Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 11:55 PM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Yes I think it would. When I was in the hospital wide awake I noticed the air blowing in my nose with the canula felt so good and it was the perfect amount or speed whatever you call it. The CPAP is to harsh it rushes to fast and to hard into my nose. Even that stupid mask was no help and it smelled from the distilled water that gave it a weird smell when in that device.
No, it won’t work. It doesn’t seal off, and as such, it can’t create nor maintain the pressure required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I actually do not know anyone who took a sleep test and passed it. Maybe you "catch" apnea from the test? I am on my 3rd CPAP machine so that is about 20 years' worth of sleeping without snoring. If I fall asleep now, I will immediately wake up if I start to snore. My wife benefited from the CPAP because of that.

My dad was world-class snorer and did not have a CPAP. He suffered a stroke in his sleep that he survived but was paralyzed on his right side after that. I don't know if his apnea caused the stroke. He had normal blood pressure so that was not the cause.

I have a friend who had apnea but underwent a surgical procedure to remove part of his soft palate. He seems cured after that. I actually don't mind the CPAP but I don't use the full-face mask -- only the nose pillow mask.

Back in the olden days no one had apnea because they didn't have CPAP machines.
Right! I don’t think anyone is deemed a perfect sleeper when they are tested in a sleep lab. Just like everyone is felt to have some scoliosis when checked by a chiropractor. And maybe it’s true that there is some curvature of the spine compared to a manufactured plastic skeleton, but is it reali6 causing f6bctiinal issues?

Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I actually do not know anyone who took a sleep test and passed it. Maybe you "catch" apnea from the test? I am on my 3rd CPAP machine so that is about 20 years' worth of sleeping without snoring. If I fall asleep now, I will immediately wake up if I start to snore. My wife benefited from the CPAP because of that.

My dad was world-class snorer and did not have a CPAP. He suffered a stroke in his sleep that he survived but was paralyzed on his right side after that. I don't know if his apnea caused the stroke. He had normal blood pressure so that was not the cause.

I have a friend who had apnea but underwent a surgical procedure to remove part of his soft palate. He seems cured after that. I actually don't mind the CPAP but I don't use the full-face mask -- only the nose pillow mask.

Back in the olden days no one had apnea because they didn't have CPAP machines.
Isn’t that kind of like saying that back in the olden days, no one had smallpox, because they didn’t have the smallpox vaccine?

The existence of a disease or condition isn’t dependent upon a remedy for that condition.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No, it won’t work. It doesn’t seal off, and as such, it can’t create nor maintain the pressure required.
Why would it have to be sealed off? It's air blowing in, not around, the nostrils. Why does it work people with emphysema They wear it while on oxygen and breathe and sleep just fine. I don't think it's ever been tested on people with apnea just to be sure it would or wouldn't work right for them. So why is the Cannula so good under IV anesthesia because the patient is sleeping but when the patient sleeps at home oh then it's put this contraption on. I also noticed sometimes stopping breathing while sleeping is because the tongue falls back and blocks the airway in the throat. If my nose is clogged while sleeping I have to make sure my tongue doesn't flop backwards because of the position I'm settling into for sleep.

My problem is that loud sound in my ears from my sinuses. When they clog so bad and I have a lot more fluid stuck in my nose and sinuses that sound drives me nuts. When I sit up my sinuses drain then the sound goes away. It is a loud distorted acoustic sound.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Why would it have to be sealed off? It's air blowing in, not around, the nostrils. Why does it work people with emphysema They wear it while on oxygen and breathe and sleep just fine. I don't think it's ever been tested on people with apnea just to be sure it would or wouldn't work right for them. So why is the Cannula so good under IV anesthesia because the patient is sleeping but when the patient sleeps at home oh then it's put this contraption on. I also noticed sometimes stopping breathing while sleeping is because the tongue falls back and blocks the airway in the throat. If my nose is clogged while sleeping I have to make sure my tongue doesn't flop backwards because of the position I'm settling into for sleep.

My problem is that loud sound in my ears from my sinuses. When they clog so bad and I have a lot more fluid stuck in my nose and sinuses that sound drives me nuts. When I sit up my sinuses drain then the sound goes away. It is a loud distorted acoustic sound.
It doesn’t appear that you fully understand how a CPAP works to alleviate obstructive sleep apnea. The last P in the acronym is for “Pressure.” It uses air pressure (not just airflow) to open the closed off airway (the “obstruction” in obstructive sleep apnea). It doesn’t work without pressure, and if the system isn’t sealed off, the pressure won’t build, and the airway won’t be opened.

A cannula will work with emphysema because emphysema isn’t an obstruction of the airway, requiring pressurized air to open the airway.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I think this is just gonna be another one of these modern era, American diet and lifestyle diseases that people are getting. I’m not buying that It’s just something that people have to deal with. Our ancestors did not have sleep apnea like we see today. It was pretty rare. Random snoring was about as bad as it got.
42% of Americans are obese. 42%. Our ancestors were rarely obese. Also, we live longer, and sleep apnea incidence increases with age. If fewer people sat on their asses eating processed foods all day, we'd have fewer cases of sleep apnea (I'm not implying this is the cause of your sleep apnea.....only commenting on the general trend you're noticing).

Sleep apnea is a big deal. You should try the mask again.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Right! I don’t think anyone is deemed a perfect sleeper when they are tested in a sleep lab. Just like everyone is felt to have some scoliosis when checked by a chiropractor. And maybe it’s true that there is some curvature of the spine compared to a manufactured plastic skeleton, but is it reali6 causing f6bctiinal issues?
One of these is evidence-based medicine. The other is not. But your point is still a good one. However, "not perfect" doesn't imply sleep apnea. Going without oxygen for thirty seconds isn't a biologically normal thing.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
One of these is evidence-based medicine. The other is not. But your point is still a good one. However, "not perfect" doesn't imply sleep apnea. Going without oxygen for thirty seconds isn't a biologically normal thing.

Hard to say how common (and therefore "normal) it was, but the evidence for sleep paralysis, which is often associated with sleep apnea, goes back at least hundreds and possibly thousands of years.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Hard to say how common (and therefore "normal) it was, but the evidence for sleep paralysis, which is often associated with sleep apnea, goes back at least hundreds and possibly thousands of years.
"Common" and "normal" aren't the same thing, though. By "normal' here I mean biologically normal, as in a malfunction that represents a health risk. I'm certain our ancestors had all sorts of common, abnormal health situations, especially as they aged.

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Why are so many getting it?

Numbers are similar now as in the past other than more getting OSA due to many more people being overweight

Why now?

We just used to call it snoring, no big deal. Except for your partner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, we know more now about what it is or how it effects us and can easily treat with a CPAP or BiPAP!

No more no less

Doctors are always advancing in knowledge and treatmenyt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness