Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 02:25 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,472,195 times

Advertisements

https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurology/dementia/109986
Quote:
Higher olive oil intake was associated with a lower risk of dementia-related mortality, a prospective study of 90,000 healthcare professionals showed.

Eating at least 7 g of olive oil daily -- about a half tablespoon -- was tied to an adjusted 28% lower risk of dementia-related death (pooled hazard ratio [HR] 0.72, 95% CI 0.64-0.81) compared with never or rarely consuming olive oil (P for trend <0.001) over 28 years of follow-up, reported Anne-Julie Tessier, RD, PhD, of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston, and co-authors.
I believe that this is something that we already assumed because of lower Alzheimer's mortality in Italy and Greece. But it's great to finally see this come to light with clinical results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 04:10 PM

7,339 posts, read 5,226,568 times
At least two glaring weaknesses in this paper-- (a) it's another "questionaire study" about diet....notoriously inaccurate usually, but additionally here we're dealing with dementia in the pts. Do I need to explain why I have doubts about credibility here?...and (2) we all know Greeks & Italians usually follow the Med Diet style, but they are also genetically closer among themselves than, say, the Irish, Germans, Mexicans etc etc....They note in the study that certain genotypes are associated with improved risk due to improved metabolism of sugars & lipids, but then in a classic non sequitur insist it must be the diet....Dumb?

BTW-- the study also relies on death certificate data-- notoriously inaccurate (and people die WITH Alzheimer's, not due to it)....Then to further insult our intelligence, they go on to give us Info based on computer models as if it were fact....Computer models merely tell us what the programer told them to tell us.

How does this crap get published?....(Answer-- editorial bias to support positions in favor with the "in group" and their narrative.)

Old 05-07-2024, 04:14 PM

11,849 posts, read 6,202,796 times
Just no.

We get these useless studies that try to isolate one ingredient as contributing to a long and healthy life, when our food intake, nutritional intake, sleep patters, exercise, stress levels, isolation, mental health, & etc. is so overwhelmingly complicated that it just can't be measured. You would have to raise children from birth under identical conditions in every way, with half raised on olive oil and half not.

This is just correlation.

We already know that olive oil is generally not unhealthful for you, so it is on the good list. Dimentia mortality? No, just no. We have no clue. Seriously, no clue.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:16 PM

11,849 posts, read 6,202,796 times
Japan has miniscule rates of dimentia mortality. How much olive oil do they consume?

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 05-07-2024 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-07-2024, 05:05 PM

33,587 posts, read 37,225,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Japan has miniscule rates of dimentia mortality. How much olive oil do they consume?
In the market year 2023, the consumption volume of olive oil in Japan amounted to around 60 thousand metric tons.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:51 PM

23,464 posts, read 19,135,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
At least two glaring weaknesses in this paper-- (a) it's another "questionaire study" about diet....notoriously inaccurate usually, but additionally here we're dealing with dementia in the pts. Do I need to explain why I have doubts about credibility here?...and (2) we all know Greeks & Italians usually follow the Med Diet style, but they are also genetically closer among themselves than, say, the Irish, Germans, Mexicans etc etc....They note in the study that certain genotypes are associated with improved risk due to improved metabolism of sugars & lipids, but then in a classic non sequitur insist it must be the diet....Dumb?

BTW-- the study also relies on death certificate data-- notoriously inaccurate (and people die WITH Alzheimer's, not due to it)....Then to further insult our intelligence, they go on to give us Info based on computer models as if it were fact....Computer models merely tell us what the programer told them to tell us.

How does this crap get published?....(Answer-- editorial bias to support positions in favor with the "in group" and their narrative.)
Yep! I read the link but didn't know quite where to start questioning it. Not only does the study rely on possibly the most unreliable of subjects (dementia patients) but doesn't seem to account for any factors other than diet.

As for "dementia mortality" c'mon...I suspect the bigger and more frightening issue surrounding dementia is having to live with it, not dying at the end of it.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:57 AM

9,918 posts, read 7,809,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yep! I read the link but didn't know quite where to start questioning it. Not only does the study rely on possibly the most unreliable of subjects (dementia patients) but doesn't seem to account for any factors other than diet.

As for "dementia mortality" c'mon...I suspect the bigger and more frightening issue surrounding dementia is having to live with it, not dying at the end of it.
Agree. Also they mentioned olive oil was better than margarine, well, yes, how many decades ago did they say how unhealthy margarine was? And honestly, my first thought was that our brains do need healthy fats so olive oil would be good, along with all the others.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:24 AM

11,186 posts, read 7,241,090 times
I'd look into the quality and content of olive oil to see that much of what is sold isn't really the high quality that most are assuming. True / quality olive oil has a different taste, and is more expensive, than the common stuff found in stores. Dementia or not, it's always good to look closer at what we are buying and consuming. Even though it's often touted as the healthiest oil, it might also be the most abused in processing and marketing.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:58 PM

20,828 posts, read 8,656,148 times
Italians eat a lot of pasta. That must be the secret to longevity.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:54 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,522,193 times
Cause and effect can be difficult to determine. It may not be the olive oil but the close family ties or the wine consumption...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness