Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 02:30 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,444,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Oh boy howdy does my blood pressure spike when someone tries to take my blood pressure when I don't want them to! Why, I can feel it spiking just THINKING about it! OMG someone get me an ambulance I'm going into cardiac arrest.

OR MAYBE...

"Sure thing Nurse." followed 15 minutes later by "Oh hi Doctor, can we do my blood pressure again please? It was a little high when the nurse took it when I walked in the door, and that's a bit disappointing since I have low blood pressure."

If you just ask the doctor to take it again, chances are, he will. Especially if it was on the high side when the nurse took it when you walked in.
The above sounds good, but what result is put in your record? The "nurse" records the results she obtains. If the doctor takes the results later, chances are he doesn't o back and change the chart. You need to make sure they follow through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 03:15 PM

20,205 posts, read 9,108,695 times
not my cross to die on. If I need 5 minutes to "return to normal" after 20 foot walk into the examination room, I figure I got bigger problems than my BP.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:16 PM

33,576 posts, read 37,212,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
not my cross to die on. If I need 5 minutes to "return to normal" after 20 foot walk into the examination room, I figure I got bigger problems than my BP.
Perhaps not. Research suggests that blood pressure should return to resting levels within 6 minutes after exercise. And experts recommend waiting at least 30 minutes after exercise before taking your blood pressure.

https://www.goodrx.com/well-being/mo...after-exercise

Old 04-29-2024, 06:56 PM

5,961 posts, read 4,223,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Perhaps not. Research suggests that blood pressure should return to resting levels within 6 minutes after exercise. And experts recommend waiting at least 30 minutes after exercise before taking your blood pressure.

https://www.goodrx.com/well-being/mo...after-exercise
To continue the other user's point, wouldn't the implication here be that if a 20 foot walk to the exam room constitutes "exercise" one probably has a problem?

Old 04-29-2024, 09:06 PM

2,173 posts, read 3,611,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
To continue the other user's point, wouldn't the implication here be that if a 20 foot walk to the exam room constitutes "exercise" one probably has a problem?
You should be completely still. I have even seen where you shouldn't talk.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:39 PM

5,961 posts, read 4,223,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
You should be completely still. I have even seen where you shouldn't talk.
Well, yes, but that's while it's being taken. My point was about the twenty foot walk not constituting "exercise."

Old 04-29-2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This is true.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:02 PM

956 posts, read 794,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Pointless to take my blood pressure when the result will be wildly inaccurate. I have no sooner sat on the exam table and you want to take it. The only way to have a meaningful blood pressure result is to have a consistent standard for the status of the patient and that would be totally relaxed. Being recently active could be any level from mildly elevated to still frustrated by rush hour traffic and you barely made it to the appointment on time and just walked briskly down a long hallway.

Nurse was real pissed off and at first said she had to take it -- it was required. I refused. When the cardiologist came in I told him my BP reading from the day before relaxed at home. He was fine with that.

The nurse came back at the end of the visit for a different reason after the doctor had left and I cheerfully told her "Oh by the way, my blood pressure is fine." "Oh what was it?" "117/69 when I took it at home yesterday as I reported to Dr. Nyugen." No comment.

It rubs me the wrong way to have a bunch of bogus information in my medical records even if nobody but me cares.

Sad that the test is almost universally done incorrectly despite the proper protocol -- 5 minute minimum to relax, not even talking, both feet on the floor, arm at or above heart level -- is hardly a secret but convenience wins over accuracy.

One time a dentist's nurse took my blood pressure not following protocol and with a cheesy wrist device: 172/120. I would be on the way to E.R except I knew better than to believe it.
If you're an exerciser, you can try this trick that works for me, to defeat white coat syndrome. Get on the stationary bike or stair climber aggressively for at least 40 minutes, trying to exhaust yourself, before heading out to see the doc. That should be enough time to dilate the arteries. Then shower and head off to the doc. You're BP should remain low for over two hours (or at least mine does). At home I will then get readings that are below the normal range (98/59). After vigorous exercise, in the doc's office, my BP is usually about 115/70. Otherwise, I'll get readings in the doc's office of 135 or 145 over 90. I only get readings that high at home if I'm really stressed about something.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:40 PM

3,097 posts, read 1,564,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
The above sounds good, but what result is put in your record? The "nurse" records the results she obtains. If the doctor takes the results later, chances are he doesn't o back and change the chart. You need to make sure they follow through.
as someone whose BP can vary all over the place, why would I care whats in the record? most of the time its inaccurate anyway.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
as someone whose BP can vary all over the place, why would I care whats in the record? most of the time its inaccurate anyway.
Here is why you should care. High blood pressure is a risk factor for more than heart disease. Learn what other health conditions high blood pressure can cause. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/art-20045868
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness