gave me prescription "B" to combat the ill effects of prescription "A". Even though it combats the ill effects, it does allow the good stuff to do it's job. So I take a bunch. 21 different prescriptions total. But like I say, none are narcotic nor are they addictive. Nothing for pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:59 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,820 times
I'd like to toss out all mine too. After all, the problem is the anxiety of the doctor NOT refilling, after letting me have it for a number of years, then he yanks it out from under me, esp. when its needed because numerous surgeries have not helped the hip. So, since I have to take insulin for the rest of my life, why not something for pain? The addction or dependence are NOT what scares me; its the WORRY OF NOT GETTING REFILLS! AHAHahahahaaa.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:06 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Yes, I get a kick out of it when I see a drug for restless leg syndrome or eczema or some other annoying but ultimately harmless "illness," and at the end it says "please contact your docotr if you experience liver failure, heart pain, seizures, flu, muscle weakness, incontinence, blood in the stool, stroke, shortness of breath, toenails falling off, head spinning around, blah blah blah."

Then I feel pretty sober, thinking of all of the people who take these drugs because they feel/are told that they "need" them! Yikes!
Those are some really good side effects! lol

Old 06-15-2008, 02:08 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I take a bunch of prescriptions. Nothing addictive though. But something that I'm taking bothers me.

The doctor gave me prescription "A", but it damages kidneys. So he gave me prescription "B" to combat the ill effects of prescription "A". Even though it combats the ill effects, it does allow the good stuff to do it's job. So I take a bunch. 21 different prescriptions total. But like I say, none are narcotic nor are they addictive. Nothing for pain.
You could probably benefit tremendously from this book:
"Prescription Alternatives." It lists every single medication out there, all the side effects, what they are used for, and alternatives to them. Very eye-opening book and very useful.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:10 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I think the big problem is all of a sudden, they started letting the pharmaceutical companies the ability to directly advertise their drugs on tv! this is the worst. you hear a commercial and right away, people think they have the same symptoms and need a drug. the worst part is that some doctors will just give people medicine. I am just the opposite. I would rather have a doctor tell me to quit eating or drinking something, make some lifestyle changes etc. then, if necessary take some meds. I bet if the tv commercials stopped, people would not think that there was a pill for everything!
I find the constant bombardment of drugs on TV advertisements disgusting. Everytime one comes on Im fed up with this type of legal advertisement. I do not think the TV or drug companies have any right to be advertising any drugs that has to do with a persons health. It is just another slap in the face how our medical care is jeopardized and out of control in this country. People mean nothing more than money for the drug companies, doctors, health insurance companies and any other aspects of medical care. Im not for government getting involved in all aspects of our living in this country, but I do think they need to regulate advertising drugs.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Not sure which is worse.......the drug company commercials or the pizza delivery /mcdonalds fast food commercials.....

Old 06-15-2008, 11:10 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,172,679 times
We have to chose between 296 evils displayed within every commercial you see on TV.

I'm not even talking about Infomercials that take a lot of time on TV advertising some stupid exercise belt that supposed to melt fat away from your belly.........
People believe in this type of crap??? Are Americans really THAT dumb???

My point is, if something works, it doesn't need advertising. Most of the adda pushing stuff that is just junk and doesn't sell much.

As far as drugs, people desperate for solutions to cure themselves and believe everything that commercial said, so a lot of the doctors, but those gets paid, where you, the consumer, gets screwed royally.

I still don't get it why Pepsi/Coke/McD or similar junk spend millions of dollars on advertising. C'mon, who doesn't know these guys? They can donate all the money to a good cause, instead of advertising as much as they do. Pathetic!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:31 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
ShepsMom wrote:
Are Americans really THAT dumb???

Apparently they are! Or maybe the advertisers simply love to waste money, which I seriously doubt.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:22 PM

10 posts, read 28,643 times
I was shocked the other day to see advertising for a Bipolar drug on television. Can you imagine all the people thinking they have bipolar disorder and this drug will help? We have a nation of brainwashed people going to the doctor and putting in orders.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:03 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,452,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
This is one of the problems why health care costs in this country are so high. Instead of taking charge of your own health as much as you can, it is much easier to sit in your chair, watch tv and pop pills.
There are of course people that need prescription drugs, but I wonder how many do not?
I don't know, but I would sure love to not be taking any meds. I do have asthma, so me for it's a genuine need to take them. I also have other stuff and while some might say I should go the natural route, for some conditions there is no natural route. Of course, there are things like diet and exercise that can greatly improve certain conditions. I've tried cutting down on the meds on my own without a Dr's blessing and the results have not been good. I am going to go buy some melatonin today, however, in lieu of more Lunesta. I'll give it a shot and if it works, great. I'll save myself over $100 each month. Here's crossing my fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness