Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 11:34 AM

79 posts, read 62,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Iron deficiency anemia has a broad differential, and it frequently has nothing to do with a blood disorder. You guys are putting the cart before the horse. The correct first step is a clinical evaluation with a primary care physician. The next step could be anything ranging from taking an iron supplement to getting a colonoscopy to everything in between. Saying this is a blood disorder is tantamount to making a diagnosis, and I don't see how anyone here is in a position to do that.

OP, it's very possible this is related to your period. Women have iron deficiencies more frequently than men for this reason. But see your doctor and get off the internet.
Waiting on my dr. Hasn’t responded. I noticed the CBC wasn’t reviewed by the dr from 2 days ago yet but a Ferritin and iron test were added which isn’t reviewed either. So not sure if the lab just adds those tests if the CBC is low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 11:40 AM

3,330 posts, read 9,205,170 times
Quote:
Iron deficiency anemia has a broad differential, and it frequently has nothing to do with a blood disorder. You guys are putting the cart before the horse. The correct first step is a clinical evaluation with a primary care physician. The next step could be anything ranging from taking an iron supplement to getting a colonoscopy to everything in between. Saying this is a blood disorder is tantamount to making a diagnosis, and I don't see how anyone here is in a position to do that.

OP, it's very possible this is related to your period. Women have iron deficiencies more frequently than men for this reason. But see your doctor and get off the internet.
I’m post menopausal, baby hotel removed in 1994. Yet I have iron deficiency anemia. And I have a way of knowing when it’s time to see my hematologist, my RLS symptoms get bad. My RLS is secondary not primary, and iron infusions make them go away.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I’m post menopausal, baby hotel removed in 1994. Yet I have iron deficiency anemia. And I have a way of knowing when it’s time to see my hematologist, my RLS symptoms get bad. My RLS is secondary not primary, and iron infusions make them go away.
I have burning, pins and needles, numbness, and stiffness in my feet. I thought it was neuropathy. (I’ve been working on getting my blood sugar down). But the last few days they haven’t been bothering me as much since I’ve been focused on the anemic thing.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:04 PM

1,162 posts, read 874,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
Waiting on my dr. Hasn’t responded. I noticed the CBC wasn’t reviewed by the dr from 2 days ago yet but a Ferritin and iron test were added which isn’t reviewed either. So not sure if the lab just adds those tests if the CBC is low?
No, there is no reflexing on such tests. The lab can not just add on tests as that would be fraud. Some screening tests will have the the term "reflex testing" which is meant to have secondary tests added on if the initial screen is positive. Those tests are limited and again should state in the name reflex testing if positive.

It sounds as though he saw the CBC results and called the lab to add on the tests and it appears he didn't want to comment on it until all testing was done.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:42 PM

Dr respond. Kind of annoying. So no other tests? No recommendations for a Hematologist? No getting a glucose meter to keep track of my blood sugar?

“I added on the iron tests, and it does appear to be low - I would recommend over the counter iron supplements to take every other day.

The sugars are quite high so I would recommend checking again in 3 months. I have ordered this and the iron levels for that time. I'd recommend a follow up at that time to review too.”

Old 05-03-2024, 01:55 PM

5,961 posts, read 4,223,987 times
Quote:
Dr respond. Kind of annoying. So no other tests? No recommendations for a Hematologist? No getting a glucose meter to keep track of my blood sugar?

“I added on the iron tests, and it does appear to be low - I would recommend over the counter iron supplements to take every other day.

The sugars are quite high so I would recommend checking again in 3 months. I have ordered this and the iron levels for that time. I'd recommend a follow up at that time to review too.”
I'd consider getting a second opinion or at least pushing for an in-office appointment to discuss. There are some high-consequence items in the differential that you don't want to have overlooked. At minimum, push to have another appointment with your doctor and express concern about throwing iron supplements at a deficiency if you don't know the cause of the deficiency. Your doctor may have perfectly good reasoning. But I'd at least want another appointment to discuss.

A hematologist treats blood disorders. You have a low level of iron in your blood, but that's not the same thing as a blood disorder.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:01 PM

1,162 posts, read 874,947 times
Quote:

Hard to comment further because of the lack of information. When was the last colonoscopy if ever? There is concern that people are getting younger and younger coming down with colon cancer to the point where they want to lower the age of when to start screening.

Treating the iron deficiency doesn't address the cause of the deficiency and that part is still unclear to us. I think the doctor is assuming based on the medical history he knows what it is. Since the iron studies were not originally ordered then one has to assume he wasn't expecting anemia or the low iron. The decreasing hemoglobin levels would have alerted a delta check to look into causes such as iron deficiency and conditions attributing to iron loss.

It does appear that he is a minimalist in his approach. That can be good at times and sometimes bad. It has to be taken on a case by case basis. If you are unhappy of the approach then I suggest to all that you get a second opinion especially in a setting of a chronic condition.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:18 PM

3,330 posts, read 9,205,170 times
Quote:
I'd consider getting a second opinion or at least pushing for an in-office appointment to discuss. There are some high-consequence items in the differential that you don't want to have overlooked. At minimum, push to have another appointment with your doctor and express concern about throwing iron supplements at a deficiency if you don't know the cause of the deficiency. Your doctor may have perfectly good reasoning. But I'd at least want another appointment to discuss.

A hematologist treats blood disorders. You have a low level of iron in your blood, but that's not the same thing as a blood disorder.
A good hematologist will look for reasons not just treat without finding the cause.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Hard to comment further because of the lack of information. When was the last colonoscopy if ever? There is concern that people are getting younger and younger coming down with colon cancer to the point where they want to lower the age of when to start screening.

Treating the iron deficiency doesn't address the cause of the deficiency and that part is still unclear to us. I think the doctor is assuming based on the medical history he knows what it is. Since the iron studies were not originally ordered then one has to assume he wasn't expecting anemia or the low iron. The decreasing hemoglobin levels would have alerted a delta check to look into causes such as iron deficiency and conditions attributing to iron loss.

It does appear that he is a minimalist in his approach. That can be good at times and sometimes bad. It has to be taken on a case by case basis. If you are unhappy of the approach then I suggest to all that you get a second opinion especially in a setting of a chronic condition.
It’s a woman and she is young. 30 maybe and a D.O. not an MD. Not sure if that makes a difference.
No history that I know would contribute except menstruation. Haven’t had any colonoscopies yet. But why wasn’t I ever anemic in the past? Things were trending down in 2022 and the Dr then didn’t do anything so I switched to this one. It’s strange since they are part of a very reputable Hospital in a large suburb of a major city. You think they would hire the best.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:21 PM

5,961 posts, read 4,223,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
A good hematologist will look for reasons not just treat without finding the cause.
Any good doctor will do this. It's very possible OP needs to see a gastroenterologist or possibly an enodcrinologist or maybe just take a supplement....we have no idea. I'm not sure how you've diagnosed OP as having a blood disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness