Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That is not mandated protocol. That was a suggestion from someone who's tried it after hearing about it from others.
You're the one who said it was protocol, though. I was responding to the discussion about "How to 'cheat' a BP reading," and you asked why following protocol was cheating. Doesn't that imply that you think the tips on how to "cheat" a BP reading were really just protocol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

11,065 posts, read 6,881,999 times
I did not say that the other person's suggestion was protocol. See my edited post above. The 5 to 10 minute wait has been standard protocol since 2013 but few follow it.

I asked why the person's suggestion was cheating. Read it again.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
I did not say that the other person's suggestion was protocol. See my edited post above. The 5 to 10 minute wait has been standard protocol since 2013 but few follow it.

I asked why the person's suggestion was cheating. Read it again.
I never said it was cheating. I put "cheat" in quotation marks because the other person had it in quotation marks.

How does "Since when is following protocol cheating?" not imply that the other person's post was actually just protocol?

We can run in circles as long as you'd like.

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

11,065 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Nope. I'm done and glad of it.

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Pointless to take my blood pressure when the result will be wildly inaccurate. I have no sooner sat on the exam table and you want to take it. The only way to have a meaningful blood pressure result is to have a consistent standard for the status of the patient and that would be totally relaxed. Being recently active could be any level from mildly elevated to still frustrated by rush hour traffic and you barely made it to the appointment on time and just walked briskly down a long hallway.

Nurse was real pissed off and at first said she had to take it -- it was required. I refused. When the cardiologist came in I told him my BP reading from the day before relaxed at home. He was fine with that.

The nurse came back at the end of the visit for a different reason after the doctor had left and I cheerfully told her "Oh by the way, my blood pressure is fine." "Oh what was it?" "117/69 when I took it at home yesterday as I reported to Dr. Nyugen." No comment.

It rubs me the wrong way to have a bunch of bogus information in my medical records even if nobody but me cares.

Sad that the test is almost universally done incorrectly despite the proper protocol -- 5 minute minimum to relax, not even talking, both feet on the floor, arm at or above heart level -- is hardly a secret but convenience wins over accuracy.

One time a dentist's nurse took my blood pressure not following protocol and with a cheesy wrist device: 172/120. I would be on the way to E.R except I knew better than to believe it.

IDK for sure, but it sounds like you didn't explain your feelings to the nurse in a nice way, and in fact seemed happy to "give it to her" the way you made the remark about it being fine. She's just trying to do her job the way your doctor told her to do it when he hired her.

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

1,914 posts, read 897,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
IDK for sure, but it sounds like you didn't explain your feelings to the nurse in a nice way, and in fact seemed happy to "give it to her" the way you made the remark about it being fine. She's just trying to do her job the way your doctor told her to do it when he hired her.

The way almost every doctor's office does it as well. I bet they love seeing certain names on their patient list in the morning

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

1,383 posts, read 725,411 times
I had a really bad gut issue a year ago, I believe it was Norovirus. It was bad, horrible stomach pain, etc., and I had a fleeting thought about going to the ER but didn't. When I went to my Dr days later, she asked what my BP was. I looked at her and said, "my bp, why would I take my blood pressure? I was so agitated and in pain, it wouldn't be accurate" I thought, I may need a new Dr. Really stupid question.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
That's a great idea, and I will try it. I wonder if it would still work after walking down a long hallway. Even a short interval like that can influence a reading.
I believe exercise can raise the pressure, but relaxation afterward drops it, so you don't want to, say, run upstairs to the office, then immediately have your BP tested.

Frankly, most of the "cheating" is distraction and calming techniques you can use anytime you're feeling stressed. They are intended to counter the stress of going to the doctor and being rushed around like they do. Deep breaths help, too.

It would hardly be effective if your blood pressure was high due to disease.

I put cheating on quotation marks because it isn't really cheating!

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Yes, but for most people, sitting in the waiting room for ten minutes, taking a short walk back to the office, sitting for another ten minutes and then getting the test is a very close approximation of "chilled out" blood pressure.
That is about all I need to get something reasonable. But they don't do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
If someone needs more than that, their "chilled out" blood pressure is a less accurate indicator of their normal daily blood pressure than it is for most.

White coat syndrome is another thing, but as I mentioned above, it comes with its own issues as well. I have white coat syndrome myself, and can go from 135/80 to 118/78 as the effect wears off. At my house in the mornings, I'm typically around the latter number. But I'm probably spending more of my day at elevated levels than someone without white coat syndrome.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I don't have much patience with something be done incorrectly simply for convenience. Knowing how to take blood pressure correctly is hardly advanced medicine. They know better. Yes the doctor is also at fault but at least he respects my wish not to have bogus readings in my chart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness