Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 09:38 PM

12,002 posts, read 6,285,396 times

Advertisements

The nice thing is that we have a massive medical experiment going on with all of the current guinea pigs willing to use high quantities of powerful pot, for the betterment of medical science.

We are going to have some valuable hard data taken from this widespread, ongoing experiment in 20 or 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 04:32 AM

19,801 posts, read 20,393,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post

When one of the founders of this alleged publication above is listed as "a failed neuroscientist"!!! Hmmm, I am a wee bit cautious about it, LOL!
Lol

Old 05-08-2024, 06:59 AM

51,246 posts, read 36,914,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The nice thing is that we have a massive medical experiment going on with all of the current guinea pigs willing to use high quantities of powerful pot, for the betterment of medical science.

We are going to have some valuable hard data taken from this widespread, ongoing experiment in 20 or 30 years.

People have been smoking pot for many many decades now. In the 70's, you could buy bongs in any mall.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:07 AM

5,741 posts, read 3,245,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
People have been smoking pot for many many decades now. In the 70's, you could buy bongs in any mall.
Yeah, but now people walk in to legal dispensaries and flash their medical MJ cards. Seems like it'd be real easy to gather data now.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:13 AM

51,246 posts, read 36,914,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Yeah, but now people walk in to legal dispensaries and flash their medical MJ cards. Seems like it'd be real easy to gather data now.

How would people buying legal weed enable them to gather data about them? Even if they had permission to access their medical records, they'd have to know what their baseline is, whether they do any other drugs or drink, how much they smoke, how old they were when they started smoking, and a 1000 other variables.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:57 PM

5,343 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Epigenetics is a relatively new area of study. We're really just in the information gathering stage, and we don't know what the info means.....DNA is subject to chemical changes (often by adding a methyl group to the sugar backbone of the DNA) which may serve to activate or de-activate that gene..,Apparently this paper found that dope users have more of those changes than non-users....(? which is cause, which is effect?)

A big review of cannabis use was published in NEJM 10 or 15 y/a. They found little evidence that casual use caused any problems at all....While there may be no physical harm, I personally wonder about the mental health of those who feel compelled to use the stuff. It's such a pity that some people have to resort to use of chemicals to induce a feeling of happiness.
In case you missed it, the article provided a link to the actual study:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-023-02106-y

It looks like a decent longitudinal study to me. Not great, but adequate.

The genetic component didn't surprise me at all. It has been known for a while that smokers who carry faulty genes related to methylation are more likely to develop cancer. Even those who don't smoke but carry the "faulty" genes are still at risk, but I assume the risk is less if one does not inhale toxins.

I recall that a group of scientists were taking samples of blood from pregnant WTC survivors and planned to follow them and their babies to see what, if any, changes to the babies' genome were a result of the mothers' exposure to toxins and/or trauma. It was the first time I had heard of epigenetics.

Old 05-18-2024, 05:01 AM

6,414 posts, read 6,320,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Nixon was really pushing to find correlation with “marijuana bad” but they never found the “hard core” evidence they wanted. The bad they found was a poor impact on memory and some correlation between THC and schizophrenia which is super tenuous since so many other factors are involved.

Yet psychiatrists commonly state ridiculous stuff like “smoking marijuana can lead to developing schizophrenia.”

Most psychiatrists in my small sample are part of the 51% who have never tried cannabis and bring a lot of bias to the discussion.

Old 05-18-2024, 07:52 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,271,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
....It was the first time I had heard of epigenetics.
In molecular genetics, the term refers to molecular changes in DNA that doesn't change the base pair sequence, but the term is also used to describe the interaction of one gene locus with other gene loci and the effect that has on the "fitness landscape" in evolutionary biology.

Changes in DNA can only be passed on to the next generation if they occur in the germ cells (sperm/ova)....Survivors of the WW II atom bombs, for instance, passed on remarkably few genetic problems to their kids-- mainy because they were exposed to so much radiation that they became sterile.

Old 05-20-2024, 12:23 PM

11,141 posts, read 6,728,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Epigenetics is a relatively new area of study. We're really just in the information gathering stage, and we don't know what the info means.....DNA is subject to chemical changes (often by adding a methyl group to the sugar backbone of the DNA) which may serve to activate or de-activate that gene..,Apparently this paper found that dope users have more of those changes than non-users....(? which is cause, which is effect?)

A big review of cannabis use was published in NEJM 10 or 15 y/a. They found little evidence that casual use caused any problems at all....While there may be no physical harm, I personally wonder about the mental health of those who feel compelled to use the stuff. It's such a pity that some people have to resort to use of chemicals to induce a feeling of happiness.
More a feeling of relaxation than happiness. But we just want a good, uninterrupted night's sleep which a nightly brownie provides. Don't really get "high" just relaxed. We don't smoke it. We sure prefer it to sleep meds--- Don't "pity" us, lol. I'm grateful!

Old 05-20-2024, 12:38 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,027,158 times
Study reveals that scientists cause cancer in laboratory rats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness