Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 04:34 AM

15,010 posts, read 12,221,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
I had no symptoms, it was discovered on a routine blood test.
I think that's pretty common, the lab results effected being the BUN, creatinine levels and the estimated glomerular filtrate rate ( eGFR), with the first two being elevated and the last being low.

My husband was also recently diagnosed with stage 3 CKD. What got his attention, and that of his doctor, was an ongoing rise in his blood pressure. His blood pressure had always been within normal limits, ie, pretty decent for an old man. But the levels rose to around 190-200 over 100 or so at the highest, and he worked with his PCP to try different combinations of meds to bring the blood pressure under control. His blood pressure seemed stubbornly high, but has been much better with him following the advice of his kidney doctor to cut back on the sodium, cut out the omeperazole ( bad for the kidneys) and watching the intake of protein. He has lost some weight too, and is working on meditation to help the blood pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 09:23 AM

743 posts, read 480,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My husband was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 chronic kidney disease, and had been advised in the past to cut way back on the use of NSAIDS due to the harmful effect of these on his kidneys. He had also been taking prescription strength omeparazole, a proton pump inhibitor ( PPI) for at least 20 years for his GERD. At his first visit to the kidney doctor ( referred by his PCP), he was instructed to stop taking the PPI as it is also very bad for the kidneys. The kidney doctor instructed him to switch to famotidine ( generic for Pepsid AC) which he has done.

As I understand it, acetominophen ( tylenol) is ok as long as it's not taken in doses beyond the recommended daily limits. The person has to watch that this isn't exceeded by taking a number of products that all contain acetominophen, for example taking Extra Strength Tylenol ( 500 mg/tabs) at maximum daily doses, along with a cold or sinus remedy also containing acetominophen. The package inserts for tylenol products also cautions against heavy use in association with alcohol consumption, as both of these can have adverse additive effects on the liver over time. If a person already has some liver damage, lesser amounts of acetominophen could be harmful. How much acetominophen that could be used safely by someone under these circumstances would be a discussion between the individual and his/her health care providers.
Yes, that’s all true.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:26 AM

[quote=Travelassie;66711964]My husband was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 chronic kidney disease, and had been advised in the past to cut way back on the use of NSAIDS due to the harmful effect of these on his kidneys. He had also been taking prescription strength omeparazole, a proton pump inhibitor ( PPI) for at least 20 years for his GERD. At his first visit to the kidney doctor ( referred by his PCP), he was instructed to stop taking the PPI as it is also very bad for the kidneys. The kidney doctor instructed him to switch to famotidine ( generic for Pepsid AC) which he has done.

As I understand it, acetominophen ( tylenol) is ok as long as it's not taken in doses beyond the recommended daily limits. The person has to watch that this isn't exceeded by taking a number of products that all contain acetominophen, for example taking Extra Strength Tylenol ( 500 mg/tabs) at maximum daily doses, along with a cold or sinus remedy also containing acetominophen. The package inserts for tylenol products also cautions against heavy use in association with alcohol consumption, as both of these can have adverse additive effects on the liver over time. If a person already has some liver damage, lesser amounts of acetominophen could be harmful. How much acetominophen that could be used safely by someone under these circumstances would be a discussion between the individual and his/her health care providers.[

Sorry, started making a dupicate post.

Last edited by Iluvbeagles; 05-07-2024 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Started to make a duplicate post.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My husband was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 chronic kidney disease, and had been advised in the past to cut way back on the use of NSAIDS due to the harmful effect of these on his kidneys. He had also been taking prescription strength omeparazole, a proton pump inhibitor ( PPI) for at least 20 years for his GERD. At his first visit to the kidney doctor ( referred by his PCP), he was instructed to stop taking the PPI as it is also very bad for the kidneys. The kidney doctor instructed him to switch to famotidine ( generic for Pepsid AC) which he has done.

As I understand it, acetominophen ( tylenol) is ok as long as it's not taken in doses beyond the recommended daily limits. The person has to watch that this isn't exceeded by taking a number of products that all contain acetominophen, for example taking Extra Strength Tylenol ( 500 mg/tabs) at maximum daily doses, along with a cold or sinus remedy also containing acetominophen. The package inserts for tylenol products also cautions against heavy use in association with alcohol consumption, as both of these can have adverse additive effects on the liver over time. If a person already has some liver damage, lesser amounts of acetominophen could be harmful. How much acetominophen that could be used safely by someone under these circumstances would be a discussion between the individual and his/her health care providers.
That’s right.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:28 PM

1,048 posts, read 579,820 times
My kidneys are at stage 3 as well, and the meds mentioned are meds I am not supposed to touch w/ a 10 foot pole. I wouldn't take any of these NSAIDS, the risks are not worth it. There are better prescription options available if your doctor will prescribe them.

I took Prolosec for many years to counter my GERD. One thing they discovered is that it cuts down on the stomach acid, so it allows our esophagus to heal. When I stopped taking the Prilosec (I think there were health warnings on it, I don't remember what now) my esophagus healed itself and for the last 15 years or so I have been able to eat anything at anytime and have zero trouble w/ GERD now! Before, I really had to watch what I ate due to it, now it's like I never had it. Pretty cool.

Old Today, 08:22 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,367,858 times
I used to take Tums or Prilosec to control acid reflux.

Then I discovered the root cause of my problem. I'm allergic to wheat.

So I stopped eating wheat. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness