Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 11:48 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,602,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This sounded needlessly snotty to me, like he wanted to "get her" or show her up or something, when she was just doing the job the way she was trained. And she wouldn't have been (IMO) "pissed off" if he had politely declined and explained his reasoning. It just sounds like he was rude about it.

"The nurse came back at the end of the visit for a different reason after the doctor had left and I cheerfully told her "Oh by the way, my blood pressure is fine." "Oh what was it?" "117/69 when I took it at home yesterday as I reported to Dr. Nyugen." No comment."

You are quoting me at the end of the visit. You know nothing about the exact words exchanged at the beginning of the visit. At the beginning of the visit I calmly said "I would rather not have my blood pressure taken now. This is not a good time." She said that she had to take it I said I had to refuse.

Frankly I think it is worse than rude to fill a medical chart with bogus information just for convenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 07:03 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,328,113 times
The nurse always takes my bp on arrival (it's always way too high), and then my doctor personally takes it twice during my exam (it's always back in range).

There really is nothing wrong with refusing the BP take at the outset of the visit. The OP isn't breaking the law.
I refuse to be weighed every visit, as well.

The patient is the customer.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:29 PM

1,394 posts, read 731,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m defending someone just doing the job they’re being told to do and were hired to do. It just seems like low pickings, easy pickings, vs just telling the doctor you prefer not to have your B/P tested on arrival. She doesn’t get to decide what to do before the doc sees you, he does. She’s following a checklist given her by the doctor when he hired and trained her.
omg.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:36 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Taking my BP at my doctors office too soon is why I have my own monitor. At home I take my reading after I relax for five minutes, then take two more reading five minutes apart.

My readings at the doc's office were always high. My readings at home average 122/75.

Old 04-27-2024, 05:01 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,162,851 times
This thread is an interesting read to which I'd like to add two comments.

Of course, a high BP reading that is obtained at the onset of the appt should be double or triple checked later in the visit. But I can see where this high reading has some clinical diagnostic value bc it has the potential to tell the clinician how high the pts BP goes when not "at rest"

And (imho) pts should use caution in considering themselves "customers." Ideally, our health care should be approached as a team.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:40 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,602,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post

Of course, a high BP reading that is obtained at the onset of the appt should be double or triple checked later in the visit. But I can see where this high reading has some clinical diagnostic value bc it has the potential to tell the clinician how high the pts BP goes when not "at rest"

And (imho) pts should use caution in considering themselves "customers." Ideally, our health care should be approached as a team.
BP reading "not at rest" is a huge range. Could be car didn't want to start, had to get a jump, running late in horrible traffic and school just called and your kid is at the principal's office. Or it could be listened to favorite music and pretty mellow while driving, but BP up somewhat because they marched you straight to the room and immediately pulled out the cuff.

It would seem very difficult if not impossible to come up with a consistent "not at rest" standard.

FWIW in the past when I let them take a reading immediately no matter what it was nobody ever offered to take it again, I would have to ask. This was even at a dentist where a cheesy wrist device said something like 170/120.

Old 04-27-2024, 12:26 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,328,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post

I agree with the bolded, and stand by my statements. All too often patients are not given the consideration they deserve in the medical equation.

Old 04-27-2024, 01:02 PM

22,284 posts, read 19,267,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Pointless to take my blood pressure when the result will be wildly inaccurate. I have no sooner sat on the exam table and you want to take it. The only way to have a meaningful blood pressure result is to have a consistent standard for the status of the patient and that would be totally relaxed. Being recently active could be any level from mildly elevated to still frustrated by rush hour traffic and you barely made it to the appointment on time and just walked briskly down a long hallway.

Nurse was real pissed off and at first said she had to take it -- it was required. I refused. When the cardiologist came in I told him my BP reading from the day before relaxed at home. He was fine with that.

The nurse came back at the end of the visit for a different reason after the doctor had left and I cheerfully told her "Oh by the way, my blood pressure is fine." "Oh what was it?" "117/69 when I took it at home yesterday as I reported to Dr. Nyugen." No comment.

It rubs me the wrong way to have a bunch of bogus information in my medical records even if nobody but me cares.

Sad that the test is almost universally done incorrectly despite the proper protocol -- 5 minute minimum to relax, not even talking, both feet on the floor, arm at or above heart level -- is hardly a secret but convenience wins over accuracy.

One time a dentist's nurse took my blood pressure not following protocol and with a cheesy wrist device: 172/120. I would be on the way to E.R except I knew better than to believe it.

the remedy is to get a cuff, take your blood pressure at home, keep a chart, and take that with you to doctor appointments. That's what I do with my PCP. he is more interested in seeing the chart i keep, than with what shows up on day of appointment.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:46 PM

70 posts, read 184,728 times
[quote=Don in Austin;66669931]Pointless to take my blood pressure when the result will be wildly inaccurate. I have no sooner sat on the exam table and you want to take it.

Yes!! exactly this!! You have captured my same frustration.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:09 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the remedy is to get a cuff, take your blood pressure at home, keep a chart, and take that with you to doctor appointments. That's what I do with my PCP. he is more interested in seeing the chart i keep, than with what shows up on day of appointment.
My husband does this. Docs are thrilled to see it.

Nobody seems to care about my mostly normal bp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness