Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:56 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times

Advertisements

Funny My mom who lives in Ireland visited us in NY recently. For the whole time she was here, she didnt suffer at all from arthritis.

Must be the damp weather.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I know Milwaukee weather. Lived there for many, many years. So, I know what you are talking about. I wouldn't go back there now for anything - and not because it's not a good place to live, but because of the weather!

Cold definitely makes arthritis inflammation more painful. Just see what difference it makes when you put a warm heating pad on a painful joint. The proof is in the pudding. Even here, when it's 95 degrees outside and I'm sitting in 72-degree airconditioning, a hot pad on my aching finger joints gives wonderful relief! The good thing about moving to a warmer climate is that I notice I'm more active than I was up north, and that's year round. During the long winters up north I was as as slow as molasses.
Thank you for your understanding! Milwaukee is a great place but the winters are crazy! I know our whole family will be much more active year round if we moved. Inactivity makes my hubby's joints even stiffer. When it gets nicer, we're constantly walking, biking, going to the park, etc. We try to embrace winter but when the temperatures are below freezing half the time, it's not safe for anyone to be outside, especially our young children.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,561 times
Default Same here in Australia

I am having shocking pain in my arthritic knee down here in cold Victoria. Warm and humis Queensland might be the place for me.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,030 times
Hey, I have ankylosing spondylitis (sp) as well as SLE, RA and FMS- I am an autoimmune nightmare! We were Military for 23 years and I suffered terribly during winters. Now that my hubby has Retired we moved to Hawaii (where I am from) and although I am not totally pain free it is significantly less than before.

How bad is his AS? My spine has completely fused and I feel as though I am breaking whenever I try ti bend or twist. I am wheelchair bound and have been since 1995. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:48 AM

332 posts, read 1,430,753 times
I would talk with your rheumatologist. I don't know about that specific disease you mentioned... but for my autoimmune condition and at least a few others, heat/humidity is definitely a trigger for a flare.

I'm not saying that cold is better... there were a few times in my life where I couldn't even take food out of the freezer with my bare hands because of the shooting pains... but the heat is DEFINITELY worse for me.

Even 20 minutes of sun/heat can lead to a week's recovery if I'm not careful... in fact, there are companies that make cooling vests specifcially for people with certain autoimmune conditions so they can stay cool.

Think of it logically... autoimmune means your body attacks itself... so cells are overactive in that sense... if you are hot, your body has to use energy to try and cool down ON TOP of the normal energy it takes you just to stay alive and that's just going to cause increased fatigue and associated problems... it seems extremes in either direction are a failure... and east coast humid HOT is way different than west coast hot... consider that before you move as well... do you want sweltering or just somewhere that doesn't get freezing?

ok, enough rambling, long answer short... ask your rheumatologist... and if they don't know, ask someone else's rheumatologist... lots of studies exist on climates/arthritis... i'm sure one is out there for your husband's specific type

be well. good luckk.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Before moving to the Southwest I had been working as a massage therapist for 6 years in Minneapolis. It had gotten to the point where I was feeling pain in my elbows, shoulders, wrists. I was beginning to think my days of doing that kind of physical taxing work were at an end.

Then I moved to Phoenix, then Las Vegas, 16 years ago, and it was like magic! I couldn't believe what a difference it made! Now I understand the praise my arthritic Aunt, who also moved to the SW from Minnesota, has for the drier climate.

But that's just my own experience, may not be the cure for everyone.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:45 PM

15 posts, read 46,079 times
I definitely find that the weather effects my arthritis. Cold and rainy days seem to be the worst for it.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
My elderly mother has very debilitating arthritis (back, hips, neck, etc.) and spinal stenosis. She lived her first 79 years in Western Pennsylvania. Five years ago my brothers and I convinced her to move to Tucson. When she first arrived, she could barely walk to the mailbox half a block from the house and she was in constant pain. Within six months, she was taking almost mile-long walks daily around the subdivision and her pain medication was reduced to OTC stuff. She benefited greatly from both the heat as well as the dryness. If it gets cold here (a couple of days a year) or rains for several days (even less often), she notices an increase in pain immediately. But being where there is heat and light almost all year has helped her tremendously. It doesn't mean the deterioration has stopped. Five years along now, she needs a cane to walk because her hips have gotten so much worse. But I really wonder if she would even be alive today had she stayed in the rain and cold given how much pain she was in and how many meds she was on. Everyone's different, but she's a shining example of the benefits of Southwest living.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:06 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
Thank you for the replies. Now that it's summer in Milwaukee, my husband feels much less stiffness and pain. Of course, he will likely always need medication but I can't help but think overall he will be better in a warmer climate. My husband agrees, too. I just have to ask because if you talk to his rheumatologist or the P.T.'s at his clinic they poo-poo the theory that warmer weather helps arthritis. So I'm very confused because when I talk to other people with arthritis they say the cold, damp weather makes them feel worse (and it's cold and damp here in Milwaukee about 5 -6 months of the year!) I guess doctor doesn't always know best!!
Could it be that your husband's doctor doesn't want to lose a patient? I.e., that you might move away. I thought it was universally understood that cold, damp weather is troublesome for arthritis.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
MD's will not always tell a patient the truth.

Have had surgery on both knees and the surgeon said I would know the weather changes...and he was CORRECT.

Decades ago had a female cat that would tell me the weather changes via her actions.

Today I'm still in a warm climate area but can feel the difference when the temp drops or a cloudy cool day etc. Just love the warm sun as does my knees. Bone against bone with NO cartilage is a bummer but based upon my past work experiences it's no wonder.

I had my experience growing up with the cold/snow back east and those that like the four seasons are welcome to it all...as for me I'll take the warm sun any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness