Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2024, 10:03 AM

672 posts, read 484,258 times

Advertisements

Just found out I have a uterine fibroid that will need to be removed. I have never had many major health issues. I know this isn’t a huge life threatening issue but I’m nervous and just wish friends were more supportive. I’m a single mom so don’t have a husband as a support system and can be lonely.

Im mostly nervous for my next period as last month was a nightmare. Cramps for 8 days and heavy bleeding with clots the size of my hand. Cramps at one point were like labor contractions. I had gone to the ER for the bleeding and was dismissed as just an issue with my birth control pill but I knew this was not normal.

I messaged a few of my friends. One saying “yay just fibroid !”. Other one just ignored me completely. Family is obviously supportive but it’s always nice to have friends to go to as well.

Did you feel supported by your friends ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 03:34 PM

1,969 posts, read 935,637 times
I'm sorry you don't feel supported by your friends.

Yes I think I am well supported my friends, but I only go to them for major surgeries or illnesses. People have crap to deal with on their own, and I know that, so I don't want to overload them with anything when they have way more stuff on their plates than I do.

For instance, I just had a skin cancer excision from my chest at my neckline. My husband went with me so that I could take a Xanax and not have to drive, so he was the only one I told. That was on Friday and it's been pure hell since then. It was larger than I expected, so now I can't turn my head from side to side without pain and I've since gotten weird horrible headaches on the back of my neck at the base of my skull that I'm sure is related to the stitches pulling. I have had a hard time sleeping, so last night I finally took a Xanax, and that helped a lot. I can't drive, so I'm working from home.

I haven't told anyone, because there's nothing anyone can do really. I ordered bandages, tape, and Aquaphor for the stitches and I just take my Tylenol. Today I had some Excedrin delivered. My husband works full-time too and delivery is free for me from Walmart+ so I just order whatever I need. He offered, but he would mess up getting exactly what I needed, so it's not a big deal. He brought me my favorite snacks since I'd be home all day and I appreciated that.

That said, I had fibroids too and had enough of them that I asked for a hysterectomy. It took a long time to be approved through insurance, but it was the best thing I ever did.

Not sure how old you are, though. I was 50 at the time.

How are you getting to the surgery? Do you have anyone to take you and get your meds for you?

Old 04-24-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I'm sorry you don't feel supported by your friends.

Yes I think I am well supported my friends, but I only go to them for major surgeries or illnesses. People have crap to deal with on their own, and I know that, so I don't want to overload them with anything when they have way more stuff on their plates than I do.

For instance, I just had a skin cancer excision from my chest at my neckline. My husband went with me so that I could take a Xanax and not have to drive, so he was the only one I told. That was on Friday and it's been pure hell since then. It was larger than I expected, so now I can't turn my head from side to side without pain and I've since gotten weird horrible headaches on the back of my neck at the base of my skull that I'm sure is related to the stitches pulling. I have had a hard time sleeping, so last night I finally took a Xanax, and that helped a lot. I can't drive, so I'm working from home.

I haven't told anyone, because there's nothing anyone can do really. I ordered bandages, tape, and Aquaphor for the stitches and I just take my Tylenol. Today I had some Excedrin delivered. My husband works full-time too and delivery is free for me from Walmart+ so I just order whatever I need. He offered, but he would mess up getting exactly what I needed, so it's not a big deal. He brought me my favorite snacks since I'd be home all day and I appreciated that.

That said, I had fibroids too and had enough of them that I asked for a hysterectomy. It took a long time to be approved through insurance, but it was the best thing I ever did.

Not sure how old you are, though. I was 50 at the time.

How are you getting to the surgery? Do you have anyone to take you and get your meds for you?
Oh no sorry to hear about your skin cancer! Hopefully heals fast. Yea I tbink for me I would do the same if I had a husband or someone to confide in. I guess just feels lonely in that aspect. I have told my ex husband who has been supportive.

Did they offer you any other procedures besides hysterectomy? I am 38 and don’t plan on having any more kids. My doctor hasn’t even called me Yet. Just read results from labs. But I was reading online about the UFE procedure which sounds like a good alternative to surgery. I’m sure my parents would do whatever they could to help me so may have to take their help on that.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Did they offer you any other procedures besides hysterectomy?...I was reading online about the UFE procedure which sounds like a good alternative to surgery.

I had one laparascopic removal but they kept coming back. Like yours, my period was ridiculous. I didn't want to keep having surgeries over and over so I told them I wanted a hysterectomy. I opted for a total. It was also laparascopic. I do have to take hormones but it was worth it not to ever have a period again!

Your doc will tell you the best procedure for your fibroid. I think insurance-wise you have to at least have the one removed and then if it grows back you can opt for something more radical.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I had one laparascopic removal but they kept coming back. Like yours, my period was ridiculous. I didn't want to keep having surgeries over and over so I told them I wanted a hysterectomy. I opted for a total. It was also laparascopic. I do have to take hormones but it was worth it not to ever have a period again!

Your doc will tell you the best procedure for your fibroid. I think insurance-wise you have to at least have the one removed and then if it grows back you can opt for something more radical.
Yea will see what they say. I’m thinking I will probably have to take hormones too. My estrogen levels are at post menopausal levels. Dreading my next period tho. Hopefully can get it sorted soon!

Old 04-24-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Yea will see what they say. I’m thinking I will probably have to take hormones too. My estrogen levels are at post menopausal levels. Dreading my next period tho. Hopefully can get it sorted soon!

Wishing you the best! Keep us updated. We can be your friends; most of us have been through it.

Old 04-24-2024, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Wishing you the best! Keep us updated. We can be your friends; most of us have been through it.
Thank you for the support ! Wishing you a speedy recovery as well!

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

20,945 posts, read 28,464,010 times
I had a Fibroid removed from my ovary and a D&C at the same time. It was out patient surgery and I was home same day. I am 53 now but this was around 2009 (I think) They put me out and I was a little groggy after. Only missed one day of work.
I had a heavy period for a bit too but no cramps prior to the surgery. I don't have kids. I have been fine since and I am in Menopause. My husband took me. I think the procedure lasted 30 minutes. Good luck to you. The only people you can count on is yourself. Friends tend to be more concerned about their own lives than they are about others. I know what that's like.

Old Today, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I had a Fibroid removed from my ovary and a D&C at the same time. It was out patient surgery and I was home same day. I am 53 now but this was around 2009 (I think) They put me out and I was a little groggy after. Only missed one day of work.
I had a heavy period for a bit too but no cramps prior to the surgery. I don't have kids. I have been fine since and I am in Menopause. My husband took me. I think the procedure lasted 30 minutes. Good luck to you. The only people you can count on is yourself. Friends tend to be more concerned about their own lives than they are about others. I know what that's like.
Good to know it was a quick recovery! Still waiting to figure out what the next steps are.

Yea it really is a shame. I know if my friends have sometbing going on I try to be supportive! Like at least ask questions asking what next steps are etc. literally didn’t even care to ask that. Just makes me not want to get involved in their lives either if this is just a one sided friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness