Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 03:27 PM

1,125 posts, read 894,761 times

Advertisements

Not getting the info you need….find a better Dr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
jyx jyx started this thread

73 posts, read 68,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I did the "mismatched" and can only rave about how well it worked. I am looking at the screen on my laptop as we speak and the type is crystal clear thanks to my left eye. Thanks to my right eye I can see the leaves on trees in the distance. I am more than safe to drive at age 78. My bifocals are on the nightstand in the bedroom.

The bifocals fine tune my vision but I would be fine without them.

I had an excellent surgeon who nailed it on selecting lenses.
Okay, but my point was that I'm hoping for specifics. What numerical mis-match did you choose? What is your idea or the doctor's? How did you decided exactly what vision for what eye? Is there a name for this option? Did you also have a particular kind of lens?

Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoferp View Post
I went to a surgeon that my regular eye doctor recommended and said that this surgeon did a great job of cataract surgery on both of her parents. I was very nearsighted and now see great at a distance without glasses, but have to wear readers (which I knew in advance). After the surgeon checked my eyes, she suggested a regular distance lens for my left eye and a toric lens for my right eye due to astigmatism. My DH just had his cataract surgeries by the same surgeon. He thought he wanted cataract lenses close up, but after discussing it, decided on distance lenses. Then he thought he might want one lens for distance and one for close up. In order to get that choice, he would be provided with a contact lens to use in one of his eyes to see if distance/close up would work for him. He decided to go with distance lenses after all and has 20/20 distance vision in both eyes. I keep readers where I tend to need them (as well as in my purse and car), but my DH prefers to wear half glasses all the time. Each person's situation is different which is why you are having trouble getting specific information. My suggestion is to ask people you know who they recommend and then go with what that doctor suggests.
No, I don't think the issue is that everyone is different, because I'm not asking what I should do. I'm just asking what the options are. The people I know seems to have unthinkingly gone to the first doctor recommended and did no research, no shopping around, so they aren't people whose judgment I trust.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You might find an answer here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1857188/

In my experience with clear lenses, the biggest change was the restored brightness and contrast of things. I characterize it like I had been seeing thru a dirty window for the last 20 or more years. The change over that time so gradual you don't notice. When they removed the patches, I was amazed at the difference.
That's how I described my eyesight to a friend who asked.

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have to ask:
With all the questions on here about what happens during various procedures don't your doctors explain them?

When Mrs. NBP had her cataract surgery the doctor explained every step and the why.
When I had prostate biopsies the urologist explained every step and the why.
When I had stents put in after a heart attack the cardiologist explained every step and the reason to Ms. NBP (I was somewhat out of it at that point although the risks were explained to me and what and how was going to be done).
Yes, but I'd like to be informed before I go in. That will help me ask better questions. That will also alert me to whether there are some options the doctor doesn't offer. That will also alert me to whether he's not explaining well.

Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

6,150 posts, read 3,855,684 times
Quote:
I did the "mismatched" and can only rave about how well it worked. I am looking at the screen on my laptop as we speak and the type is crystal clear thanks to my left eye. Thanks to my right eye I can see the leaves on trees in the distance. I am more than safe to drive at age 78. My bifocals are on the nightstand in the bedroom.

The bifocals fine tune my vision but I would be fine without them.

I had an excellent surgeon who nailed it on selecting lenses.

Thanks, Don. I'm considering something similar. I had my right eye done about 8 years ago with a "distance" lens inserted after the cataract was removed. It's not perfect, but close to being perfect.

Now, I'm considering having my left eye done and having some kind of multi-focal lens inserted that will be good for medium to distance or perhaps a total range from close to far inserted after the cataract is removed. I won't mind if I need to wear glasses to read small print on something up close (say within 20 inches of my eyes).

Do you recall the name of the lens that you had inserted?

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
❤️❤️❤️❤️ my multi-focal lenses.
Brand? Type?

Thanks.

Old Today, 01:54 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,620,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyx View Post
Okay, but my point was that I'm hoping for specifics. What numerical mis-match did you choose? What is your idea or the doctor's? How did you decided exactly what vision for what eye? Is there a name for this option? Did you also have a particular kind of lens?

It was my idea and the doctor approved. The lenses are ordinary except for astigmatism correction.

The numbers would depend on your individual eyes and need for correction. My left eye is corrected for optimum vision at about a 14" away. My right eye is corrected for distance -- in other words infinity.

If your doctor can't work with the near/far request and come up with the numbers for your eyes you need another doctor.

This is called monovision.

What is interesting is that despite my left eye having totally the wrong lens for distance the left eye still contributes somewhat to distance vision such as driving. Likewise the right still contributes somewhat to close-up vision.

Old Today, 02:21 PM

Quote:
It was my idea and the doctor approved. The lenses are ordinary except for astigmatism correction.

The numbers would depend on your individual eyes and need for correction. My left eye is corrected for optimum vision at about a 14" away. My right eye is corrected for distance -- in other words infinity.

If your doctor can't work with the near/far request and come up with the numbers for your eyes you need another doctor.

What is interesting is that despite my left eye having totally the wrong lens for distance the left eye still contributes somewhat to distance vision such as driving. Likewise the right still contributes somewhat to close-up vision.

Thanks. I'm considering something similar, but not quite as much of a mis-match. My right eye was done years ago with the "distance" lens. I'm thinking I will have the left eye done and get a Tecnis Symfony EDOF lens which is good for distance and also intermediate (about 20 inches to 42"). For the real close stuff, say 20 inches and closer, I'll have to wear glasses to read the small print.

The reason I'm thinking of doing it this way rather than your way (monovision), is that most of the vision situations that are important or critical to me are at arms length or greater, and in that situation, I'd like the benefit of having two good eyes on it in order to see clearer and also to better judge distance.

For the occasions where I need to focus on something closer than 20 inches, I'll put on a pair of glasses. Not a big deal, IMO. It's not like I won't be able to see "anything" inside of 20 inches. It's just that inside of 20", the images may be a bit blurry.

Yes, ideally having perfect vision from a few inches from your face out to infinity would be great but considering that we have only two eyes and need both of them to focus clearly in order to judge distance reasonably accurately, then I think that I'll opt for the EDOF lenses which will give me great vision with both eyes from about 20 inches out to infinity. At least, that's the plan.

Old Today, 04:56 PM

3,107 posts, read 1,574,578 times
Quote:

what about if you are prone to motion sickness? doesnt one eye for far and one eye for near make you sick? even thinking about it makes me feel queasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness