Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 11:54 AM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Yeah, funny they take BP outside of their own guidelines. But the bureaucracy's gotta do what the bureaucracy's gotta do.

For some years now I've had reverse doctor office syndrome blood pressure readings. Significantly lower at the doc's office. Don't ask me why.
Interesting that you mention that.

Generally, when I go to the doctor I will have white coat hypertension. UNLESS the reason I am going to the doctor that day is high blood pressure...and then I will have better blood pressure. Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 11:55 AM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ok, maybe I'm just lucky but I always get put in a room by the gal that takes my temp and weight. I sit there for a about ten minutes and they come take my blood pressure and ask why I'm there, what meds I'm currently taking. Then they let me chill another ten minutes or so while I wait for the doc to come in and do his thing. (My office visits are always a great time to get a little reading in!)
That's another similar thing. Every time I go to almost any doctor they weigh me. And I am badly overweight. Has any of the doctors ever said one thing about my weight? Just once...one of my cardiologists said I definitely needed to lose weight...and he was more overweight than I!

Old 04-25-2024, 12:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's another similar thing. Every time I go to almost any doctor they weigh me. And I am badly overweight. Has any of the doctors ever said one thing about my weight? Just once...one of my cardiologists said I definitely needed to lose weight...and he was more overweight than I!

Well at least that will be close to accurate. No big deal, but when I am wearing steel-toed boots and have pockets full of stuff I sometimes ask them to deduct 5 lbs and I have never got any pushback for it.

They give you credit for knowing your weight. Telling a person they need to lose weight rarely serves a purpose.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, she was doing her job the way your doctor told her to do it. There was no reason to be belligerant to her.
Belligerant? I wouldn't say so kept a calm voice but was firm.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Last time I was at my doctors for a prescription refill, the nurse took my BP doing everything the wrong way. First, took it as soon as I sat down, put it over my clothing, (even when I suggested that would make the reading inaccurate) asked me questions the entire time, and of course used one of those machines that I hate, that automatically makes my BP go up anyway!

The funny thing was, waiting in the room for the doc, there was a chart on the wall, listing the correct way to take BP......the exact opposite of all the things the nurse had just done!
Indeed. The proper way to take blood pressure is hardly a secret.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:19 PM

8,775 posts, read 5,068,013 times
Quote:
Maybe your cardiologist has a healthy heart!

Old 04-25-2024, 02:42 PM

1,389 posts, read 728,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
They were trying to find out just how much pain you were in, based on what would have been your elevated BP. Some people go to the doc for pain pills, and if their BP isn't elevated, they know the patient isn't really in pain. Not a stupid ask at all.
I didn't go to my Dr for pain pills nor was experiencing pain at the time. So, not looking for pain pills. I have seen this dr for 20yrs. she knows I'm not a pain pill person. I went to have bld work to see what was going on.

So, no, asking about a bp reading when I was in the middle of this horrible episode was not reasonable or realistic. It was like filler talk. That's all.

Old 04-25-2024, 03:12 PM

50,832 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I didn't go to my Dr for pain pills nor was experiencing pain at the time. So, not looking for pain pills. I have seen this dr for 20yrs. she knows I'm not a pain pill person. I went to have bld work to see what was going on.

So, no, asking about a bp reading when I was in the middle of this horrible episode was not reasonable or realistic. It was like filler talk. That's all.
It’s still a required part of the job. You should’ve told the doctor your feelings rather than the person just doing the job in the way she’s been told to do it. It’s kind of like being a jerk to telemarketers, when they’re just doing their job.

Old 04-25-2024, 03:16 PM

1,389 posts, read 728,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s still a required part of the job. You should’ve told the doctor your feelings rather than the person just doing the job in the way she’s been told to do it. It’s kind of like being a jerk to telemarketers, when they’re just doing their job.
Omg, I was talking to the Dr. NOT the nurse who initially met me. Geez. THE DR.

You seem to be the defender of all who have to take BP's.

Old 04-25-2024, 03:30 PM

23,321 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Interesting that you mention that.

Generally, when I go to the doctor I will have white coat hypertension. UNLESS the reason I am going to the doctor that day is high blood pressure...and then I will have better blood pressure. Weird.
Hmm, if you are concerned about your BP and you decide to see your doctor to get checked out, you've actually taken control of the situation. Taking action/control is empowering. An empowered person who has reached a decision instead of worrying about some unknown tends to be more relaxed. Which in turn can lower your BP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness