Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 09:29 PM

76 posts, read 58,042 times

Advertisements

Which test indicates small red blood cells?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 09:48 PM

1,160 posts, read 869,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
Which test indicates small red blood cells?
Iron deficiency anemia is associated with a microcytic (small red blood cells) hypochromic (pale red blood cells) anemia.

The MCV is the mean cell volume. As you gain more into the positive iron balance then the MCV will rise. With iron supplement treatment the goal is to have iron stores to acceptable levels within 6 months so it does take some time. Response to iron can be measured within days with the reticulocyte count (young red blood cells) and to see if their hemoglobin content within the cell is getting better with reticulated hemoglobin levels (CHr or Ret-He).

Old 05-03-2024, 06:03 AM

3,314 posts, read 9,197,292 times
Quote:
They did more tests without getting back to me.

Ferritin - 1.8
Normal range: 7.3 - 270.7 ng/mL

Iron - 23
Normal range: 50 - 170 mcg/dL

TIBC - 436
Normal range: 250 - 450 mcg/dL

Iron % Saturation - 5
Normal range: 20 - 50 %

I walked for a half hour and did Zumba today.
Your ferritin and Iron Sat% are in the toilet. Most can’t function at that level. Get to a hematologist ASAP.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:53 AM

5,881 posts, read 4,197,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Your ferritin and Iron Sat% are in the toilet. Most can’t function at that level. Get to a hematologist ASAP.
It's not clear this is a blood disorder. I think OP should see their regular doctor as scheduled first.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:01 AM

76 posts, read 58,042 times
What blood disorder could it be besides iron deficiency anemia. Am I dying? My dr hasn’t responded yet. I mean I walked the dog a half hour and did Zumba yesterday. I a started a new job and am alert and learned it fast. Maybe it’s from getting my period more often for the last year in perimenopause? One day I bleed for 2 weeks (not very heavy) but that was a year ago. I do have a large fibroid that I’ve had for years but it hasn’t caused me to bleed abnormally except for that one time last year (but that might have been hormonal).

Old 05-03-2024, 07:18 AM

3,314 posts, read 9,197,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It's not clear this is a blood disorder. I think OP should see their regular doctor as scheduled first.
I see a hematologist when my ferritin gets below 50. Or my Iron sat% goes below normal. It’s called iron deficiency anemia.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:22 AM

7,291 posts, read 5,173,859 times
As others have pointed out, your tests are consistent with iron deficiency anemia caused by blood loss....You don't report an obvious large loss of blood, so we can assume a slower, maybe continuous or recurrent small loss of blood over time...

The fact that you don't seem to be suffering the fatigue or exercise intolerance often seen with anemia suggests the blood loss and anemia has occurred over a long period of time giving you time to adapt.

Menstrual blood losses are considered the culprit when other blood losses have been excluded....Urinary blood loss rarely causes Fe defic anemia... It's usually the GI tract to blame-- anything from esphogeal hernia, gastritis, diverticulosis or inflammatory conditions to cancer....You can't tell until you look-- Endoscopy is called for.

Most causes are benign, so no need to panic. Restoring Fe is easy with oral pills. Just make sure you find the cause for proper definitive treatment.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:37 AM

18,542 posts, read 18,789,988 times
Can someone explain a Q tip test to me..as my husband is to do one and send it away.... hes in his late sixties.. and has had radiotherapy.. hormone therapy recently..had polyps taken away three times.... takes loads of pills for diabetes,, and Rheumatiod arthritis.... do certain pills cause anemia or some of the treatments hes been having...

Old 05-03-2024, 10:36 AM

1,160 posts, read 869,522 times
Quote:
What blood disorder could it be besides iron deficiency anemia. Am I dying? My dr hasn’t responded yet. I mean I walked the dog a half hour and did Zumba yesterday. I a started a new job and am alert and learned it fast. Maybe it’s from getting my period more often for the last year in perimenopause? One day I bleed for 2 weeks (not very heavy) but that was a year ago. I do have a large fibroid that I’ve had for years but it hasn’t caused me to bleed abnormally except for that one time last year (but that might have been hormonal).
  • One is still in the diagnostic phase and after that is completed then one can start the treatment phase. The cause of the iron deficiency is yet to be determined. The hematologist specializes in primary hematological disorders. If a bleeding diathesis i(tendency) s involved then a hematologist would get involved. Von Willibrand Disease is a common genetically inherited condition that can cause excessive bleeding. I would assume coagulation studies would be carried out after history taking. If and when the iron deficiency is treated and the person does not respond to the iron infusions then refractive states would be followed up by the hematologist. The response to iron is tested as mentioned.A hematologist also would be called in for microcytc hypochromic anemias of undetermined cause if for example the iron studies had been normal or high. That would have brought up the possibility of thalassemia or refractive sideroblastic anemia. So far there is no indication it isn't simply iron deficiency. If there is a road block down the road then a hematologist would be called in. Right now one wants to hear from a gynecologist and gastroenterologist.
  • A person can become severely anemic over time as mentioned and a person can adopt physiologically to such low hemoglobin levels vs somebody who has an acute blood loss of two pints of blood who may die. Their body has. not had time to adopt physiologically. I always put it in high fast mode when blood transfusions were ordered for severe anemia with normal red blood cells indicative of blood loss anemia vs those with small hypochromic anemias indicative of iron deficiency. No hurry on those with IDA while those others are typically given uncrossmatched emergency release of blood.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:28 AM

5,881 posts, read 4,197,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I see a hematologist when my ferritin gets below 50. Or my Iron sat% goes below normal. It’s called iron deficiency anemia.
Quote:

Iron deficiency anemia has a broad differential, and it frequently has nothing to do with a blood disorder. You guys are putting the cart before the horse. The correct first step is a clinical evaluation with a primary care physician. The next step could be anything ranging from taking an iron supplement to getting a colonoscopy to everything in between. Saying this is a blood disorder is tantamount to making a diagnosis, and I don't see how anyone here is in a position to do that.

OP, it's very possible this is related to your period. Women have iron deficiencies more frequently than men for this reason. But see your doctor and get off the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness