Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,366 times

Advertisements

My 38 year old husband has Ankylosing Spondylitis, an autoimmune disease that causes arthritis. His condition is fairly well-controlled with medications although he feels more pain and stiffness in the winter months (we live in Milwaukee). He always feels much better when it is warm and humid. We have considered a move to the southeast to help his overall health. He also has never liked winter and now it's worse with his arthritis (he was diagnosed 2 years ago). Has anyone else with arthritis found relief after moving to a warmer climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 03:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Warm climate will definetly make a difference. That is why people on the East Coast go to Florida and those on the West Coast go to Palm Springs Ca. As for me, I had arthroscopic surgery on both knees (now retired in Baja) and on cloudy days I feel a slight pain and when the sun comes out they feel very happy. Warm weather does make a big difference. Stefhen

Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,976 times
I've found my joints get all stiff and sore in the wet and cold and seem to get much better as the weather gets warmer and drier also.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:55 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,432 times
I moved a year ago from Florida to Washington State and the rain here has made my arthritis terrible. When it rains, I seize up. I never felt this bad in Florida and I am pretty sure it is because of the warmer weather. I want to go back asap.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:02 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,211 times
What do you do when you have two OPPOSING chronic conditions, i.e. Arthritis (that needs the warm/humid) conditions, and also Asthma, which needs dry conditions? That is my problem. I hate the hot weather, it brings on an asthma attack, however, the extreme cold being inhaled brings on bronchitis & resp. distress too. So you're damned if you do....yadda yadda yadda.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:03 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
What do you do when you have two OPPOSING chronic conditions, i.e. Arthritis (that needs the warm/humid) conditions, and also Asthma, which needs dry conditions? That is my problem. I hate the hot weather, it brings on an asthma attack, however, the extreme cold being inhaled brings on bronchitis & resp. distress too. So you're damned if you do....yadda yadda yadda.
I have always been told that Arizona is the best place to be for arthritis and the climate there would be helpful for your asthma I would think.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:31 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
I found that my aches and pains got much better once we moved south. However, there are still times when the flare-ups are pretty painful. I think that what we eat also has a lot to do with inflammation so, at least for me, it's not just the climate that makes a difference.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,366 times
Thank you for the replies. Now that it's summer in Milwaukee, my husband feels much less stiffness and pain. Of course, he will likely always need medication but I can't help but think overall he will be better in a warmer climate. My husband agrees, too. I just have to ask because if you talk to his rheumatologist or the P.T.'s at his clinic they poo-poo the theory that warmer weather helps arthritis. So I'm very confused because when I talk to other people with arthritis they say the cold, damp weather makes them feel worse (and it's cold and damp here in Milwaukee about 5 -6 months of the year!) I guess doctor doesn't always know best!!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Yes, my overall aches and pains improved after moving to Charlotte. Cold is not good for inflammation.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
Thank you for the replies. Now that it's summer in Milwaukee, my husband feels much less stiffness and pain. Of course, he will likely always need medication but I can't help but think overall he will be better in a warmer climate. My husband agrees, too. I just have to ask because if you talk to his rheumatologist or the P.T.'s at his clinic they poo-poo the theory that warmer weather helps arthritis. So I'm very confused because when I talk to other people with arthritis they say the cold, damp weather makes them feel worse (and it's cold and damp here in Milwaukee about 5 -6 months of the year!) I guess doctor doesn't always know best!!
I know Milwaukee weather. Lived there for many, many years. So, I know what you are talking about. I wouldn't go back there now for anything - and not because it's not a good place to live, but because of the weather!

Cold definitely makes arthritis inflammation more painful. Just see what difference it makes when you put a warm heating pad on a painful joint. The proof is in the pudding. Even here, when it's 95 degrees outside and I'm sitting in 72-degree airconditioning, a hot pad on my aching finger joints gives wonderful relief! The good thing about moving to a warmer climate is that I notice I'm more active than I was up north, and that's year round. During the long winters up north I was as as slow as molasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness