Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 11:07 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,557,147 times

Advertisements

I have had sleep apnea for 12 years. At first it was severe but I was overweight. 4 years ago I lost 50lbs and though technically my apnea is only 3-4 per hour which normally means you don’t need cpap. However, I have a very small mouth and airway, very bad allergies and my oxygen level drops too low without the air blowing into me.

I can only wear it 4 hours per night which according to insurance companies is full compliance. It’s easier to use when I first go to bed and am really tired. People who snored horribly in the past had it but didn’t know it. I have known some very skinny people with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 11:08 AM

739 posts, read 844,742 times
I have mild apnea and am doing CPAP. Do I really need it? I don't know. Go to an Apnea board and they'll say definitely. I've found that in the CPAP community, if they're on CPAP then they want you to be on it too.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have had sleep apnea for 12 years. At first it was severe but I was overweight. 4 years ago I lost 50lbs and though technically my apnea is only 3-4 per hour which normally means you don’t need cpap. However, I have a very small mouth and airway, very bad allergies and my oxygen level drops too low without the air blowing into me.

I can only wear it 4 hours per night which according to insurance companies is full compliance. It’s easier to use when I first go to bed and am really tired. People who snored horribly in the past had it but didn’t know it. I have known some very skinny people with it.

I can only wear mine 4 hours as well! Thought it was just me. I have bad allergies as well and can relate.

I've dropped some weight as well and am not sure if I still need to be on it. Probably should do another sleep study but I can never sleep during those things.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:14 AM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
When you look at apnea in general, it’s amazing How just a slight shift can completely eliminate it. Yet we have to go through all these hoops and hurdles and sticking and gluing and fastening stuff to our face and in our mouths to try and defeat this. The mouthpiece that I wear literally shifts my lower jaw, probably about a quarter of an inch or less forward And that little tiny shift is the difference between life and death and suffocating all night. When the mouthpiece is in, it’s total silence. When the mouthpiece is out I am literally being suffocated all night long for 45 seconds at a time over and over again. You would think the powers that be in the medical field would’ve figured this out by now. There’s got to be a full proof easy remedy for this that’s just being overlooked. When I first discovered CPAP therapy I was like you’ve got to be kidding. People actually try and sleep like this, I thought this is stuff nightmares are made of? This would be a good idea on how to torture someone and I’m supposed to do this for the rest of my life? When in reality just pull my bottom jaw, a quarter inch or my tongue and all is well? Come on somebody’s got to come up with something. Maybe we can brainstorm ideas whoever comes up with a remedy probably will make themselves a billionaire.
That’s fantastic that works for you. But do you have a sense of how generalizable it would be? Is there evidence to suggest that it would be a solution for a significant percentage of apnea sufferers?

Old 04-25-2024, 11:16 AM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I have mild apnea and am doing CPAP. Do I really need it? I don't know. Go to an Apnea board and they'll say definitely. I've found that in the CPAP community, if they're on CPAP then they want you to be on it too.
While I’ve used a CPAP for more than two decades, I don’t know if I’m “in the CPAP community.” I don’t care at all about whether someone uses a CPAP, but uncontrolled apnea is a serious condition.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:19 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I can only wear mine 4 hours as well! Thought it was just me. I have bad allergies as well and can relate.

I've dropped some weight as well and am not sure if I still need to be on it. Probably should do another sleep study but I can never sleep during those things.
I did my second sleep study at home. You pick up the equipment and they show you how to use it.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
While I’ve used a CPAP for more than two decades, I don’t know if I’m “in the CPAP community.” I don’t care at all about whether someone uses a CPAP, but uncontrolled apnea is a serious condition.
I'm sure there are many who definitely need it but I question if everyone that is on CPAP (including those with mild apnea) actually needs to be using it.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I did my second sleep study at home. You pick up the equipment and they show you how to use it.
I've done a couple of those tests as well and could barely sleep with that equipment (especially with the finger device that measures oxygen).

Old 04-25-2024, 11:58 AM

2,060 posts, read 1,670,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
When you look at apnea in general, it’s amazing How just a slight shift can completely eliminate it. Yet we have to go through all these hoops and hurdles and sticking and gluing and fastening stuff to our face and in our mouths to try and defeat this. The mouthpiece that I wear literally shifts my lower jaw, probably about a quarter of an inch or less forward And that little tiny shift is the difference between life and death and suffocating all night. When the mouthpiece is in, it’s total silence. When the mouthpiece is out I am literally being suffocated all night long for 45 seconds at a time over and over again. You would think the powers that be in the medical field would’ve figured this out by now. There’s got to be a full proof easy remedy for this that’s just being overlooked. When I first discovered CPAP therapy I was like you’ve got to be kidding. People actually try and sleep like this, I thought this is stuff nightmares are made of? This would be a good idea on how to torture someone and I’m supposed to do this for the rest of my life? When in reality just pull my bottom jaw, a quarter inch or my tongue and all is well? Come on somebody’s got to come up with something. Maybe we can brainstorm ideas whoever comes up with a remedy probably will make themselves a billionaire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That’s fantastic that works for you. But do you have a sense of how generalizable it would be? Is there evidence to suggest that it would be a solution for a significant percentage of apnea sufferers?

I'm glad a simple mouth piece works to control apnea for you. Sounds like you have no need for a CPAP machine. However, a mouth piece did nothing for me. Neither did any other of the simple solutions.

As I said in a previous post, I came to using a machine very reluctantly. It was the observation by a friend that I clearly stopped breathing in my sleep that prompted me to go down this road. It did take a while, but I can wear the mask all night and get good sleep.

Old 04-25-2024, 12:45 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
The rise in sleep apnea generally follows the exponential growth in obesity. Get rid of modern wheat and go with a modified paleo/gluten free diet and you'll never gain weight. Glyphosate in modern wheat has caused more health problems than anything else, combined with high fructose corn syrup and soy/soybean oils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness