Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 03:51 PM

6,348 posts, read 2,903,321 times

Advertisements

https://www.newsendip.com/in-norway-...-nasal-sprays/
Quote:
As per the Norwegian Institute of Public Health (FHI), the sales of over-the-counter nasal sprays have exhibited a consistent upward trend in recent years. Between 2018 and 2022, there has been a staggering 36 percent surge in sales. In 2022 alone, the total number of packs sold for mucosa-decongestant nasal spray reached a notable 8.8 million.

That's a great way to increase sales - get people addicted. have you ever known anyone who got addicted to nasal spray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 05:15 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
https://www.newsendip.com/in-norway-...-nasal-sprays/

That's a great way to increase sales - get people addicted. have you ever known anyone who got addicted to nasal spray?
Well, I wouldn't say that I got addicted, but I definitely overused it several years ago when I had a cold. My nose was just so stuffed up that I kept using the nasal spray multiple times a day and you're not supposed to do that. My body got used to the spray and I had to keep using it using it for a few weeks or my nose would stay stuffed up. I sucked up one night and didn't use the nasal spray... it was tough to sleep that night, but everything turned back to normal the next day..

Old 04-22-2024, 05:25 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
They are addictive and it's happened to me a couple times in my life. About a 10 years ago I found out they were making my blood pressure high so broke the habit for good. I use Simply Saline if I feel the need and just live with a partially stuffy nose.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:01 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
I don't know that you'd call it addictive, but there are some that work very well the first few times you use them, but after that you build up a tolerance to them and they become less effective. After that you have to use them more and more frequently to get the desired effects. Afrin nasal spray is one of those that comes to mind.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:04 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,020,627 times
Is "Norwegian nasal spray" code for something? What are they putting in that spray to have caused such an uptick? LOL

I've never used nasal spray in my life, and I've had plenty of colds with a stuffy nose. It passes in a few days. The thought of sniffing liquid into my nose has always freaked me out.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:40 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know that you'd call it addictive, but there are some that work very well the first few times you use them, but after that you build up a tolerance to them and they become less effective. After that you have to use them more and more frequently to get the desired effects. Afrin nasal spray is one of those that comes to mind.
Technically and pharmaceutically, not addictive. But your mucosa rebound after a short period of time. Result is the same, you need to keep using it.

I've gotten many patients off Afrin and other nasal sprays for years. Buy a large bottle of nasal saline solution and a half ounce or one ounce bottle of your spray. Start with a 50/50 mix for a week. Then mix both bottles completely and use for a week. You are off the original spray.

I can't find the old article, but Norway has a real congestion issue due to the very cold very dry winters and overuse of theses sprays is very common.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:39 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Nasal spray addiction is not a true “addiction,” (cravings or physical withdrawal), but it can lead to tissue damage inside the nose. This can result in swelling and long-term stuffiness that leads to further use and overuse of the spray.
For example, here in the US, many people are addicted to Afrin. Afrin is also sold over the counter and therefore is hard to estimate how many people are using it non-stop.
Frequent use of oxymetazoline can cause rhinitis and the symptoms are worse when the medication is stopped. So they continuously use Afrin to avoid these worsening symptoms, and this is often described as “Afrin addiction”.
Millions suffer from addiction to OTC nasal sprays in the US.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/27323#1

Last edited by elnina; 04-22-2024 at 10:48 PM..

Old 04-23-2024, 07:52 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
I used to used it a lot. I would have one spray on my night stand and one in my pocket book. I would use it 3 -4 times a day. Now I use it maybe a couple of times in the winter if I have a cold. Since using a humidifier for the last 3 months I have never felt better. Have not actually used nasal spray in 1 year. If I have to use it it's at night when my nose is very stuffed or I can't sleep.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:09 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
I became "addicted" to it too. However, it isn't an addiction, it's a habituation, in response to the rebound effect when the nasal tissues become swollen again.

The feeling of your nasal passages are closing, is frightening and very uncomfortable. That's what happens when you have used it for a week or more for a cold or allergy.

I use it occasionally now.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 6,882,745 times
Where does a neti pot come into all of this?

I believe those things are good and the people in India seem to use them quite a bit. Basically, it is a slightly saline solution which you use to rinse out the nasal passages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness