Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 01:58 PM

35,096 posts, read 31,339,345 times

Advertisements

I have very severe sleep apnea. Supine AHI of 123 and 98 overall. I'm 5'7 and about 240, but I had the same symptoms when I was a teenager/early college in the 180-190 lb. range. I did weigh 265 at one point, lost that over the past two years on CPAP, but can't tell a difference in apnea. A 12.5 pressure on APAP setting usually keeps my AHI under 2.

I was a serious weightlifter for years, and have a short neck 17" around. I was evaluated by a neurologist that specializes in sleep medicine. My tongue is a bit too big for my mouth. I have a very narrow airway. Family history of apnea. Severe allergies at times. I had a septoplasty years ago and now my nostrils rarely work together, so I generally breathe through my mouth.

There could possibly be some surgeries that might help, but the recovery would be hell, and there's no guarantee it will work.

My girlfriend's son is 24 and around 400 lbs. He had to have a sleep study to get his CDL because he was at risk for apnea. He doesn't have it.

I cannot tolerate the nasal pillows. I still don't feel like I get enough oxygen.

Weight loss can probably reverse apnea in someone with moderate to mildly severe apnea, depending on their wait. Having an apnea/respiratory disturbance once every thirty seconds is something structural going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 02:07 PM

2,047 posts, read 859,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That’s fantastic that works for you. But do you have a sense of how generalizable it would be? Is there evidence to suggest that it would be a solution for a significant percentage of apnea sufferers?
Well, here’s the thing, does it work? Absolutely. In fact, I just got done taking a four hour nap. I woke up once at two hours. Took it out for a couple of minutes, posted here lol . Put it back in and went back to sleep for another couple of hours. I went through my recording and I did not make a sound the entire time. Slept like a baby. My body and my brain is screaming at me to just sleep more and more because I’m finally getting it. I don’t really know how to explain it.

The problem is, I think with using the mouthpiece too many people give up on it too early. The more I use it the more I’m becoming used to it and the less I notice it there. I do believe I can build up to the thing consistently for 6 to 8 hours a night. I’m getting there. But when I first got the thing, I was like there’s no way this is gonna work. I almost became another one of those people who just give up on it. It made my jaw, a little sore, yes, my teeth probably are shifting a little bit, But the bottom line is that it works. For me, I would’ve gave up, but I literally went into using this mouthpiece, telling myself, I either get used to this and make it work or I’m probably not long for this. There was a lot of motivation because not sleeping and choking all night was killing me!

For me, I go from having the worst apnea probably anybody has ever had to no snoring and complete steady, normal breathing. So I would believe it probably could work for most people. I am noticing changes for the better in my body and stuff as well. My face is starting to look normal again and not like I was in a barroom brawl the night before. Energy is returning, I don't nod off all day etc.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:09 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Serious, my friend had surgery for sleep apnea 20 years ago and I think they removed excess tissue that eventually grew back. He said the recovery was very painful.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:14 PM

2,047 posts, read 859,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The rise in sleep apnea generally follows the exponential growth in obesity. Get rid of modern wheat and go with a modified paleo/gluten free diet and you'll never gain weight. Glyphosate in modern wheat has caused more health problems than anything else, combined with high fructose corn syrup and soy/soybean oils.
This really is true. Look at pictures at the beach from the 1960s and 70s. You didn’t see a single person that was obese. Look at a picture at the beach today and like 95% of people are obese. Maybe not obese but they’re still overweight Chunky as I call them. I have friends who have moved to other countries and they eat well. They eat meat, they eat potatoes they eat vegetables, they eat, dessert, they drink wine, they eat, restaurants, they eat grocery stores, As they all lost weight. A lot of weight. I love America, but our diet and the things they’ve done to our food over here are absolutely atrocious. Most people don’t know this, but even if you go to the grocery store, and you just buy like a pack of chicken or beef, it’s still been saturated and some kind of preservative, saline water solution with chemicals in it. Do you think because you’re buying some raw meat at the store That it’s healthier. They still mess with even that. You have to really go out of your way to find purely natural and unmodified and untouched food these days.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:37 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I'm sure there are many who definitely need it but I question if everyone that is on CPAP (including those with mild apnea) actually needs to be using it.
I wonder what the research says about it?

Old 04-25-2024, 05:32 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
People are too fat, 70% of us, in America. Overweight and obese females and men are why sleep apena is so prevalent.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:51 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
This really is true. Look at pictures at the beach from the 1960s and 70s. You didn’t see a single person that was obese. Look at a picture at the beach today and like 95% of people are obese. Maybe not obese but they’re still overweight Chunky as I call them. I have friends who have moved to other countries and they eat well. They eat meat, they eat potatoes they eat vegetables, they eat, dessert, they drink wine, they eat, restaurants, they eat grocery stores, As they all lost weight. A lot of weight. I love America, but our diet and the things they’ve done to our food over here are absolutely atrocious. Most people don’t know this, but even if you go to the grocery store, and you just buy like a pack of chicken or beef, it’s still been saturated and some kind of preservative, saline water solution with chemicals in it. Do you think because you’re buying some raw meat at the store That it’s healthier. They still mess with even that. You have to really go out of your way to find purely natural and unmodified and untouched food these days.
That is 100% the case, the quality of our food supply is much worse than any other 1st world country. USDA is just now banning some food dyes and preservatives that are not allowed in many other countries. Our wheat is much worse quality than other countries as well. Most "organic" items that I've bought that don't have extra added ingredients or preservatives are usually imported from Canada or Europe.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:52 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
People are too fat, 70% of us, in America. Overweight and obese females and men are why sleep apena is so prevalent.
Yes, a fact that most people forget is that the COMBINED percentage of all obese and overweight people in the US in 1984 was 14%. This was before modern wheat, high fructose corn syrup, and soybean oils decimated the health in this country, causing a multi-billion dollar healthcare disaster.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:00 AM

7,854 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
I think it was Phillips that got sued for like $500 million recently. You might want to look into that because you know how the lawyers are once they get their teeth into something. They’re going after the CPAP companies. Saying that their devices can cause lung cancer into other things. Basically the same stuff smoking caused. They were able to prove it to a jury and got a $500 million settlement against Phillips.
Actually, Resmed spiked because Phillips had to take its products off the market. It had to do with foam used inside Phillips device.

Old 04-26-2024, 10:09 AM

449 posts, read 284,185 times
Quote:
Well, here’s the thing, does it work? Absolutely. In fact, I just got done taking a four hour nap.
I would suggest that it may not be working as good as you think it does if you need to take a 4 hour nap. Someone getting 8 hours (my assumption) of restful sleep during the night should not be having to take a 4 hour nap during the day. Your breathing may be quiet, but it appears that you're not getting enough good, restful sleep, possibly caused by something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness