Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:31 PM

25,595 posts, read 17,323,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Evidence to support this statement?

The covid pandemic skewed the stats upward the last few years. But the drop in cardiovascular deaths since the 1950s was dramatic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art....8%20to%2026.5.
It was hard for me to parse out all the information in that report.
Life is very different today, as compared to the 50s and 60s. We smoke less, weigh more, exercise less, play with more recreational drugs and take oodles of prescribed drugs, which are intended to make our hearts healthier.

At least one of the oft-quoted heart expert organizations has allowed General Mills to claim its product, Cheerios, is "Heart Friendly". That's an absolute crock, but is nothing new, since there was a claim in the 50s that Wonder Bread built strong bones, and another that doctors who smoked preferred Kool.
Now we're hearing the whole cholesterol story my be a myth - or maybe not, since well respected organizations are still warning everyone that our LDL may not be low enough.

I have made my choice and have gone all the way back to cave-man dieting, eschewing everything processed and sticking to the stuff which causes me to eat less and have more energy - meat, eggs, cheese, and some vegetables.

I recognize that sugar is addictive and there are sugar addicts everywhere. Is there some alphabet organization who tells parent to beware the sugar addiction?.... There should be.
Could be, there is just too much money to be made in the food industry and no organization with a nine-digit budget is willing to take the food industry head-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:57 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,106,326 times
Main culprit is sugar -sweets, bread/pasta, potatoes, seed oils(fried food, vegetable oils), ketchup/bbq sauce

Keto diet uses oils for sugar - high fat/protein

Try to keep fasting blood sugar in the low 80s

Carb/sugar cravings do go away after 2-3 weeks as your stomach bacteria shifts to crave oils instead of sugar.

Old Today, 07:59 PM

290 posts, read 212,611 times
Quote:
Evidence to support this statement?

The covid pandemic skewed the stats upward the last few years. But the drop in cardiovascular deaths since the 1950s was dramatic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art....8%20to%2026.5.
Deaths may be reduced due to better meds, but there has been no reduction in the diseases. Perhaps you should read the book, which is heavily footnoted?

Old Today, 09:10 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
Deaths may be reduced due to better meds, but there has been no reduction in the diseases. Perhaps you should read the book, which is heavily footnoted?
There will be more cases because there is a larger population. What I responded to was your statement, "71 years later, very little improvement has been seen in hypertension, atherosclerosis and heart health."

That is not true.

The premise of the book has not been subjected to any formal study to support the author's claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It was hard for me to parse out all the information in that report.
Life is very different today, as compared to the 50s and 60s. We smoke less, weigh more, exercise less, play with more recreational drugs and take oodles of prescribed drugs, which are intended to make our hearts healthier.

At least one of the oft-quoted heart expert organizations has allowed General Mills to claim its product, Cheerios, is "Heart Friendly". That's an absolute crock, but is nothing new, since there was a claim in the 50s that Wonder Bread built strong bones, and another that doctors who smoked preferred Kool.
Now we're hearing the whole cholesterol story my be a myth - or maybe not, since well respected organizations are still warning everyone that our LDL may not be low enough.

I have made my choice and have gone all the way back to cave-man dieting, eschewing everything processed and sticking to the stuff which causes me to eat less and have more energy - meat, eggs, cheese, and some vegetables.

I recognize that sugar is addictive and there are sugar addicts everywhere. Is there some alphabet organization who tells parent to beware the sugar addiction?.... There should be.
Could be, there is just too much money to be made in the food industry and no organization with a nine-digit budget is willing to take the food industry head-on.
See my response above. The claim that there has been no progress in 71 years in hypertension, atherosclerosis, and heart health is false.

Old Today, 09:48 PM

290 posts, read 212,611 times
Quote:

The premise of the book has not been subjected to any formal study to support the author's
That's funny, the author says the same thing about most government and NGO studies!

Clearly, you and I are at an impasse. You won't believe me and you believe the government. I won't believe you and do believe that our government regularly and flagrantly lies to us. About everything from the food pyramid to Covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness