Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 03:13 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,688,445 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone follows the suggestion of breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince--and dinner like a pauper?

Just saw Dr. Michael Greger post about a study that demonstrated we burn more calories eating this way--even if the foods eaten are the same caloric number and just the order of eating them is changed.

Sounds interesting...

I wonder if you get hungry if you eat a light dinner--like soup & a salad?

Love to hear your take on this and if you've tried this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 05:23 PM

734 posts, read 472,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Wondering if anyone follows the suggestion of breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince--and dinner like a pauper?

Just saw Dr. Michael Greger post about a study that demonstrated we burn more calories eating this way--even if the foods eaten are the same caloric number and just the order of eating them is changed.

Sounds interesting...

All I know is my mother used to say that Lucille Ball used to eat like this; don’t know how true this really was though, but she was very thin. Also, in many Balkan countries they eat a small breakfast, a large lunch (like an American supper), and a light supper.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:46 PM

6,049 posts, read 3,766,409 times
Quote:

Sounds interesting...

That doesn't sound very logical to me from a PRACTICAL standpoint. Generally speaking, most people do their work and physical activity during the day and then rest during the evening hours. If I eat a large breakfast "like a king" as you suggest, then I'll be lethargic and unwilling to do much in the way of physical activity until the meal has settled for a couple of hours.

It's much better, IMO, to have a light to moderate breakfast so that I can begin work soon thereafter, and then save the large feast of a meal to evening time when I'll have time to lounge around and be lethargic while I'm digesting the feast.

Besides, if I have just a light snack-like meal for the evening meal, I'll be hungry again in a couple of hours and likely raiding the 'fridge for something to eat to tide me over 'til the next morning.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:07 PM

2,047 posts, read 861,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
That doesn't sound very logical to me from a PRACTICAL standpoint. Generally speaking, most people do their work and physical activity during the day and then rest during the evening hours. If I eat a large breakfast "like a king" as you suggest, then I'll be lethargic and unwilling to do much in the way of physical activity until the meal has settled for a couple of hours.

It's much better, IMO, to have a light to moderate breakfast so that I can begin work soon thereafter, and then save the large feast of a meal to evening time when I'll have time to lounge around and be lethargic while I'm digesting the feast.

Besides, if I have just a light snack-like meal for the evening meal, I'll be hungry again in a couple of hours and likely raiding the 'fridge for something to eat to tide me over 'til the next morning.

Late night eating is what causes most people to gain weight. But here’s the kind of ironic thing about it. If you go to bed hungry, usually you won’t wake up hungry. If you eat a huge meal before you go to sleep, you’ll wake up starving. Your stomach stretches out and you’ll feel hungry if you eat a big meal before sleep the next morning.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:38 AM

22,667 posts, read 24,635,434 times
I mix-up the size of my meals, not really following any certain pattern, seems to work fine.

I do keep an eye on my overall caloric-intake, but try not to get too restrictive about the size of meals beyond that.

I may eat a small breakfast then two larger meals. Or I may eat a large breakfast, a medium lunch then a small dinner. Really just depends on what I am eating that day.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I mix-up the size of my meals, not really following any certain pattern, seems to work fine.

I do keep an eye on my overall caloric-intake, but try not to get too restrictive about the size of meals beyond that.

I may eat a small breakfast then two larger meals. Or I may eat a large breakfast, a medium lunch then a small dinner. Really just depends on what I am eating that day.
Yep, much the same with us...but I think I will try a bit harder to keep to a smaller dinner--soup & salad has a lot of appeal. I like making soups--just made a celery/potato soup that was filling and hearty. Lots of fiber and fluid helps decrease our appetites.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:21 AM

6,049 posts, read 3,766,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
Late night eating is what causes most people to gain weight. But here’s the kind of ironic thing about it. If you go to bed hungry, usually you won’t wake up hungry. If you eat a huge meal before you go to sleep, you’ll wake up starving. Your stomach stretches out and you’ll feel hungry if you eat a big meal before sleep the next morning.
That's why I eat a good/sizeable meal at "dinner time". I'll have 4 or 5 hours to digest it before bedtime, but typically won't be hungry at bedtime. I think that late evening eating is more a habit than anything else. Been there, done that, gave it up about 40 years ago.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:17 PM

35,128 posts, read 17,087,061 times
Quote:

Sounds interesting...

Sounds like good advice to me, if I could get my wife to stop making dinners, or wouldn't be insulted if I ate it in the morning.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Sounds like good advice to me, if I could get my wife to stop making dinners, or wouldn't be insulted if I ate it in the morning.
Maybe your wife would want to join your kingly breakfast? And become a Queen of the morning meal? Could be fun to switch things up...

Old 04-22-2024, 02:26 PM

37,649 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:

Sounds interesting...

If I eat a regular lunch, I don't eat dinner. I might have some crackers or something else very light. Soup alone is enough for me. OR a salad. Never both. I have never been able to eat the amount of food that others seem to. It's just too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness