Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2024, 01:03 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times

Advertisements

Great, like we don't have enough to worry about! I remember radon was all the talk back when my parents & I moved to the city in the late 80s where we live now (& have been for the last 36 yrs, I believe). Then, there was a good 10, 15 years where I never heard any more about radon.

Is radon high in your area?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HksYYVRbic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 03:06 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
This is news? Long term exposure to high levels of radon has long been associated with increased risk of developing lung disease: cancer, emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis, chronic interstitial pneumonia. First warnings about radon began in the sixties.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:14 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Radon has for a long time been the second-leading cause of lung cancer. It's a distant second, but this is certainly not new knowledge.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:11 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
It's no secret that radiation can cause cancer, but this Radon in your Basement thing is an excellent example of pesudo-science being used to fool naive politicians and public.

To begin with, the data suggesting people with radon levels higher than some arbitrary level in the basement are st greater risk for lung cancer is only supported by cherry picked studies. Ten per cent of lung cancer occurs in nonsmokers-- the same rate as it occurs in "radon exposed" people.

Secondly, if you notice, there are no radon mines. Radon exists only fleetingly in Nature as a gas emitted by Uranium as it deays on its way to becoming lead (Pb)....,So, if you have Radon, you have Uranium....Radon decays by emitting alpha radiation-- very weak, can be stopped by a sheet of paper....Uranium, otoh, decays by emitting alpha, beta and gamma radiation. It takes three feet of concrete to stop gamma radiation.

I'd worry about the uranium. You can't ventilate gamma rays away.

Old Today, 12:22 PM

9,889 posts, read 4,653,413 times
As with over exposure to any substance, chemical, toxin etc in a home the key is to air out the house when ever possible by simply opening the windows as often as possible. Keep the concentrations as low as possible.

People love their artificial closed off environments better than fresh air/open windows. Then several decade ago they started pushing the ceiling fan thing in a closed environment which does nothing but swish old air around AND could pull fumes, gases etc from a basement into the living areas.

Found opening the windows works to lower radon levels. We had direct neighbors who never opened the windows that had to get radon remediation to sell their house. We had the basement windows or a window open as often as possible. Passed a radon test no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness